1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The UK PC GAMER gives IWD2 71% !?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Z-Layrex, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] In the months edition of the British version f PC GAMER IWD2 was given 71%!!! They said that it's improved but it's only as good as the first IWD should have been. They said that there is more roleplay but it's still linear and boring. They close by saying how it's a gravestone for the Infinity Engine and is over shadowed by CRPGs like NWN and Dungeion Siege. :eek: Still.... this isn't going to stop me buying it. :D I know i will like it, hell i liked PoR :shake:

[ August 27, 2002, 19:44: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Don't worry too much about it. They might be correct, but it might also be that they don't want to be seen as hailing an old engine (Infinity) when there is a new one.

NWN is overrated by reviewers and I still like BG2 a whole lot so UK PC Gamer's opinion of IWD2 will most likely not be anywhere close to my opinion.

Reviews are still worth reading, but buying any PC game magazine is a waste of money IMHO. :)

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

They also said only D&D nuts will like this game.... i guess that counts us lot in then! :shake:

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

This review would possibly be true for many people, but not for the Die-Hard RPG freaks. Many people look at graphics and functions, when you think that is very important, IWD-2 isn't interesting. But when you go for roleplaying, like in BG2, you won't be disappointed.

5. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I really did not like the first Icewind Dale and never bothered with the expansion. After BG2 it was a real downer. I must have missed Minsc. I have pre-ordered Icewind Dale 2 anyway, because any improvement to the BG2 infinity engine and 1024 x 768 will be very welcome to my eyes :)

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

PC Gamer tends to rate things based on a powergamer's perspective, that's why I don't usually trust their reviews much anymore.

The U.S. version gave it 80-something percent. Strange.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Makes me want to get the game more than ever.

It's like when Skiskel and Ebert say a movie totally sucks; you know that movie is awesome and that you need to go watch it.

Or when they tell you a movie is oustanding; you know that you need a bottle of whiskey when you take your girlfriend/wife to see it, 'cause it's that painful.

Seriously, these people have become de-sensitized; they have no sense.

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

It's all down to the reviewer. The reviewer (Richard Cobbet) seems to always be giving low scores.

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

That's such a sweeping generalisation it sounds as though it was written by a critic :p

The point about reading reviews (at least for me) is not the mark they give the film/game/book/whatever but the description. The trick is finding a critic whose descriptions tell you not only whether HE liked the film/game/etc but whether it sounds like the kind of thing YOU would like. And actually Ebert is quite good for this - I don't always agree with him (he gave TITanic 4 stars :aaa: ???) but his description are written with enough skill that I may get an inkling of what the film is really like.

So in this case I will play IWD2 no matters what mark they give it - because I know I like that type of game (and anyway 71% is not exactly a bad mark).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.