1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Punisher...Any good?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Kitrax, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Since the Punisher opened at the box office, I've been hearing mixed reviews about it. Has anyone seen it yet? I can't be as bad as some of the critics say it is...can it? :rolling:

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes, it probably is.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Despite how bad-ass the Punisher looked in some aspects, the overall impression I get is that it's going to be bad. Really, really, bad.

4. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I didn't even know there was a punisher film made! But i'm pretty sure it will suck pretty bad. Very few classic comic book style charcters and stories ever convert well into films. They are two different genres, both with certain rules and guidelines. You just can't make a film of a comic book! I mean the punisher is quite cool, but the stuff he does and says would seem ridiculously cliche and uneccessary in a film. The Hulk sucked as a film, Spiderman was good for 1/2 an hr then that sucked too. Daredevil...was a joke. X-men, nothing special, very boring.

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Gehn I have to disagree. There have been one or two decent comic book conversions. Batman (original Burton, not joel Schumacker) was an excellent movie. Also, and this is my own controversial opinion, Judge Dredd was pretty good. Most other comic book conversions sucked though.

6. Gehn Gems: 7/31

There are always exceptions :D But Batman and Judge Dredd aren't your "classic" comic book, marvel, style super heroes. They are both more complex characters who have issues that are actaully explored within their tales. In fact, (i'm speaking mainly about Batman here, my JD knowledge is pittiful) those issues are the core focus of both the stories. They are troubled heroes. Troubled, just like every human being on this planet. So we can relate to Bruce Wayne and Batman in a sense. They have real problems. The Hulk's problems, Spiderman's problems? Hahaha, what a joke.
    Hulk - "I have a really big problem! Sometimes i freak out and turn green then smash stuff i don't neccessarily want to smash?!"
    Spiderman - "Crap! Mary Jane or some other girl i'm romanticly involved with has been kidnapped...AGAIN! Plus, i have so many outfits to wear, i can never decide which one i like best..."

Great non-commital entertainment that you can pick up and put down at your leisure. I like em, but i sure as hell don't LOVE them.

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Quote: "Hulk - "I have a really big problem! Sometimes i freak out and turn green then smash stuff i don't neccessarily want to smash?!""
    LOL. :) So true.
    I suppose you're right in that sense. the Batman movie does go to the esscence of who that character is. The most pitiful comic book conversions I've seen haven't really bothered to think who the superhero is. Just how they would kick butt on some stupid plotline. Good example is The Phantom. I have to say, though, that I'm not much of a comic book officianado. The problem I see that hollywood has these days with these movies is that they design a simplistic plot around a character they know nothing about. They think because it's a "cartoon" any film involving that character with a bunch of special effects is going to bring large audiences. (sad fact is that it often does, and the people leave dissapointed. Even sadder fact is that they go to the next one too.)

8. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Takara - So, soo true! You hit the nail right on the head. God damn Hollywood, and god damn the senseless fools who continually go and see the endless amounts of trash Hollywood produces. It's those fools that cause Hollywood to keep making crap! If they didn't go see it, the films wouldn't make the money they do, and Hollywood would have to move in a different direction. Hollywood are only interested in what can turn them a proffit, not in making insightful contributions to film.

9. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Has anyone seen the old punisher film with Dolph Lundgren? I wish I hadn't to be honest.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh no, there have been more than one or two. But I agree...most of 'em do indeed blow. Let's recap:

• Batman 1: Kick ass.
    • Batman 2: Still kick ass, but not as good as the first.
    • Batman 3: Pretty much blew, way too cheesy and campy, but Jim Carrey was classic.
    • Batman 4: Vomit enducing. Made me add "Joel Schumacher" to my list of people to kill before I die.
    • Blade: Bad ass. Much better than I expected.
    • Blade 2: IMO, better than the first. Very under-appreciated.
    • X-Men: Very good, albeit too short and slightly lacking.
    • X-Men 2: Totally made up for and surpassed the first, if for no other reason than all the cool foreshadowing.
    • The Hulk: By most accounts, too much computeriness, overdramatic, wasted potential.
    • Spiderman: Excellent. Popcorn munchin' goodness.
    • Tank Girl: Pretty funny, but kinda dumb overall.
    • Judge Dredd: Stallone. Need I say more? (hint: not a compliment)
    • Barb Wire: There were exactly two reasons to watch this movie. And they accompany Pam Anderson everywhere she goes. And they're bouncy. And not bio-degradable. Otherwise, it was a terrible movie.
    • Daredevil: So much potential, yet so much SUCKAGE! It made me sad.
    • Superman, 1-4: By today's standards, cheezy and lame. By 80's standards, they ruled. I lump them together because they were all essentially the same movie.
    • The Punisher (with Dolph Lundgren): In a word? Crapola.
    I'm sure I forgot a few. Anyone?

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The (new) Punisher flick was half-decent as it had a lot of funny parts, but for god's sakes. The ending looked like they had about 8 bucks left in the budget and they still came out of it with enough money to buy a couple happy meals. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the crappy plastic cars melting and I saw that John Travolta was now made of straw.

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lucky b*st*rds, we don't get it here for a few more weeks I think.

As for the others mentioned, I agree with DR on almost everything said except for two things:

*The Hulk - I enjoyed it quite a bit for the piece of simple fun that it was until the crap ending (not that I'm saying you didn't enjoy it DR)

*Daredevil - granted I only saw it once and that was back when it was in the cinema, but I really quite enjoyed it for the same reasons I enjoyed The Hulk, but I really don't recall the ending being too bad. The only gripe I had was that Kingpin was black in the film and white in the comics. Then again, the only white guy I can think of who may have had the size to play Kingpin would be Brando and I don't think that would work.

One that I didn't see mentioned yet but I THINK was based on a comic is Howard The Duck. But I don't remember that very clearly either. In facty the only thing I recall about Howard himself is that he was in an 'Amalgam Comics' book called 'Lobo The Duck'

edit - saw Kill Bill 2 last night and it had the trailer for The Punisher on before it. Looks pretty good from what little was shown but doesn't look to be anything too great.

[ May 27, 2004, 08:46: Message edited by: Aldazar ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.