1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Gomery Inquiry

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Beren, May 31, 2005.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought of posting this in the Canada election thread, but I thought that would snowball the slightly off-topic leanings that I noticed in that thread. Would be irresponsible of me as a moderator. ;)

Anyway, I'll open this thread as a general discussion of the Gomery inquiry. Let me fellow Canucks vent some steam. ;)

I found this at any rate:

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1117489223472_112898423?hub=topstories

Seems to me like Chretien is sweating a little under his collar.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, Beren old boy, I couldn't load your article (I HATE these frigging school computers) but I don't think Chretien has anything to worry about.

Now, don't get me wrong -- the inarticulate bas***d is guilty as sin and as crooked as a dog's hind leg, but he has so many connections in the halls of power that he'll never pay a single fine or spend 5 minutes in jail.

I think the federal Liberals will get a firm hard slap on the wrist, pay a fine of some sort, perhaps they will sacrifice a few low level functionaries (who will then get massive under the table kickbacks of some sort for "taking one for the team") and they'll get voted in by a landslide in the post-Gomery election.

How is that possible? Like I said before, Ontario is controlled by Lib sympathizers who always get a good deal from their buddies, the Atlantic provinces are easy to buy, Quebec won't vote for a national party but rather for the Bloc (which splits the opposition vote, not that many Quebecois would ever vote for the Conservatives or the NDP) and the population in the West just doesn't have the numbers to make a significant difference. The inquiry will just be a red herring that in the end signifies nothing.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Good grief. So basically, if he likes the result, he'll give it an okey-dokey, but if he doesn't, then he'll call it a pack of lies. Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

And I agree with everything LKD says, with one addendum - the conservatives would have a chance if they a) weren't still seen as the western equivalent of the Bloc, and b) if they weren't so, umm, well, - conservative (as silly as that sounds, the PC's did quite well when they were more towards the centre and didn't incur voter wrath with the GST)

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

So Jean wants to wait to see what the judge says before he decides which side of his mouth to spout off from? The biggest reason that the Liberals stay in power is because the Conservatives run out of material once you get past the bit about the Liberals being crooked.

There's going to be some heat from the inquiry, Paulie will call his election, there will be another Liberal Minority with the NDP able to put them over the top, and not much will change. I agree that some flunkies will fall on their swords, but the ones at the top will be spared.

But who won't be in Ottawa next time? I doubt that Belinda Stronach will get re-elected. The people of her riding voted conservative, but got another Liberal. They won't soon forget that flip flop. Any Liberal MP that gets hit in the crossfire of the Gomery Report won't likely be on the ballot.

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with Paulie, Stevie and Jacko (Dumb, Dumber and Shemp) with the Bloc Quebecois...

5. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think the biggest problem the conservatives will have is two fold.

1) they keep beating a dead horse rather than advance business in parliament. The would earn more support if they truly did what Canadians wanted and that is help run the country. Enough with all the stand stills. Let's see who's head falls on the block and get on with things in the meantime.

2) someone offer them a big old shaker of salt to go with their feet. The seem to be putting them in theirs mouths alot with sexist and demeaning remarks.

If the Tories want to even come close to having a chance they need some major party reforms, platform reforms and and a general PR overhaul. They have to do what's best for the country and right now it's letting the inquiry do it's job. There's plenty of time for an election.

IMO the longer this thing goes the better it could go for the Tories. Will all those who are really responsible get punished? I doubt it. For now get back to making this country run like the best friggin country it should be. Who knows. it may turn out that the Gomery Inquiry finds solid evidence of involvement on the part of Paul Martin. Better for them to take that chance and wait then call a rush election and lose again.

6. Gnarfflinger

Istolil is right. Get on with running the country. Let the Liberals breathe easy, then they'll make even bigger jackasses out of themselves. In the mean time, develop an actual vision of Canada, that you will pursue if elected (even in a minority). Push this vision on the Liberals who should be listening to you if they want to avoid a premature election. The Tories have really not impressed me this time around. I still passionately hate the Liberals and NDP, and still think that the Bloc should be arrested for treason, but I'm not impressed with the Tories...

