1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The end of Black Isle

Discussion in 'Playground' started by trillex, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A copy/paste from RPGDot

Sources close to Black Isle Studios let us know today that Interplay has effectively closed BIS and laid off around 14 staff. Here's a quote from our source:

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the "good" folks at Interplay have laid off everyone at BIS. Van Buren has been "shelved," as tha geniuses at IPLY have put it. Console only is the word of the day now. Even though Van Buren was half-way finished, the 'tards in charge have decided they want to do Exalted console and FOBOS 2. The simple fact they are making FOBOS2 even when FOBOS hasn't shipped and is hated by the Fallout community says a lot about their intelligence. Not to mention Van Buren would be the only game they could possibly ship by X-mas next year.

So, BIS is no longer. Anytime you see the BIS logo on a future product, know that no one who was associated w/ BIS actually worked on it. BIS is nothing more than a sticker that IPLY slaps on their future product.
    Damien "Puuk" Foletto subsequently posted on the Interplay boards:

Today was my last day at the (former) BIS, as it was for my whole team. I just wanted to say farewell to the best fans in the industry, and thanks for all the great feedback and support. I don't know where I'll end up, but know that we were all avid gamers and wanted to make the PC games that not only we wanted to play, but also the fans. But this isn't goodbye. Puuk will still flow through various boards (even this one, but without the BIS logo), and I still look forward to shooting ideas back and forth with my fellow gamers.

Original URL: http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php#23674

I have no words to describe what I feel right now. Such a grand company.. ruined and lost forever. Ugh, this doesn't help my flu.

[ December 09, 2003, 14:13: Message edited by: Trillex Le'for ]

2. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This really SUCKS :(

BIS was a great company, I'm gonna miss their games.

DAMN YOU INTERPLAY! :mad:

3. Manus Gems: 13/31

Well, I'll post here so as to even it up with the other one.

The fall of Interplay was a sad day indeed, but it has spanned a long time. Once they were a noble company, and well respected for their dedication. All that has changed, had changed long before this event was ever even considered. I shall miss Black Isle indeed. I grieve for the death of two bodies here, as Interplay is also long dead. Are there really many left alive?

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Gather your angry mobs! Crucify the pretenders of Interplay! Create your own company and hire all the BIS peoples (Sorcerer's Place Studios ... Has a ring to it)! Boycot the pretenders games! Burn Consoles! Attack people who post a second thread on the same subject! Waffle mindlessly and overpunctuate!

5. trillex Gems: 13/31

Don't attack me :( I didn't notice the other topic before now.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.