1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Voyage West OOC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This is the thread for those joining (there will be a cut off point eventually for joining), questions about the thread and characters and various miscellaneous information about the world and RP.

The Multiverse of Waern is in theory my creation, rather then a preconstructed world. The eastern half of the world, that is the oriental aspect of this world is largely uncompleted. Unfortunately 7 of the 60 living deities are not completed so there won't be the full spectrum of deities I wished to have.

Also, this world is not set in stone, if you have any suggestions to improve this world, please feel free to make a leave a suggestion.

2. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

In Waern, female adventurers find themselves in an odd place in a largely patriarchal society. They don't fit the role of a traditional woman so aren't treated as one, nor are they allowed the role men fill and instead they end up someone outside social confines.

Magic in Waern is somewhat different then in D+D. Magic users don't memorize spells or what not, instead they draw upon their mental endurance to determine the amount of magic they can use.

There are three types of magic users in Waern, battle mages (who won't appear in this RP), academy trained mages and innate magic users.

Academy trained mages rely on schooling to learn magic and the spells they cast are more of a reflection or modification of the spells they learned in school. They often carry huge spellbooks simply to help them remember they vast number of spells they where taught at one point or time. Almost all academy trained mages have been so by the Order of the Arcane (commonly referred to as the Order), an insanely power mage guild and wields considerable power everywhere in the west. Academy trained mages rely heavily on gestures, incantations and materials to focus their spells; for this reason the spells of academy trained mages are very controlled, almost only be dangerous when intended.

Innate magic users on the otherhand are never taught to use magic and the spells they cast are a reflection of their personality. They are typically more powerful then their average academy trained counterpart, but particularly dangerous to themselves and others around them as their use of magic is not every controlled and it isn't uncommon for random amounts of magic force to escape the caster's control and destroy various objects and people in the general vicinity; needless to say innate magic users aren't very popular with most people and are hunted by the Order because they are dangers to society (and for other, more sinister reasons). Innate magic users have only minimal need for gestures or incantations and have no need of material when casting.

In terms of divine magic, the northern areas commonly have divine spellcasters called witches, who unlike druids and clerics, don't rely on deities for power, but instead draw their power from the various beings of the spirit world, particularly the dead. This connection with the dead is reflected in their magic.

[ December 29, 2006, 07:27: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Okay, I'm in. Will throw a character up tomorrow. Just skimmed through the posts - been driving the last 11 hours... a long time for a small country, so might have missed it mentioned already - but where abouts is the game set?

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Game starts out in "the Northlands", a relatively uncivilized land with an Old Norse flair, predominately devoid of unifying leadership (save the kingdom of Vorstul, which is thoroughly evil and somewhat chaotic, home to vikings and other raiders to prey on the more southern kingdoms) and of hostile environment. The heros are setting our of the town Coldriver, one of the larger towns and one of the few free from the influence of the destructive nature gods that hold power over so much of the north.

[ December 30, 2006, 15:11: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

There we go. Character up. Let me know if anything is seriously wrong or lacking. If not, I'll throw up a post in the IC thread tomorrow :)

6. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Let me note that it isn't important that you actually admire your patron deity. There are plenty of good people in Waern who worship or even take patronage of evil deities simply because that deity has the most influence in their life. For many simple folk religion is simply a way to keep bad things from happening to oneself, the actual agenda of a deity is of no consequence. Waern has something of a pantheon effect in terms for religion practice. Deities of Waern are in no way effected by their worshipers and hence through the years of noticing deities are not effected in terms of power by worship, people have come to the realization that the worship of evil deities aren't problematic, only their churches are.

More educated or experienced persons are in turn more apt to narrow down their focus or champion a specific deity, as championing a deity helps in terms of politics or survival in the likes of an adventuring situation.

7. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Created my character. Hope this works because this is my first attempt at a roleplay.

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Just a little note if any one cares.

In Waern, "Common" tongue is essentially a bastardization of Archaic Akhuneinian. Akhunein a nation ruled by the god-king Pharaoh, with obvious similarities to Ancient Egypt (though Akhunein has a notable absence of pyramids). It's written language resembles Egyptian hieroglyphics (because of the difficulty of this script, mages more often use Draconic for informal writings).

In both Old Lyonesse and the Northlands, the native tongues remain to some degree, with original dialect of Old Lyonesse being a form of Sylvan and the original dialect of the Northlands being a form of Giant, derived from the frost giant tongue.

9. Rotku

So that's the language most people speak? Are there any other regional specific langauges? (I'm mainly thinking about the kingdom of Lyonesse)

10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

The western world of Waern would typically speak this "Common". Non-humans may prefer other languages like Elven, Dwarven and the like.

Because Akhunein has divine rulership, it is more powerful then other nations both militarily and economically. When it began to make contact with other groups of people over the last several thousand years, its advanced state of civilization and economics made it a very appealing trading partner for other kingdoms or tribes and they opted to learn Akhuneinian to better trade with the Akhuneinians. Over the years the Akhuneinian spoken by the non-Akhuneinians became more and more influenced by the native dialects in the region. As other kingdoms began to develop, this bastardized Akhuneinian came into contact with other forms of bastardized Akhuneinian which created a "universal" version of this bastardized Akhuneinian transformed into modern Common.

Native dialects are only found in Old Lyonesse and the Northlands who have considerably less contact with the civilized world then other western locals and nowadays, common is preferred, even in these regions, to their native tongues. Common tongue has even replaced Akhuneinian in Akhunein, though the Akhuneinian royal court still speaks Akhuneinian in it's archaic or true form. The teaching of the native, sylvan dialect of Lyonesse in the civilized kingdom of Lyonesse has been illegal for over the last 30 years. The Lyonessians believe that the sylvan language has no place in a civilized kingdom like theirs.

11. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

As a note for making sure we make it through the first day, just post in here when you're ready for nightfall. That way we can get in as much as we want on the first day, but don't have to make our characters unrealistically open with other characters.

This initial part is for character development, but I don't want this part to drag out too long seeing as we will be at sea for more then a day or two.

12. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The cat's ready.

13. Rotku

Ready!

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    As long as no one notices the burn marks I'm ready! :p

15. Arrow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ready

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Max Spellbinder is ready to face the new day!

Edit: Sorry Dave

[ January 13, 2007, 08:32: Message edited by: The Magister ]

17. Rotku

If anyone wants to do a bit of RPing at any time in the chat room (#sp_mm) with the characters, just character interaction, not moving the story foward, shoot me a PM sometime - assuming the doesn't mind Ilmater's Suffering - and we could just post up a write up in the RP thread. Much faster way of having a conversation.

18. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I'm done, just improvised a bit of history :D let the night commence!

19. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Please delete

[ February 02, 2007, 04:04: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

20. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

I'm thinking the RP will spend two more days at sea (four days total). On the fourth day at sea, an "event" will happen and force us into the true storyline. I think that should be enough time to cover the events I want to have happen before we get to where we're going.

If you have any feedback (which I'd appreciate, seeing as how an RP thread runs a lot slower then a D+D game) or comments, post them there and I'd be more then happy to address them or try to tweak the RP to incorporate them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.