1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tax Laws

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There's this commercial that I've seen on TV now for the past couple of months. It's a group of tax attorneys and they claim that if you are past due on your IRS payments, they can seriously reduce the amount of money you owe to the IRS. In the commerical, you see testimonials from previous customers. These people owed gobs of money to the IRS - in some cases over $100,000. These people claim that by using this tax service, they were able to settle with the IRS for about 10% of what they owed.

Now, in order to accumulate over $100,000 in debt to the IRS these people have to either be wealthy, or have accumulated that debt over many years. My question is this: I pay my taxes every year. If other people don't, and these people are likely far wealthier than I am, why do they get off for a small fraction of what they owe?

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hah, it's the age old case of the rich get richer while the poor get poorer hun. The state isn't geared towards helping people who are honest. Just the rich lay-about crooks!

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The attorneys are using a deceptive ploy (say it ain't so, Joe...). The IRS automatically assume a higher income that you could possibly have for those who do not pay their taxes. Once the person files and proves income, the tax amount for a specific year is reduced -- typically by tens of thousands of dollars. The other thing a tax attorney can do is negotiate for reduction in fees (although they typically charge a significant amount for the service).

Most taxpayers will save nearly the same amount by simply filing late and applying to have some of the fees waived (the IRS goes through cycles where fee waiver is automatic).

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    T2 is correct. IMHO they are crooks of the highest degree. Anybody who is premitted to practice in front of the IRS is allowed to negotiate for the reduction of penalties and interest (interest is much harder). When a proper return is filed the proper tax is assessed.

There are examples when you can negotiate with the IRS to have your tax reduced or wiped out. An example that comes to mind is I know someone who went to prison for a really long time. To pay for his defense he cashed in his retirement plan. This was a taxable event, but with him in prison and no cash the IRS was never going to get payment.

A large percentage of these cases where people owe a lot of money do not involve income taxes, they are for trustee taxes (federal withholding, FICA, Medicare). These ones really bother me as the employer is basically stealing the employee's withholding and using it for either their own or their companies benefit. The IRS agrees with me and the penalties assessed are 100% of the amount. This adds up to a lot of money really quickly. Now any good CPA or attorney is going to work to get the penalty waived.

As a final comment the IRS does not forgive/eliminate the amount of tax due if they have any hope of collecting. If someone has real estate they are perfectly willing to put a lien on the property and either wait or force a sale. They never mention this in the commercial. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.