1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The begining of the end for the EU?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Darkwolf, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] Italian minister said Italy should consider quitting the euro

It appears that the EU may be starting to unravel bit. Nations rejecting the consititution, and now at least one nation considering abondoning the currency, and given the slide of the Euro probably more than one, things are not looking so well for what was supposed to be the worlds next superpower.

While is is still very early to ask, an interesting question is, can the EU continue to make any substantive progress, and will it ever achieve what was intended? For the record, my belief is that theoretically yes, but in reality, probably not.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That would be dire news for the Republic of Ireland, as they were the ones to benefit most. I don't think the British north will be so keen on a united Ireland now.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The EU has gone too long of a road to fall apart now. The worst that might happen is an split where a couple of significant nations break free from the EU. The Netherlands and UK would be my guesses but I doubt even this will happen. Euro is indeed in trouble since the two biggest Euro nations (France and Germany) refuse to follow the agreements and this is causing great frustration in those who play by the rules, I doubt that Italy leaves the EMU, the change back would be too dramatic for the economy, it simply would not be worth it at least not at this point.

As for EU becoming the next super power it's doubtful since the EU is far from united and probably will ever be completely united. Not that I would want it either. I'm not all that much for increasing the political power of EU on the international field, and I don't support a common foreign policy. A common economical policy I however do agree of since I believe it in the end will be the only thing that can guarantee our ability to stay competitive in front of the future challenges.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to echo Morgoroth's comments here. I do not think that the term "superpower" beyond economic was what the EU had intended. Granted, by joining economic forces it also grants you some political power, but that is under the assumption that the vast majority of countries within the EU would agree to a common political or foreign policy - something that is very unlikely to occur. So the idea of the EU becoming a superpower in the traditional sense was not the motivation of the EU, and certainly the idea of a superpower in the military sense, was never a goal of the EU.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, and admiting that my knowledge is limited, I have a feeling that American business interests would likely not have been too fond of the EU becoming a serious rival economically. I can see them using whatever tactics possible to sabotage the whole system.

The American Government, on the other hand, likely would have supported the deal as it increases the chance for international stability.

Whatever the case, I don't see the EU ever becoming more than a very loose economic federation of allies -- the cultures involved are just too entrenched to sign over vast areas of social and other policies to a central organization.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Does anyone else find this ironic?

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Slightly, yes AMaster. Mark Steyn (a columnist) once wrote a series of pieces on how France is trying very hard to be the "big boy" in Europe these days -- according to him, France wanted to dominate the Union so they could deal more effectively with the US. It stands to reason that if they want to dominate the EU the way the US tends to dominate the world these days, they'd take on US stances and bend rules for their own benefit. Sad but true.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The EU is a project that is has been rushed forward much faster than anyone could ever anticipate. This means that it hopefully can survive these roadblocks it now encounter but the fact that things have been rushed without properly letting people accomodate themselves to all the new things is the main reason it is getting problems now.

The talk about a EU superpower is mostly heard from the European ecquivalent of the American think thanks, the intellectual elite is very keen on it, including myself. Even among us though the most optimistic of futures dont hold a united European superpower for a decade or two. The thought about a European superstate is widely rejected among the populaces in Europe and pretty much among those in political power too. The only ones talking about an EU superstate are Europeans like me with delusions of grandeur and paranoid yankees like you Darkwolf. =P

Edit: I have never been known for my humility, even though I am not really a part of the intelluctual elite I am talking about I pretty much share their views.

[ June 03, 2005, 21:49: Message edited by: joacqin ]

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

[​IMG]
    I can see that humility doesn't exactly run in your family, Joacqin :D Ah, well, I've been accused of arrogance in times past myself.

How come no one ever calls me a "paranoid Canadian"?

In this case, though, I'd like nothing better than to see a united Europe take on the U.S. head to head (economically, that is) -- comptetition is always good for economies!

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'd like to see a united Europe cooperate with the US to invade China. Viva la imperialism!

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I most certainly do, since I posted it in the first place and it was meant to reveal a bit irony in how the two big boys of the continent act. ;)

Domestic European politics has very little to do with the US. Allthough I feel that the French support for common European troops is in part an attempt to compete with the US ability to station troops just about anywhere around the globe, the French have far greater problems and intrests with EU than fighting the US dominance.

The leftist intellectual elite yes, but they are just a bunch of dreaming hippies anyway. :p

12. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I like those quotes in the modern Swedish 20 seconds style. Masoni said, paraphrased, the Euro sucks and Trichet is a bitch. Trichet is the head of the European Central Bank. And like I said in the other thread, the problem with the Euro is, there is one currency but no common economic policy. And that's a serious problem.

