1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The "Old" Dick Cheney

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Interesting video which was emailed to me from Moveon.org. Dick Cheney sounds rational in this video regarding a supposed occupation of Iraq. I wonder what happened to him? Cheney

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow. I thought more people would have something to say about this. Thanks for posting the link.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd seen this on YouTube last week. I'd consider posting it here, but didn't think many here would care. He's just a subordinate, after all.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Not sure what happened to Cheney but he sure showed a better sense of judgement in 1994 than in 2003.

@DR:

:lol: Well, he is the leader of the US Senate. Inofficially, I suspect he is also the real Decider behind The Decider. :p

EDIT: I forgot to thank Chandos for posting the link!

[ August 16, 2007, 15:57: Message edited by: Montresor ]

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As do I, Monty - I was being facetious. It was more in response to people who seem to think Bush really is "the decider" and that this administration's policies are all his idea, his agenda, and thereby dismiss any suggestions that Rove, Cheney, and Rumsfeld were really the ones running the show. Which is of course absurd to even the most casual of obvservers.

Sidenote: one wonders if Kerry would have won in 2004 had his campaign not been so inept and dug this video up back in the summer of '04 when it would have mattered. The "flip-flopper" nonsense would have died a pretty quick death, I think.

But then again, maybe I'm forgetting that "9/11 changed everything."

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'd put it that Bush is indeed the decider and that there is agreement with him and Cheney that Cheney runs the boring, nerdish stuff — exceeding five pages of reading and requiring an attention span of 15min or more — and of course sais and does all the things Bush can't put his name on.

That doesn't preclude Cheney from having an agenda of his own, and that Bush at times doesn't follow his lead. Sure, Cheney does 'massage' Bush's brain regularly and often succeeds in getting Bush's approval. But Bush has the last word, make no mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    @ Rags,

I hate to shatter the image you have of the iron-fisted Bush, but by all accounts - those who've worked for him, with him, and even against him - this is probably the most apt description of how the "decider" does his..."deciding." Just imagine Bush here instead of Arnie.

If I convince you of a particular course of action in a given situation, of which you yourself have very little knowledge, have personally done no actual research and are not particularly interested in to begin with, while at the same time having full confidence in me to provide you with the best possible information and outcome, you'd think you were in control of things if you, as the authority figure, proudly put your stamp of approval on it. But you'd be wrong. I'd have just manipulated you into doing what I wanted you to and you'd take all the blame if it went south (and conversely, all the credit if it went well).

So while he does have the last word, by surrounding himself with people who do all the heavy thinking for him, he's removed all possible significance from said "last word."

8. Ragusa

Media:
    No, not iron fisted. Just that he has the last word. Even if he has to scribble it under an unread bill. But scribble it he does. And that's not just a technicality, but a declaration of personal responsibility. I believe that when Bush sais he is the decider guy who is to decidify, he is dead serious.

In my reading it would be very much in character for Bush to at times intentionally block Cheney just to re-assert himself. That streak also shows in Bush giving nicks to his subordinates.

And of course, Bush's group-thinkers are notorious for not representing him with choices he would refuse anyway. And still, I wouldn't underestimate Bush's personal involvement in key issues - especially as far as secret executive orders are concerned.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The exact same evidence that you would have to use to support this statement can also be used to support the statement made by DR and others - that others do the deciding and Bush just goes along. And while based on said evidence I would be inclined to say either theory is equally likely, everything else I've seen - Bush in private interviews with journalists (if you can call them that), some of his outbursts, the things he says when he doesn't realise the microphone is still on - all lead me to believe that the only deciding he ever did was in picking his aides. After that, everything he does is blindly trusting in whatever plan they give him. I doubt he really cares about most issues anyway - and if he does, he certainly doesn't show it.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    It is just to simple and pleasing to think him the ever bumbling idiot. He is certainly more than that, though clearly not a great man, much less a great thinker.

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I don't think of him as a bumbling idiot. You do need a certain degree of intelligence and savvy to attain such a position, regardless of how much help you get along the way. No, I see him as an easily-manipulated, intellectually lazy everyman who's gotten in way over his head in just about every measurable respect. Bush is certainly charismatic, and I do believe his heart is generally in the right place. But he's been taken for a ride by the people around him, that much is certain.

He's no bumbling idiot, you're right. But he's not too far off. I could have forgiven a bumbling idiot. And I assure you, especially from my perspective, there's nothing pleasing about it. The depths to which I'm ashamed for my country every time he opens his mouth isn't something I care to elaborate on.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    GWB's problem is not that he's an idiot but that he is an arrogant ideologue. He has a pre-conceived notion of how the world should be and the reality has to fit his preception of how things should be. Almost nothing he says has a real test grounded in reality. He is the spoiled frat-brat of an ex-president who felt that he was entitled to be prez because of who he was, not because of his accomplishments.

I don't know what the deal is with Cheney but he sounded rational in the clip dated 1994. Now, he sounds like an arrogant ideologue, much like his boss. Is it the GWB effect?

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    GWB has lots of problems, including his belief that God talks to him and made him president.

Speaking of the old Cheney, how many were aware that back in the '80s he'd commonly remark--in private--on the political benefits of small wars?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.