1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sojourning Six - OoC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Felinoid, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG] The idea is a party made up entirely of humanoids (2e). I picked out six (since most of you likely won't have access to the book) by archetypes and who would do what best. The RP will be limited to these six characters, and thus only six players, who are already chosen. If you would like to join, though, check out the rules below.

The archetypes:

Melee fighter - Ogre Mage sellsword. While quite a few humanoid races would likely fit the bill for this, the Ogre Mage is a favorite of mine, and uses oriental weapons for a touch of the exotic.

Ranged fighter - Voadkyn (wood giant) wilderness protector. You'll not find anyone better with a bow than these friendly sylvan giant-kin. But look somewhere else for your character; this one's mine. :p

Spell-slinger - Fremlin (a kinder cousin of the gremlin) scholar. Bonuses to Dexterity and Intelligence make these mischievous little creatures of flight ideal for the wizard's role.

Healer - Swanmay druidic oracle. These beautious human females are able to transform into swans, and get natural bonuses to Dexterity and Wisdom. As an oracle, she'll get visions about what we should do, and will guide the party. Sorry people, but this one is already promised to kuemper. :)

Thief - Pixie scavenger. Bonuses to Dexterity and Charisma as well as natural invisibility make these smooth-talking faeries perfect for a thief role.

Jack of all trades - Satyr bard. Who better for the role of bard than these pan pipe playing peoples of the forest?

Now some ground rules:
    </font>
    1. If you don't follow the action and try to strike out on your own, you're out, and I will find someone else to take your place playing the character. Any related posts will be deleted.
      (Note: The Ogre Mage will have slightly more flexibility in this regard than the others, due to his mercenary nature, but is not by any means exempt.)
    2. NOONE posts in the RP thread unless they are playing one of the six characters. If someone does, their post will be deleted the moment I see it and notify a mod of it. Players should simply ignore such posts as if they were not there, because they're not.
    3. Noone posts in the character thread at all after the initial posts detailing the six. Hopefully I'll get a mod to agree to lock it, but otherwise I'll just have them delete each post as it's made. If extra characters are added, it will be unlocked/allowed for that one post only and then be relocked/disallowed again. OoC comments even about the characters' makeup should happen here, not cluttering up the character thread. I also don't want anyone and their pet monkey deciding to show up just because they posted in the character thread and think they're entitled to screw up the concept. :grr:
    4. If you want to ask to join, and have a 2e humanoid (not human or demi-human) character that could fit in, let me know in this OoC thread. For the six characters, it's first come, first serve, and if you get the character I will PM you with details on the 2e statistical boundaries for your humanoid that you can work within to make the character your own. I'm not trying to tie your hands. :)
    More as necessary. For now, let's hear if anyone actually wants to join other than kuemper and me.

[ March 23, 2006, 17:52: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

2. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

So you're saying we can't have our own characters and can only have so many. Too many rules. Just let us make out own.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How can a mage be a melee fighter? Is the ogre a fighter / mage?

Is a Friendly Gremlin really called a "Fremlin"? :)

4. Felinoid

@Dalamar Minimus:
    :rolleyes: If you don't like it, you don't have to join; the rules are not negotiable. And before anyone else gears up to voice their disapproval, I don't intend for this thread to turn into an argument on the merits (or lack thereof) of my idea. This is only for those who actually want to play, or have a question about something that I haven't made clear enough. Thank you.

Wrong. The characters people pick will be their own, to customize as they see fit. I picked out these six as starting characters because they fit the roles that a balanced party needs. And if you bother to read rule four closer (or at all) you'll see that the very first sentence in it details how you can add a different character to the RP.

@HB:
    Actually, Ogre Magi are a separate race from ogres, and their name does not limit them to magery. The one in question will likely be a straight fighter, though he may be a Fighter/Mage at the player's request. And have you tried an F/M in BG2? They can be quite the tank with Stoneskins. ;)
    Fremlins are a separate race from gremlins not unlike how ogre mages are separate from ogres: a wide variation on a theme. For example, Merrow Ogres are an aquatic race of ogres, while Ogre Magi are an 'oriental' race of ogres. There are at least half a dozen different races of "gremlins", including: the standard Gremlin, the friendlier Fremlin, the blood sucking Galltrit, the tiny trap-using dungeon-dwelling Mite, the kleptomaniac Snyad, and the communistic Jermlaine. Only the Fremlins are nice, and I would suspect that it's not a coincidence that they are the only ones included in the Complete Book of Humanoids. ;)

[ March 18, 2006, 02:23: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

5. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Minimus? Ouch! Sorry.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So, the word 'mage' in the Ogre Mage is just a red herring? He's not a mage at all then. That's too confusing for simple people like me.

