1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Technical problem - chvidimage.cpp

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Jeff Heikkinen, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Jeff Heikkinen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I recently attempted to install the original IWD for the first time, and I'm having a problem. After I create my party and have the initial conversation with the guy in the bar, the game crashes every time. The error message is

"An assertion failed in ChVidImage.cpp at line number 1829".

I can't find any references to this exact error message in English anywhere on the Web. This is if I do *not* use 3D mode; if I do it dies even earlier, I forget where exactly. My computer is by no means the latest and greatest but it's more powerful than anything that was concieved of when IWD came out (enough so that I suspect this is, in some way, the problem). I use WinXP, Athlon 1800+, 512 MB RAM, and a 128 MB Radeon 9550 vid card. I have tried turning down the amount of hardware acceleration for both sound and video because I read somewhere that this might help, it didn't.

Would installing the expansion help? I do have it (I bought the Ultimate Collection some time ago, I just haven't got around to playing the original until now).

[ November 16, 2004, 06:38: Message edited by: Jeff Heikkinen ]

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Well considering that HoW also contains patch version 1.41 that might help. Though it looks more like an error creeped in during installation.
    So I'd say its better you start off with a fresh install with HoW. If nothing else, it sure makes shopping easier.

3. Jeff Heikkinen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'll try that later today or tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanbks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Well, I did a complete de & re, then installed HoW, and it seems to have worked rather well. I was able to play through the first bit of the game, enough to learn that charging the first group of goblins head-on is a serious mistake :).

[ November 18, 2004, 02:22: Message edited by: Jeff Heikkinen ]

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Oh yes... Be carefull with thoose goblins.
    I also had to learn the hard way :bang:

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

:lol: The Orc dont hit you nearly as hard do they :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.