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

And THAT'S the real crux of the matter, isn't it, Gnarff? We know that the Liberals wouldn't sell their own Grandmother -- if she could be rented out for a bigger profit -- and that they are a pragmatic party rather than an ideological one.

What Westerners want is a right of centre ideological party that we can really get behind. One with a vision of Canada we can respect and work for. Sadly, the Conservatives have only really achieved anything when they slid to the centre (meet the new boss, same as the old boss) and stopped following the ideals they claimed to espouse. Brian Baloney didn't help matters bu hitting us with the GST.

The only party with a firm ideology that they constantly espouse and follow through with is the NDP. I respect their ability to combine pragmatism with ideology -- they got a very leftist consolidation in the budget in return for their support. That said, though, they're really nothing but communists. They have proved in every province they've run that they do nothing but ruin economies.

The Green party is ideological, but they're also -- what's the proper scientific term for them? ah, yes, got it -- LOSERS! They are a one note band in an orchestral world. I hope they all choke on their tofu burgers.

8. Gnarfflinger

We don't want a one trick pony, but we don't want them turning tricks for 5 years either. The Conservatives have a lot to gain if they decide what they want and actually talk to the crooks--er Liberals...

Actually what pissed me off about Brian Bullhooey was the Free Trade deal that threatens to shut down factories in Canada if the Dollar gets too high...

And the fact that he called an election when I was 17 and too young to vote instead of taking his full term and letting me vote then...

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From what I've heard, at least one of Chretien's buddies has sat on a million do or so take during the scandal without having to do so much as a single day's work for it. If what I've heard is true, I'd love to see Chretien subject to indictable prosecution.

And yes, Depaara, I see your point that even so he'll likely squeak by without that kind of repercussion.

I guess by 'sweating a little under his collar' I guess I meant it in more than one context. Politicians in the prime spotlight tend to be sensitive towards how they'll remembered in the history books. Brian Baloney wanted to be immortalized in Canadian history as the great PM who brought Quebec and the rest of Canada together with all that Meech Lake and Charlottetown nonsense. Look where that got him. Chretien is doing anything he can to extricate himself from the mess for the sake of his image. Fat lotta good this will do him. Gomery's going to be stuck to his name like gum in the hair well after he's left for the next life.

Guess its kinda like Bill Clinton. His presidency won't be remembered for his attempts to reform health care, or involvement in the Balitic or for whatever else. The Clinton presidency will be remembered most for his lack of self-control while he was in the Whitehouse. At least that's how I see it. Chretien ... his terms will be remembered most by the scandal no matter how hard he tries to wash his hands clean of it.

10. Gnarfflinger

Canadian Unity? There's a real joke too. Probably a good percentage of Quebec wants to separate from Canada, and if that happens, then the Maritimes might as well separate too because they'll be cut off from the rest of the nation. Maybe then we'll be rid of them Damned Liberals, And Definately rid of the Bloc...

11. Beren

Media:
  12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Bah, as I have said all along this whole business has been an exercise in making a mountain out of a mole hill. The results of the report are nothing that we have not seen and heard before and will not likely change anyone's political leanings.

If another election were to be called now I imagine that the liberals would be elected in again - possibly with another minority government but more likely with a small majority due more to people wanting a more stable government (and no more elections for four years) than any real shift in political thought.

13. Gnarfflinger

Sure Paulie will escape legal consequence, but when you play in the pig pen, you still crawl out smelling like ****. I suspect a Conservative Minority next time around. First off, the Liberals stole money that was earmarked for Quebec. That won't sit well. The immediate beneficiaries will be the Bloc Quebecois. They'll likely add the seats that the Liberals drop in Quebec. In Ontario, Dalton McGuinty has soured some on the Liberal party, and some may look to Steven Harper and the Tories, others to Jack Layton and the NDP as alternatives. Without the Liberal's strongest support region, they'll fold like an accordian. In the west, The Conservatives will likely gain at teh Liberal expense. Assuming 308 seats in the House of Commons, I figure Conservatives for 125, Liberals about 80, Bloc about 60 and the NDPgetting 30 to 35 with independents and other candidates starting to show up in Ottawa...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.