1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Haunted Cecil Hotel?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Er, what is "Vigilant Citizen" and how much reliance can we put on its information? It looks dodgy to me. Everyone who has commented on the story seems to have watched way too many horror movies.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    'Normal' people are easily creeped out by the behavior of mentally ill people, because, well, they do creepy stuff like wave their arms around to no one in particular. Creepiness - check.

And everyone loves a good mystery. This case is 'unsolved' in that no one knows exactly what happened (never mind that most times no one knows exactly what happened). Uncertainty - check.

The woman died. Dead person thrill - check.

That's pretty much all you need to get your urban legend vibe on, and I think that's all that's going on here.

The reality angle, IMHO ...

Creepy behavior is explained by her being mentally ill. The coroner's report said she was bipolar. Nothing else about the elevator video is unexplained. The story states and we assume that she pressed all the elevator floor buttons, but did she really? Elevator doors will actually stand open if the open button is pushed, and they will commonly not go anywhere if no one tells them to do anything. Otherwise, malfunction is not wild speculation. It's an old, seedy hotel.

Mystery is really not that mysterious. How did she get in the 8 foot tank and close the door from the inside, etc.? Who knows? More significant is that there is no evidence to suggest that it was done by bigfoot, aliens, or ghosts bent on drowning Chinese native immigrant Canadian tourists. If the cops and coroner say they figure it was not murder, I don't find that terribly suspicious in and of itself. What's their angle otherwise, to protect bigfoot or suppress information about the reality of drowning fetish ghosts?

Lastly, dead girl is dead because that's what people do. This kind of thing is actually not uncommon, but it takes off as a story if you can serve up all the right ingredients like a creepy surveillance video of a creepy person at a creepy place.

Happy Halloween. ;)

dogsoldier likes this.
  4. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, I'm with Gaear on this. I don't comprehend what makes that video spooky, nor do I understand what makes the case so strange.

The attempt to make the hotel seem unusually associated with violence or death is overdone. Look at any hotel with a hundred + rooms, that has been open for 50 years or more, in a large urban area, especially a cheap hotel, and check how many fatalities are associated with it. Probably, many.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the elevator doesn't close because she hits the stop button the first time and then hits it again the next time she goes through the buttons.

Deranged ... not demonic.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    On that note, I thought this was pretty funny: Six Ways To Tell If You're Staying in a Murder Hotel

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.