Your concept sounds admirable, Felinoid, and I'm sure that the tight control will result in a more focused story. You'll probably want more dedicated and knowledgeable players in your RP than me though, so I'll let better people take up your slots.

7. Felinoid

@Dalamar:
    Simply a comment on your RPing style. ;) After all, you still have a character in Rashemen that you left, as well as the RP that you started and then left. Surely you can understand that doesn't exactly inspire confidence. (I also have a slight problem with egoistic-looking names like Maximus. :shake: )

8. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Well if no one will, Fel... Sign me up, I'll be happy to participate, I think I like the pixie, although the giant-kin caught my eyes, but you are taking that one, so :( , anyway if I can have the thief class but maybe a different race I'll probably like it even more (I don't have that 2ED book!).

So, just let me know!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  9. Felinoid

:lol: Actually, Mauro, I half expected you to take the Ogre Mage (for reasons I bet you can guess). ;)

A different race for the thief, eh? Well, there aren't a whole lot of dextrous humanoids. (You do know that pixies can be male, right?) Let's see, there's the Aarakocra (avian), Beastmen (anti-magic), Mongrelmen (ugly as sin; pretty much a patchwork of other species), and Saurial Flyers (can't talk; think small pteradon).

10. Maurolava

I was not concern about the pixie bieng able to be male, but the size is what I can picture myself, but I guess can compramise. :hmm:

Better yet, since following the hole (for reasons I bet you can guess). , then I take either that ogre mage or the pixie, you pick for me!, what do you think? :)

11. Felinoid

Well, if it's size you want, the ogre mage should do nicely, since they're slightly taller than even regular ogres. Females are between 8 and 9 feet tall, while males are between 9-1/2 and 10-1/2 feet tall. Even a male ogre is only 8 to 10 feet.

For the record, pixies are between 2 and 3-1/2 feet tall.

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Am I the only one who thinks this is harking back to those box sets we owned in the early days? IIRC, mine came with 6, pre-made characters for a starter game to get you to understand the game easier.

A question or 2 that I've been pondering.

1. Will we get told what to do in the RP? Not so much our actions, but where we'll go.

2. How restrictive will our PCs be reguarding actions, alignments, ideals, etc.?

13. Maurolava

How small is a pikie anyway??

14. Felinoid

@kuemper:
    1. That's where you come in. As the oracle, it will be your visions guiding us. Don't you remember?

2. Not at all. There are some superstitions that all humanoids of a particular race share, but those can be played down or "bulled" through with courage. Alignments are free to pick (for everyone except your own character, but you'll be given some leeway there), and background stories are of course up for grabs for those who start the character. Players who continue a character after someone leaves (either voluntarily or not) will have to stick to the background story that has been established so far so as to avoid confusion, building on it as they play.

@Maurolava:
    I edited my post above.

15. Maurolava

You know, what a hell, I'll go for the pixie, is good to try something new. Just let me know what you need from me!! :cool:

16. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'd like to sign up, and Fel, you can put me where you think my RP style would fit. :)

17. Felinoid

@EI:
    Well, let's see who's left; there's the Ogre Mage, the Fremlin, and the Satyr (Maurolava has the Pixie). Now, I've seen you're rather good at describing battle scenes, and inject martial arts as well, so I'd say the Ogre Mage would suit you best. But if you really have no preference, I'll wait until the other two spots are chosen and give you what's left. Is that okay? :)

18. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'd like to sign up as well Fel I really don't mind which character I play as the Oracle has gone, but I'm leaning towards the Fremlin or Satyr so that EI can have the Ogre Mage role.

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm around a lot but have been a little hesitant because my AD&D knowledge is so limited. I, also, have been leaning towards the Fremlin or Satyr. Am available for either one if I can get some help in developing the character. Up to you, Fel. Are Satyrs always male or is it just a racial type?

If I take the Satyr do I get to chase nymphs around for nefarious purposes?

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What I meant to say (can't you people read minds yet? ;) ) is being an oracle, do I make up my visions or will there be PMs exchanged on what my PC 'sees'?
    Considering my swamny has a charisma of 15, you might be chasing *me* around. :lol: :love:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.