1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Phantom of the Opera (the movie)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Elios, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Anyone else seen this yet?
    I saw it opening night, and I have to say I was not disappointed. ITs gotten mixed reviews, but it has been nominated for three Golden Globes.
    Now, if you're like me, and have been spoiled by Micheal Crawford's Phantom (he played the original) you might be a little disappointed in Gerard Butler's portrayal. But don't get me wrong, he's good, but just not Crawford. Then again, who is?
    Teh acting is nicely done as is the singing. The effects are spectacular. The sets are what I would have expected too see!
    The nice thing about the movie, is you get an upclose view you probably won't get seeing it on stage. They also go into the story a bit more of how the Phantom came to the opera house.
    If you've never seen the play, but want to some day, I'd recommend seeing the movie first, it may make the play a bit more understandable.
    If you have seen the play, go see the movie anyways.
    Just keep in mind it is a movie, and they can do a lot more.
    Its directed by Joel Schumaker and produced by Weber. It's done by the "Really Useful Film Company" (Phantom phans will recognize the connection. The "Really Useful Theater Company" is what Michael Crawford belonged to)
    Aside from some extras in the script, the movie follows the play almost exactly, and yes, all the songs are there.

2. Zurga Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Play? Movie? Heard about a musical with that name by Andrew L. Webber.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Zurga, where have you been?!?

I bought my mom and my sister tickets to the show for christmas...don'r know if they liked it or not. :rolling:

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I shall go see it, and then review on it extensively on my LJ. I'll probably have to bash Gerald Butler around quite a lot.

How did the Christine do?

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Agreed, DM....

Even if my preferred Phantom is Antonio Banderas :p

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Do we have to carry this debate over to the forums as well? Come on, Crawford is better!

Also, Elios. ALL the songs was in? Including stuff like Notes? Is it a musical in the style of Evita?

7. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Zurga-movie
    @Kitrax-You should go see it too
    @Deathmage-Surprisingly well. The actress is Emmy Rossum. If you've seen "The Day After Tomorrow" she was one of the three students caught in the storm. Like I said about Butler, he was good. But not compared to Crawford. In this movie, you have to compare him to himself.
    And yes, all the songs were in I believe. Which "notes" were you talking about?
    The first "notes" was pretty close as to what was in the stage production. There were more notes after the masqurade were the characters learn all of the Phantom's requirements for his opera, "Don Juan" you actually hear the Phantom's voice reading the notes. In the movie it is actually the Phantom "giving" his demands at the ball.
    There are, in my opinion, some nice "extras" that help with the story and are just, well nice. But I won't tell there.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    DM - of course we have to, we already argue in the FAI and on LJ! MSN, too, iirc :p

I need to re-read the bopok before I see this one....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.