1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Most Memorable Unintended Events In Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Foradasthar, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

There's been a topic by me or someone else about the same subject before (well of course there has), but this topic is slightly different.

I'd like all of you people to describe the most memorable moments you've ever had in games. And I'm not talking about some casual events that you just found really cool but unintended incidents that came completely by accident and actually managed to fit in so well that they delivered a real emotional charge to you as well.

My most memorable moment of all was my first fight against Ganon in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I fought like an animal, with my relatively very weak character (compared to how strong he could have been, but back then I always took the fastest way instead of searching all the bonus materials adding to health and armour etc.). Yet I was so nervous that I kept falling down from the platforms and had to climb back up, only to take another hit from his electrical spells. This went on until I had manually used all of my fairies (or so I thought). I battled frantically, trying to deflect his spells and keep moving, and then when I had counter-deflected his spell for who-knows how manieth time (the speed of the spell becomes faster as you or Ganon deflects it back to the previous target, so it was real fast at this point), I suddenly hit too early and it hit hit me square on the side of my chest.

Slowly, screaming, streaming with electrical currents hissing and glowing, Link fell dead on the ground. I was filled with anxiety and feeling of defeat, but then something happened. A fairy rose up, dropped her magical powder on me and left. The last fairy that I had forgot I ever had revived me. Slowly, indeed very slowly, the electrical spell still burning Link, he put his first hand in the ground, then the second, and determinately pushed himself to his knees, then rose back up. He didn't have much health, but this time I would win, it was my last chance that wasn't supposed to exist. And indeed I did win. For some reason, all the excitement and lack of focus was gone, I defeated Ganon without taking a single hit after getting revived. The True Ganon after the tower crumbled was a challenge as well, but not as difficult as the first one. The event is something I still remember as clearly as yesterday, though it's as old as when Ocarina of Time came out. Like a final comeback of a hero that just simply will not give up no matter how dead he should be, straight out of some epic movie.

The second is a strange event in BG2 when I was playing a druid. Some mages teleported in to kill me in the Slums District. I had my part of 4 scattered, each taking their own targets to keep the clerics and mages busy. Yet there was one mage who came from the side and attacked against my druid. Well I didn't have too much health and no spells to help me against him. As he had stoneskin on there was no way I could hit him before his 2:nd or 3:rd spell anyway (which certainly would have been enough to kill me). So the mage summons some 4-5 animals. Wolves. And then something I've never seen before (or seen since, though I didn't play much after that) happened. The animals looked at my direction (some took a few steps), then turned, became green, and ate the mage right there! Some pitiful wolves were still strong enough to penetrate his stoneskin with their combined attacks and eat him before he could get off another spell. After that I just sent the wolves to attack another enemy.

I don't think this is supposed to even happen, at least not in BG2. While all animals basically owe allegiance to a druid, I still can't believe they would have taken this into account in the case of BG2. If even natural monsters have to be tamed with spells and abilities, how could a summoned-by-enemy animal just sense there's a druid on the other side, and then defend them? So I guess it's a bug. But a very nicely timed bug though. :)

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Playing Civ 2 as the Americans. In 1945, the Japanese nuked me.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Lol. Yeah, that's about what I was looking for alright. :)

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Playing Sudden strike as the Germans, i actually conquered Stalingrad and advanced further eastwards.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] In pod I was flipped into a volcano, when I was righted again all the other cars crashed into me (aprt from the one who'd flipped me. so I drove away leaving the chaos and managed to flip my flipper and win the race even though I'd strated badly.

Had several strge things happen.

6. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

for me it would have to be in bg2 i had been fighting the cowled wizards so that i didnt have to pay the money for a liscense(sp?) and then the last group came and i had no healing spells left and didnt know it and then the one mage summoned a demon and it attacked and killed them all since id had protection from evil 10' radius which i forgot the cleric set on a custom script cast automatically. also on halo for xbox i was in a 4v4 match with some friends, it was an all rockets match and my friend was in a tank and i was out of ammo all i had left was 2 frag grenades and somehow one of them hit just underneath the turett and landed on his lap and killed him...and gave me six more rockets plus a tank. :D

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, a Civ 2 one was already mentioned, but...

I was playing a WW2 scenario as the allies. The Germans contacted me and asked for an alliance to beat up Russia.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    When I was playing ToB and in watchers keep I found the map easter egg when you do the spirit and the mazey thing.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31

@8people

Which is that?

10. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] when in watchers keep, I think it's the spirit ward or something :hmm:

where you have to control this spirit, and if it get's killed you die. if you go onto the map it's gota picture of the people who made the game.

I'll look in my walkthrough later to see if I can find what's it's properly called.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31

You're describing one of the three trials on the fifth level of WK. I'll have to check my own game and see if I can see that too.

12. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] yeah, it's also listed on www.eeggs.com when I was looking up to see if anyone else had found it.

13. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I was playing an old truck racing game called Ironman with my brother. I sucked at it, so I was mostly focussing on blocking the other racers so he could win. At one point though, I got knocked outside of the course, and, taking the opportunity, I drove straight into the audience. It looked like my truck was swallowed into the crowd, and then the game crashed. We laughed for five minutes afterward.

14. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Yesterday something funny happened - on PS:T

There is one dabus who when you talk to him turns round and hammers, he hammered Nameless... somewhere best left to the imagination. :eek: Frosty and I found that amusing. Another dabus started hammering Mortes' skull as well :lol:

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I was playing Medieval: Total War as the Vikings. I conquered all areas except one. One year(one turn) before attacking that area, all people revolted(!). I mean ALL. It's not a nice thing to see the whole world revolting against you... :(

The other event was in Legends of Zelda: A link to the past. I was fighting a boss (forgot who) but he would be injured only by a wand(the fire I think). But I didn't know it.After seeing Link falling down dead 23 times in a row I was desperate... So in the 24th time I accidentally press the key that activated the wand. :D By the 29th time he was dead... ;)

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There was this level in Lemmings 2: The Tribes, called "So close and yet so far away" IIRC. The start and the finish were seperated by an un-bash-able wall, with the start on the left side. You are supposted to go left, then up, then right along the ceiling of the entrance/wall/exit, then back down to the exit. But I did something rather unusual instead.

I cornered a few lemmings next to the un-bash-able wall with a blocker. The lemmings got stuck "inside the wall" and surprising enough, they went up! Yup, they climbed the wall, went THROUGH the ceiling and ending on top of the ceiling. Thus effectively skipping most of the level. :D (Unfortunately you can't get the gold medal for this; just the bronze.)

17. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In Gran Turismo 3, I was racing a friend with that little car that's so slow (Morris Mascot) and he took a Viper GTS even though we agreed to only do slow cars. We were on that round map and we had one lap. He kept driving around me and when I was close to the end, he wanted to see just how fast it could go. He snezzed and accidently drove into my back. I flew over the line with like, 230 km/t in a bloody morris mascot! It accelareated from 60 km/t to 230 in under one second. And you bet I laughed!

Also, in Quake 3 I was jumping so fast that I got killed by my own rocket in the back.

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I was playing a 2 player game of Gotham Racing with my bro and I thought I was the top, and he thought he was the top. It turned out he was the top. You shoul've seen the replay... I was running into walls and pelling out for 10 seconds, then turn and do 120 into another wall and keep peeling. It was great to watch my stupidity.

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Once in CivII I was playing as the Greeks. I wasn't doing very well. I'd got to the top of the tech tree slightly ahead of everyone else and I'd industrialised heavily. Unfortuately my fixation with climbing the tech tree and building factories meant I'd neglected to control pollution....or build my armies. And then everybody else noticed that I was a nice soft target and declared war. So the sea level's rising, I've got gangs of engineers scurrying about trying desperately to clean pollution, reverse desertification, and drain swamps before everyone starves - and my skies are filled with enemy stealth bombers. Just before the whole thing goes to pot I manage to pack a few hundred thousand colonists into a hastily-built, partially complete spaceship and win the game. Not particularly uplifting, perhaps, but powerful and it segues nicely into the start of Alpha Centauri.

The other is in Medieval: Total War. I'm playing as the Russians and, after some hard fighting I've managed to turn back the first Mongol invasion (which got as far as the Crimean). Some time later, the Mongols reappear - this time in Armenia - and most of my armies are engaged on the western front. They push north into Georgia, where I have a small army under the command of the Grand Warder of the Kremlin. I look at the statistics. I'm outnumbered several times, but if I abandon Georgia, they'll have clean access to my soft underbelly, and might even manage to march straight to Moscow. I decide to fight a limited engagement - guerilla style, whitlling down their numbers and retreating in the hope that I'll be able to weaken them sufficiently that my hatily mustered homeland defence team are able to take them on. With a hail of arrows, my troops manage to repulse the first wave. I regroup and watch the Mongol reinforcements storm over the horizon. I decide I could maybe manage to take another wave before I withdraw. The second wave smashes itself against my defences. The Mongols rally for a third attack. My soldiers are tired, beaten and strung out. I only just have time to regroup before the third wave hits. I'm cursing myself for not withdrawing while I still had time. My men survive that wave, rally and prepare to defend once more...until I get a small text box in the middle of the screen. "The Mongols are fleeing the field". It's possibly the first time I've managed to beat a numerically superior Mongol army on the open field - my previous victories were due to superiour numbers or defending river crossings. The Grand Warder of the Kremlin gains skilled last stand, and by now has a big bucket of command points -he becomes known as my greatest general. He even managed to repulse their invasion in the next year. Ultimately, he died ingnominously fighting the Hungarians, in what I thought would be an easy battle - but that doesn't take away from the heroic victory. And the heroic victory is why I noticed, rather than it being another "You lose - x men killed, including some general with a funny name."

20. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

civ2 as all the others, played the big red bear of russia :D and had control of all of europe. So we climbed the tech tree, me against the remaining axis of nations (americans and two others), but the time for space race was at hand! ;)

I had a huge race with the americans, fortunately I was a powerhouse of productivity, so even though they managed to set off a puny spaceship, I sent a juggernaut of a ship away that got there two years before :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.