1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The "Other" Games on SP....

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Cernak, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I've played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights, and I'm wondering what people who post here think of the other games that have sites at SP: Demon Stone, Temple of Evil, the NWN expansions, Planescape, and Pool of Radiance. Are they worth playing? The only thing I've read is that Planescape is a "gamer's game", which I like, if true.

[ January 17, 2005, 09:02: Message edited by: Cernak ]

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Planescape is AMAZING! It's my favourite cRPG and a contender for my personal best game ever.

The story and plot are really well thought out and involving, and the npc development is the best I've ever seen.

Plus the music is so atmospheric, it's a true joy to play.

I cant really speak for the others, as I havent played them.

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I too, have only played PS:T of the 'other games' mentioned and I agree with Takara: that game is VERY good... The combat is kind of annoying, but the music is very good, the game's still pleasing on the eyes (although the graphics are outdated, the pretty drawn 2d backgrounds still look good).
    The story is interesting, and the dialogues and NPCs are GREAT.
    The (planescape) setting is pretty cool, and there are many funky items and ways to get more exp. out of talking and thinking, rather then clobbering alot - out of say, 9 levels, only 1 will be from beast-slaying exp.; maybe 2; if you play it like that.

However, if you're not into big dialogues, however well-written, you're gonna be bored.
    Barring that, it's GREAT - 9/10 and that's only 9 because it doesn't have vampires or pirates in it.

:borg:

4. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

Get them in this order:

Planescape (It's a must. No kidding!)
    Temple of EE
    NWN expansions

After that, burn your PC.
    Then get Pool of Radiance.
    Then burn it as well.
    Burn the house in which PoR was burnt.
    Spread salt over the ground.
    Move to another continent.

You should be safe from the evil curse that is PoR:RoMD if you follow this procedure closely...

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm playing PT at the moment, found it in the bargainbin the other day, and everything they say about it is true. :)

I'm also playing Hordes of the Underdark at the moment, which is also quite entertaining.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Everything but Pool of Radiance is worth getting.

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Temple of Elemental Evil with the second patch is phenomenal. I played through it twice and had a great time. The combat is great if you enjoyed Fallout, Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm, too.

8. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

When I was reading about Torment, I didn't think it looked too good. But I saw it on eBay bundled with another game and bought it. I wasn't seen for hours at a time - my parents kept asking me if I was ill - and all my free time was spent on Torment. A week ago, BG2 was my favourite RPG. It isn't anymore.

Neverwinter Nights expansions are good. Particularly for custom modules, as more and more now require them. They're also good for making your own.

I found Temple of Elemental Evil rather dull - I never actually finished it.

I've not played Demon Stone or PoR at all.

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Planescape Torment is just quite simply the best game ever imho. The gameplay might not be at the same level as Baldur's Gate but Planescape as a fantasy world and the way it's implemented is just awesome not to mention the interesting NPC's and the best story I've seen in computer games. The game really brings up some emotions which only a few games are available of doing. Planescape Torment simply is the line where games become art, because it's just so beutyful in every way. So if you find this anywhere, don't hesitate for a moment to buy it.

I have not played ToEE or the new PoR but the NWN expansions are worth getting imo. I have played and built modules for NWN now for several years and enjoyed most of it. HoTU and SoU are worth playing as single player campaigns too and there are some very great fanmade modules out there too. Some of them are a lot better than the official campaigns.

10. Cernak Gems: 12/31

...and the winner IS...[drumroll]...Pool of Radiance! Not really, but I did go to a LOT of drive-in movies in the 60's and 70's, and the sense of nostalgia is strong. Does it have bad plot, bad acting, bad cinematography? Extra butter on the popcorn please. And Darkthrone, your post is maybe the funniest I've ever read. And thanks to everyone for the unanimous advice: Planescape.

[ January 18, 2005, 06:47: Message edited by: Cernak ]

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    One more for the Planescape admirer :)

Best CRPG I've ever played... and I emphasize on the ROLE-playing part. One of the best written games ever.

12. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Planescape is awesome, but I've not played any of the others. ToEE has hit the cheap rack over here though, and NWN Gold is tempting...

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*Stabs all the people reveling in their copies of PS:T while he goes without...*

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Planescape is awesome, if a little slow. You really have to work your way through that game. Pool of Radiance is only worth your time if you fell in love with the the original Pool of Radiance-Curse of the Azure Bonds-Secret of the Silver Blades-Pools of Darkness series. Even then, buggy and plodding = not very much fun.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Aik!? you dont own PS:T :confused:

I dont know how I'd get by without mine.

*Strokes his copy of PS:T* :evil:

16. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hey Aik.

I have 2 copies of PS:T.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I see the glitter in Aik's eyes :D

18. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

19. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

PS:T is one of the finest CRPGs ever created.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Unless you're offering to send me one, I really, really hate you :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.