1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tasing a ten year old... Wow!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blades of Vanatar, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34037284/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

I don't care how wild the kid is, Tasing a Ten yr old girl is not necessary. If you're an adult and in the law enforcement profession, Tasing a kid is never necessary. Never, ever, ever necessary. Never infinity!

And he is only receiving the suspension for not video taping it. What?! Not for using it on a little girl. WTF?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And he got a suspension of one week with pay. Taser a 10-yr old girl - get a week's worth of paid vacation! One thing I found odd about the article is why the girl's father seemed very angry, the mother had instructed the officer that it was OK to taser her if he thought it was necessary.

WTF? And further...

And there is definitely something seriously wrong with either this little girl or her mother to boot. You don't call police to your house because you cannot get your daughter to take a shower. Again, WTF?

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Since they are divorced, I doubt they agree about anything. But even if the mother ok'd it, which is idiotic, why was it necessary? There is no way anyone can convince me that a cop couldn't restrain a 10 yr old girl. If he truly couldn't, why is he a cop? Pathetic! The mother is at fault here too. Giving the ok to do something like that to your child is terrible. The number one rule for all parents is patience. No matter what the child has done, Tasing them is never the solution. What does that teach them? What path leads from there for the child? The wrong path.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You can't trust those brats nowadays. Better safe then sorry, I always say. What if she had drawn a gun? Or thrown a grenade?

Kitrax likes this.
  5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tase his testicles. While they're at it they should hook the mother up and tase her as well.

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    God, that's depressing

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I read this thread as "Tasting a ten year old... wow!" and become supremely worried about my idea of who Blades is...

8. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

"If the officer tried to forcefully put the girl in handcuffs, he could have accidentally broken her arm or leg, Noggle said."

What the... ok, kids aren't as tough as adult, but accidentally breaking an arm or a leg? WTF?

"Noggle said the girl will face disorderly conduct charges as a juvenile in the incident. "

For the love of... that's just sad.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Tasers should only ever be used in the same situation you would use a gun. This is just ... wow. How do you get people this stupid?

10. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I disagree, first I will remind everyone commenting here that you werent there you dont know what really happened.

Tasers are non lethal whats the problem?

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Because tasers CAN cause death and serious damage?

12. Shoshino

Media:
    from wiki, Ive heared of people being hurt after the use of a taser, from for example hitting their head on concrete, there has never been any real evidence that a single taser blast has caused death or injury, yes there are arseholes who shock people 5 or six times, and for that they should be accountable for their actions.

13. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

I'm pretty sure in 'military terms,' "non lethal" means something along the lines of "not intended to be fatal." It doesn't mean that it can't cause seizures, long lasting damage or death. There have been tests done on healthy full grown adults without any lasting affects... but I sure haven't heard of any tests done on 10 year old girls; if you can find one I'd be amazed. :p

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A Canadian government commission, inquiring into tasers, has made a much more critical assessment, namely recommending not to use them - for which the manufacturer Taser International promptly sued the Canadian government, for 'being biased'. Yes, how dare these Canadian bureaucrats find such findings.

Oddly, Taser International, in a first, has also acknowledged that tasers can cause somewhat more harm than advertised. For in light of their lawsuit in Canada inexplicable reasons they have recently cautioned users not to fire the weapon at the chest of a target because of a very, very low risk of an "adverse cardiac event".

So they're not quite 'child safe' then.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  15. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Yes as Rakhir has pointed out, I'm certain 10 year olds are not included in taser tests. And that wikipedia entry actually does point out quite a few deaths attributed to tasers by coroners. Aside from that quote you have included from the entry, there are quite a few points that also question the safety of tasers.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence Saber.:( It was a "wow", as in OMG, are you kidding me, I can't believe it, type of wow.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 39 seconds later... ----------

Twice this year in my home town, the police have used tasers on suspects and killed them. Not once, twice. They do kill. It depends on the health of the individual. Using it on a ten year old? It's never necessary. A cop should be able to handcuff a kid every time or they shouldn't be cops.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure about other countries, but in Canada, we've had quite a few taser-related deaths (I think around 20 or so).

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually Rahkir, non-lethal in 'military terms' really means non-lethal. Tasers, batons, and even fire hoses are all considered within the term "deadly force" -- which means use of minimum force necessary, up to and including lethal force, required to neutralize the threat.

The use of a taser is not considered to be 'non-lethal' but rather is a lower level of force which is considered safer to the target than other means such as batons and weapons.

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    As to Shaman's comment, yes, it really is that easy to break a child's arm. Or, at least, it can be. Some kids just have hard bones (I took some tumbles that would put other kids in casts, and came away with just scratches), but most a full grown adult can break the arm just by twisting it the wrong way.

Of course, I've never heard of a broken arm or leg being lethal short of gangrene setting in, whereas Tasers, in rare cases, can be. Unless the Taser in question had multiple power settings, and he used the lowest, I'd look into it.

20. Shoshino

Media:
    Yeah, well, slamming people on the floor applying solid metal cuffs and CSing people in the face hasnt been tested on 10 year olds, however the damageing effects of striking a man in the groin regardless of age has, showing the severe damaging and potentially lethal effects.

would you rather the officer strike her with his baton? lets bare in mind (UK dont know about the training in the US) the red, amber and green method of striking a suspect hasnt been tested on 10 year olds either.

and why does the suspect being a 10 year old matter? Ive met 10 year olds who are as big as my wife, age today doesnt matter so much, the UK required age testing to be carried out on anyone you see as being under 25, the law is 18. but the problem is that today teenagers are bigger and mature at a younger age.

I think people here are getting on an old fashioned band wagon.

she was agressive, he tased her, simple as.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.