1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Swiss are Coming!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Shaman, Mar 4, 2007.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] We interrupt this bulleting for an important newscast: Switzerland has just invaded Liechtenstein.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6415531.stm

Swiss in Liechtenstein 'invasion'

The traditionally neutral Swiss army has staged an unplanned invasion after troops blundered into Liechtenstein.

A 171-strong Swiss company got two kilometres into its neighbour before realising the mistake and heading back.

Liechtenstein authorities made light of the intrusion, saying they only knew about it when the Swiss told them.

In 1985, the Swiss had to pay Liechtenstein compensation when rockets fired by its army went astray and set a forest ablaze.

'All so dark'

The latest incident began on Wednesday night during a routine training exercise for the infantrymen in the Alpine forests close to an unmarked section of the border.

The company commander led his men in the wrong direction in bad weather but gave the immediate order to return when realising the error.

"It was all so dark," one soldier told the Swiss newspaper Blick.

A spokesman for the Liechtenstein authorities said: "It's not like they invaded with attack helicopters."

The BBC's Paul Legg says the incident is embarrassing for the Swiss but not as bad as the one in 1985.

The countries became embroiled in a lengthy dispute when the protected forest was set on fire.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The swiss are cute. Mean people say they are slow, but that's just how they talk.

I remember that a couple of years back a squad of Swiss spies got caught in Austria observing an Austrian military maneuver. They iirc had all identical equipment, including uniform dresses, swiss army knives, etc. Evidently very unconspicious.

But that said, don't get them angry.

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think I remember that too.

Bah! The Swiss are the sneaks in residence.
    They reside on their mountain and scheme, I am certain of it.

Btw, where's Y(I)ago wandered off to?

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well in Finland there are Russian "berrypickers" near just about every major military exercise we have. So Swiss are not the only ones who can be "very unconspicious". ;)

Not much to discuss about this though considering that it was a simple mistake. The Russians violate our airspace on monthly basis (they keep on claiming that it's a mistake but in truth they just can't be bothered to change their flying route to Kaliningrad) and even a Swedish submarine was discovered near Aland not too many years ago.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Not worth much of a hoo-hah but still funny nevertheless. I wonder what happened to the commander of that company of soldiers?

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I hope he didn't get into too much trouble. Still, I can imagine him having to retake basic orienteering courses :D . Of course, if Switzerland is planning to take over the Liechtenstein, his fate may be different (insert ominous music here). We'll see when the Swiss flag flies over Vaduz as the noble Swiss overthrow the evil Liechtensteinian empire :) .

Okay, my bad: technically Liechtenstein is only a principality, but monarchies are monarchies, right :p ? That's what I can appreciate here: even if you want to take over the world, you should start small. Face it, a lot of people can't even point Liechtenstein on a map.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Liechtenstein must not be denied the blessings of democracy. Expect troops to march in quickly, free the Liechtensteinians from the cruel yoke of monarchy, finally give them self-determination, and hang the evil Prince of Liechtenstein. The march of democracy is unstoppable.

Hah, the swiss hung their nobility themselves, and they still have their odd little democracy. Maybe the do-it-yourself part in a revolution is the secret to perpetuating its success.

8. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Let's just keep something in mind here - Liechtenstein is basically a single river valley in the mountains, with 33,997 people; barely enough population for some people's criterion for a 'city' {mine is 1) 30,000 ppl. or more, 2) at least two traffic lights, 3) at least three Tim Horton's shops ;) }

Just a little stats to get perspective here:
    Liechtenstein's area: 160.4km^2 (all land, bodies of water are negligible)

City of New York's land area: 785.6km^2

Heck, I'm not surprised the company accidentally drove into L; I'm surprised they noticed and managed to stop before they drove through the principality and into Austria! :lol:

I'd say it'd be more likely to try to invade it on a dark and stormy night, and MISS. ;)

That said, it sounds like a nice, placid place and likely a great place to live, as well as just about the best place to HQ your corporation:
    :idea: That's what it was! the 'invasion' was actually a failed mass-desertion! The 171 troops wanted to get outta the Swiss military and immigrate to a country that doesn't have a military; I bet the only 'getting lost' part was where they accidentally ended up back in Switzerland! ;)

9. Ragusa

Media:
    Liechtenstein is indeed so small that there is an agreement between them and Switzerland that the Swiss are doing their diplomacy. Cheaper for Liechtenstein. The countries are on very friendly terms.

[ March 12, 2007, 23:29: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

10. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Surely an Swiss offensive will begin by the banks calling in debts? :p

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Maybe, but that's if they want to be methodical. Considering how long it would take to overrun the entire country, the Swiss might be tempted to just make a slightly longer "foray." ;)

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Taking over the country ? I could do that with a single fart, preferably on any given mondaymorning. So if i can do that, so can the Swiss, especially with all those suspicious smelling cheeses they consume overthere.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.