1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The e-cigarette...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, May 20, 2009.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6547134

Have you heard of this? I guess it vaporizes nicotine into water vapor you breathe...and it even has a snazzy LED to mimic a cig's orange glow! :) Apparently, you can also add your own flavors to the mist, since presumably, it's tasteless...and we all know people suck on cancer sticks for the taste.......right? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

'Vaping' fast becoming a popular alternative to smoking

SALT LAKE CITY -- If you find yourself standing next to someone who is smoking but don't smell anything, chances are they're not really smoking, but "vaping," as some say.

My colleague Manoli Dakis has been smoking for about 15 years. I was curious when I found out he was converting to a new thing called the electronic cigarette, or e-cigarette.

"I could fill this room up. I could smoke in here for an hour and you probably wouldn't even know I did it," Manoli said.

He's right! Though he puffed on a device with a lighted LED light on what normally would be the combustion end of a cigarette, I smelled nothing.

Manoli was exhaling mostly water vapor; some smokers prefer a hint of fragrance like mint or chocolate. It brings into question whether secondhand cigarette smoke is even an issue with this device.

Dissecting the e-cigarette, I found the LED light, a battery, an electronic chip, an airflow sensor, an ultrasound vaporizer and the inserted nicotine cartridge.

When smokers inhale, the atomization chamber is triggered, vaporizing the nicotine solution. Cartridges come with high, medium or low nicotine content

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    And soon enough probably opium, meth and the like ...

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This seems a lot like low-fat ice cream or diet cookies or low-cal burgers. It's just wrong and on par with the premature withdrawal method of birth control.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Smokers will never quit...some of my favorite smoking quotes, from Denis Leary...

Denis Leary: "It doesn't matter how big the warnings on the cigarettes are; you could have a black pack, with a skull and crossbones on the front, called TUMORS, and smokers would be around the block going, "I can't wait to get my hands on these f*****g things! I bet ya get a tumor as soon as you light up!"

Denis Leary: "We tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We f*****g tried. OK? You wanted your own sections in the restaurants. We gave you that, huh. But that wasn't enough for you. Then you wanted the airplanes. We gave you the whole godamn plane! You happy now? I will guarantee you if the plane is going down, the first announcement you're gonna hear is: "Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camel non-filters, I'll see you on the ground."

Denis Leary: "I'm gonna get one of those tracheotomies. So I can smoke two cigarettes at the same time. I'm gonna get nine tracheotomies all the way around my neck. I'll be Tracheotomy Man! "He can smoke a pack at a time! He's Tracheotomy Man!"

Denis Leary: "Smoking takes ten years off your life. Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair, kidney dialysis, adult diaper f*****g years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright?"

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm actually all for the e- cigarette...it has no harmful 2nd hand elements to it. If someone wants to kill themselves, by all means, do so....but with 2nd hand smoke with regular cigarettes, they're killing everyone around them too, and *that* is what I think is wrong.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually, if all the e-cig gives you is nicotine, you won't be killing yourself by smoking it. Nicotine is highly addictive, but it is hardly the worst thing you find in cigarettes, especially as it concerns carcinogens.

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd get one. Sounds like it helps you quit. Nicorette does something similar but it tastes of wee and looks like you're smoking a tampon

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    This could be helpful for those that want to quit, yes.

I've heard that nicotine isn't healty on it's own, though. Not nearly the worst thing in a cigarette, but if so this sounds more like 'low-fat' than 'no-fat'. I don't remember specifics, and I'm too lazy atm to look anything up.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

HAHAHA! That's hilarious. But if it goves a nicotine addict the chance to feed his addiction without poisoning the rest of us I'm all for it.

10. nunsbane

nunsbane

I'm all for the people I care about completely ridding themselves of the ghastly habit. And I'm not calling it a ghastly habit because of the recent ad campaign demonization of smoking. I'm calling it ghastly because of the drastic health effects and the fact that it will take those people early.

E-cigs are preferable as an alternative since they do not contain the tar, arsenic and other carcinogens, as Aldeth points out, nicotine is not the worst of the dozens of toxins that you find in standard cigs.

E-cigs also address the ritualistic aspect of cigarette addiction. My father quit in his fifties but had a hard time with it, partly, because he rolled his own and needed to busy his schedule with something else to completely quit.

If I can't have my wish that they quit, I would prefer them just get the nicotine fix with these goofy E-cigs.

11. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It sounds nice in theory, but it's disappointing. My mom got one a while back, but it didn't satisfy her craving. she tried combining it with occasional smoking, but ended up setting it aside after a month. it didn't help her. i don't know what the problem is exactly, maybe it doesn't supply enough nicotine, or maybe smokers want to smoke smoke.:(

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    If it's a lack of nicotine, they do have different dosage canisters. Maybe she needed to try a stronger variety?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.