The EU has the problem of winners and losers, because it's impossible to harmonize the economic policy. But the Central Bank has a clear line, and that's monetarian stability is the highest priority.

And this creates a situation where countries like the UK, Finland, Spain, Austria and Sweden profit while Italy, France and Germany loose.

Italy has come into recession. And the usual Italian answer on recession has been to devaluate the Lira. And actually, the Italians aren't the only ones that are kind of unhappy with the Central Bank. There are many demanding, that the Central Bank should change it's monetary policy and devaluate the Euro. (I personally haven't made up my mind about this).

To is there an end to the EU: No, I don't think so. Since the first agreement about coal, the European economies have grown into eachother in an irreversible way. Or said in other words, if the EU desintegrates, it will also draw Microsoft, Heineken, Amazon, Nokia and General Motors with it in it's grave, because this companies suddenly would sit on useless facilities in the wrong places. I wonder how people would bitch around, if beer prices suddenly rose 50%.

Yeah, that's the problem. The whole 3% was a foolish idea from the beginning. It was set up, because they was neither the competence or the political body to harmonize economic politics. Yet they've written currency priorities in stone. Huge mistake.

By the by, I think it's ironic that Germany and France always have to take the blame for the Scandinavians and Finns ****ing Portugal. The northern countries pushed the EU-law through, that forbade Portugal the cardboard production, that made the Portuguese economy plunge as a consequence and missing the criteria.

[ June 03, 2005, 22:39: Message edited by: Iago ]

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hate to disagree with you, Morgoroth, but it has always seemed to me that the purpose of the EU has been to boost and augment the economies of the members so they would not be so easily pushed around by the biggest economic bully on the block -- the U.S.A. France especially seems to have a paranoia about the U.S. being too powerful, though since they may have a point, perhaps "healthy fear" would be a better term.

14. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think that's more an North-American view. From here it looks like it's mainly about Schengen-Dublin and the free circulation of people.

15. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

When I saw that France rejected the constitution, I cried. What we are witnessing here is no less than the abortion of what some of us had hoped to be the second superpower.

16. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

joacqin,

Paranoid? Possibly. About the EU, hardly. I have had no doubt that this would be little more than a washed down hybrid NATO/NAFTA (minus anyone on this side of the pond of course). Maybe in another 50 years when the individual cultures of Europe have been watered down sufficiently by immigration something like what you want may occur, but I still have faith that America will rise to the occasion, and will hardly be sublimated beneath the power of the EU.

Personally, I think that the key to success is going to be western Europe relinquishing some power and starts giving some respect the eastern European nations. Barring a major historical event (by that I mean something that makes 9/11 look minor), until western Europe changes its attitudes about its eastern neighbors, there will always be too much contention for anything more than the occasional minor agreement. I will be happy to admit that my opinion is that of an outsider, who has never visited eastern or western Europe, and that my opinion is based upon what I have read in the press, and speaking with a small number of eastern Europeans (for some reason they are more willing to talk politics, and I seem to run into more of them :confused: ).

The sad thing is that you have your sights set on the wrong super power. The US is not anywhere near the threat that is rising in China. If you want to talk about something to get paranoid about, that would be the place to start.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you. ;)

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The think thanks here eye China as much if not more than the US. It is just that the US is more adventurous at the moment and thus makes a better focus. It is also as LKD says, a European superpower would try to rein in the US but hopefully through cooperation and trade. The very fact that the US have a powerful friend that might frown upon some of the more "bold" actions might make the US chill for a bit.

I am in favour of a multi polar world, the way we have it today with only one super power is way too dangerous. If that superpower in some way went completely out of control or berserk there would be no one to stop it and in the first place no one to discourage it from going berserk if it happens to put a proper mad man at the helm. I have no faith in humanity and am convinced that we will put more mad men in power with the full blessing of the people and if that happens anywhere, be it the US, a fully fledged EU or China I hope there will be powers to stand against it.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This stuff moves in cycles. The current politicians are using their "bold actions" to further their political ends. Once America has wasted enough of its blood and treasure, and it's no longer so politically advantageous, people here will return to their senses and take a more rational approach, regardless of what the powers in Europe are designing.

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Except for the occasional as unavoidable as noisy turmoil, Europe is a success story, and will continue to be. Europe as a whole has never done better economically and politically.

We went a long way together, and after all I have no doubt that Europe will get over this. It's a time of re-orientation.

So: The begining of the end for the EU? Only in your dreams, Darkwolf.

The EU will continue to feed paranoid armageddonite US conspiracy nuts like them here (or them here, not to mention here for that instance) for quite a while :p :rolleyes:

[ June 06, 2005, 04:11: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.