1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taking a course in school...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by jack-of-all-trades, Aug 25, 2001.

1. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Ok, i'm taking a C++ corse in school and i was planning on making some sort of program for BGII/TOB. I would like some suggestions of what i could do.

NOTE: This may not be compleated this year or even the year after, but i do plan on working on it. After all, i am only taking the first part of the two year corse this year.

Any suggestions are welcome!

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Perhaps this link can bring You inspirations of Your own http://plaza.v-wave.com/FireStorm/Tutorials/C2-Menu.htm

A less colourfull link. Best to get to other links around the world. http://www.research.att.com/~bs/C++.html

OR this with games:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:k-GBj1jMFQg:development.f reeservers.com/c_cpp/games.htm+c%2B%2B+games&hl=da

Personally as a DM I could Use a program that tests combat scenarios. For Instance I cant make my combats too hard on the players so I have to playtest every combat. Takes a long time. Say What should I throw at them? An Ankheg. Two level 3 fighters? one level 5 fighter with better armor? I could really use a program where I could plot in Hit Points, Armor Class and THAC0 of each creature on each side of the battle. And then it calculated the chances of succes and failure. A nice tool to see how much spellcasters Or magical items and so forth are needed to sway the tide of war. Just an Idea. A lean mean BattleCracker DungeonMaster tool.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 25, 2001).]

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I did something similar to this several months ago for a Decision Support System (DSS) course. Unfortunately, the time frame was quite limited (just a couple of months) so I had to be simplistic.

I put together a DSS that would determine the best party mix for Diablo II. When I say best, the goal was to not only look at the advantages and disadvantages of each class, but also to take into account each player's style of play. Basically, the intent of the system was to answer the oft-asked question: "I'm starting a new game, and I don't know what the classes are, or much else, can you please advise me?"

Because of the time frame, and my limited programming abilities, I created it in Excel (lots of computations and probabilities involved) with a VB interface. It actually worked out quite well. We ran a number of tests using real people, a mix of experienced and inexperienced players, and they all seemed pretty happy with how it turned out.

But, as I say, it was very simple. We limited the system to a simple three-part function, with each component comprised of about six parameters if I remember correctly. Even then, the statistical calculations involved were very, very extensive.

One of the things we wanted to do, but obviously didn't have the time for, was to extend the system to actually create each character, based on the results. Maybe this is something you want to consider? From what I know, the trickiest part would be to create a character file that is compatible with the BG series.

EDIT:
    Just saw your post Nobleman. Now that I think about it, applying such a system to AD&D in general, rather than to the CRPG versions, would make for a much more robust system. Maybe this is getting too complex, but, what about a system that would a) allow a DM to create a simple adventure, complete with encounter tables, and b) allow the DM to test the adventure by running a party through the encounters to check the difficulty. Hmm....dangerous thoughts are now rolling about in my head..... :) Based on your timeline, this could also apply to NWN...

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited August 25, 2001).]

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Keep those dangerous thoughts rolling :)
    A NWN tool could be awesome when constructing adventures. Super idea ;)

How Complex it can be made is far out of my reach to answer. I have no knowledge of the limits and posibilities of C++. But I have a feeling that someone who does will post here sooner or later.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Limits? There are no limits when you're talking about Infinity Engine based games - as long as you don't dream that you'll actually be able to change the engine itself and not files.
    Then again if you get the game source code... ;)

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Its actually the simplicity of an "BattleCracker DM toolkit" That is appealing. So usefull to a DM.

"The magicusing BattleCracker DM toolkit"
    Could possibly implement Saving Throws and Simple combat spells. and or magic resistance

"The Positioning and Magicusing BattleCracker DM toolkit" Could Implement Ranged fighting and movement in combat.

"The Advanced Positioning and magicusing BattleCracker DM toolkit" Culd implement obstacles simple tactics and other forms of magic than offensive.

"the Omnipresent Advanced Positioning and Magicusing BattleCracker DM toolkit" Could Implement Intelligence as another Parameter to sway the tide of war.

Did I overdo it? I can never tell :p

7. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] sorry that i haven't been able to respond in a while.

Any who, I'm not sure how complicated this will be able to be. I'm sure that i will make serveral failed versions of something before coming out with a good version. (i have no confidence right now as i don't even know the basics YET.)

Keep the ideas rollin!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.