1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Listen and Spot skills

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by chevalier, Sep 1, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Does Listen cover merely how good someone's hearing is, or is it related to comprehension as well, connecting the tidbits, filtering useful information and all that? I suppose if you go around questioning people and make something out of what they say, it might be Gather Information. But what about noticing important info in what you overhear someone saying? What about Spot?

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My guess would be that Listen and Spot is just that. You can hear or see something. A natural 20 on listen (wisdom) will allow you to hear someone talking. You would still need the intelligence to comprehend what he's talking about.

For filtering useful info, I'd use Gather Information, Sense Motive or just a wisdom check.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

For lack of a better skill to roll, I would say, yes.

If it makes more sense to you, you can replace the Wisdom modifier with the Intelligence modifier with regard to this.

Gather Information doesn't apply to this, since in my mind it represents your ability to form connections, get people to tell you stuff, get recognized as good-old-whatshisface, etc.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I would rule that Listenning would be approptiate for eavedropping, but comprehending what you hear involves Knowledge or other relevent skills...

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If the players want to know what someone is saying during a Listen check, ask what languages they speak. If the listening person doesn't know the language, roll an intelligence check.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Thanks Kuemper, I forgot about that. I'll have to remember that trick in my campaigns...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.