1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The 100 Games You Must Own

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Harbourboy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Empire magazine have released their list of the 100 Games You Must Own:

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/athome/

Nice write-up of Baldur's Gate II.

How many do YOU own? I have 3. Wahey, what a gamer I am.

[ November 04, 2004, 22:29: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I own ten of them. Given the wide range of genres and game types that they cover I would have to say that is a respectable number but I am sure others here will prove me wrong.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I had 4. And wtf!? Why did they have Deus Ex invisible war, rather than Deus Ex? Clearly a shabby scheme, picking only from recent titles. It should be listed top100 most recent games to own.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Got 9... but since these are all relatively new games and half of them are console ones, that list's hardly definitive in any way.

5. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Well there are games older than Deux Ex on there (I think), Torment is surely older (or at least around the same age).

I've got eight of those games, although that includes a few that I've bought but not ever been able to get into playing.

6. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I currently own 19 of the games from the list.

Another 8 on there I used to have.

If they'd put the original Deus Ex and the first two Thief games (all of which they say are better), that'd be another 3 games. Still, good to see they truly excellant System Shock 2 on there.

But why in the world did they ghoose Escape From Monkey Island? Curse of Monkey Island was much better. A lot funnier.

And Half Life 2 isn't even out yet. What in the world is it doing on their list. Same with Halo 2. I'm sure they'll both blow me away when they do come out, but until then, they don't belong on there!

edit: right. Half Life 2 isn't on the list. I'm an idiot.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, but they did mention it was supposed to be a list of games that you could find at your local shop (although I'd like to see the shop that still stocks Planescape:Torment).

And Tal: when do you ever get time to actually PLAY games?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have 8, if my count is correct. I did add FFX even though I dont have it but I have played through the whole thing.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nine, but a couple of them I haven't played yet (still waiting for my BG2 addiction to end).

10. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

And not hampered by such a poor control system. Worst of the four as far as I'm concerned.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, I don't... not for the last 3 years or so anyway. Pretty much all that I had off that list I've played at least 2 years ago. The only recent one would be Doom 3, but I only played it for a few hours to see that I didn't really like it enough to play it any more.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

10 for me. Most of them are current consoles though. Where are all the great old snes and pc games like 'Secret of Mana' and 'Civilization 1 and 2'

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I own 25, the only one that really belonged on the list is Grim Fandango.

14. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

4, but as said, not really a good list.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I think they had Escape from monkey, since it was the last one released. Also, yes they have PS:T, and BG2. However, if PS:T 2 was released, as well as BG3, then they would be there, over the originals. Seems it's the 100 top sequels to buy IMO

16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Woo, I have three. I'm hardcore! I'm hardcore!

Glad Grim Fandango was there, but where the hell is Star Control 2? Or Master of Orion 2? Or Curse of Monkey Island (Murray alone makes this game worth playing)?

Surprised to see Smackdown HCTP on there, but not No Mercy (even though it's for N64). I guess us wrestling fans do have some stroke after all!

17. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ugh some of those picks are awful: Diablo 2, Halo, Halo 2(Not even out yet), Fable, Deus X IW, JAK AND DAXTER, Neverwinter Nights, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and the list goes on. What a load of hype and crap. I trust this list as far as I can throw it.

I own 12 of these, and I'm only proud to own about half that number.

18. avengerofholiness Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bah, most of the list is trash. Diablo 2 is probably the most addictive, repetitive, and amazing action rpg ever, before version 1.07 that is...

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Whoops. Read it was for avaliable in stores only. Then why is Planescape and Baldur's Gate II there? BI's gone bust so you'd have to scour the planes to find one.

[ November 05, 2004, 07:45: Message edited by: Abomination ]

20. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I own 14 of them. However, if I count in the ones I've played and finished or I used to own the number would amount to 25. Horrible list, by the way. They have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

BUT!

I guess that explains it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.