1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Commonly Confused Words Test

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ofelix, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    The Commonly Confused Words Test
    http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=14457200288064322170

I bet Chevalier would want to take this one ;) .

Intermediate
    You scored 92% Beginner, 78% Intermediate, 73% Advanced, and 60% Expert!
    You have a good understanding of beginner and intermediate level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of the beginner and intermediate level questions correct. This is a good score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got a respectable score.

Wow! I did not think I'd score that high I think it's pretty good for me considering english is not my native language.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I'm a flippin' attorney, so I had better know the language . . .

English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 93% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
    Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

I Figured out which one I got wrong. Oh well, I'm not too unhappy.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Lo, am I smart! :) Now if I could just learn to spell.

4. Ofelix

Media:
    Well well my skills aren't that good compares to yours it seems. Still I am happy with it.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    dmc is a genius!

For me:
    A grandma who majored in english helped and all the years I've lived should mean something.

After all I am the Board's official Venerable Sage! :roll:

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not bad for someone that never finished school.

7. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I've always had trouble with the easy stuff...

You scored 78% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

8. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Good lord, Higher score than I expected, considering I don't speak English as my first language.

EDIT : Sarevok, how could you get the exactly same score.

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I think I got the phenomenon question wrong, I put phenomena instead, was that wrong? Also, remember the other question: 'for a while, a while, and awhile', I chose all 3, was that wrong?

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Guess all those collegiate English courses paid off.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 86% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

I'm fairly disappointed with these results as it means I must have got a couple wrong. Really, for anybody who has English as their first language, this test SHOULD be pretty easy. However, I am well aware that English grammar is not taught at schools as well these days as it used to be.

12. Nakia

Media:
    I got 'phenomena' wrong. The correct answer is 'phenomanon' Phenomena is the plural or one of the plural forms.

The three 'whiles' are correct.

The answers are here: web page

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I missed the whiles and further/farther. Oh well, won't happen again.

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Got all these ones wrong

5. He __________ to the banquet
    18. In a lemon meringue pie recipe
    22. That rug will be a nice
    26. Her parents bought her the
    32. The bombing had an adverse
    35. She complains to
    37. The amazing still flight of the

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly the same results as HB - 100/100/100/86.

Missed 31 and (I think) 38

16. Ofelix

Media:
    Okay I got the worst score... Does it mean I am bad english speaker or a pretty decent foreinger who speak english? I am disapointed by my scores now sigh...

17. Blog Gems: 23/31

You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

I always screw up the me/I thing.

Seeing the multiple choice options made me think twice though. If I had to type the word in myself, I would have done so much worse...

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Sorry, Ofelix. If you want an ego boost, try getting Arabwel to take the test. :hahaerr:

19. Nakia

Media:
    It wouldn't suprise me if Arabwel came up with all 100%. She doesn't have to type anything to take the test. :)

20. Ofelix

Media:
    Still no sign of Chevalier, What's going on? :lol: :grin:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.