1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dice, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It seems from some comments in the RBP that at least a few people around here watch The Walking Dead.

I enjoy the horror/drama/fantasy mix of the whole thing. I'm not sure why zombies are so appealing but they are.

The other nice thing about the series is that despite the drama type setting, you really don't have to take it too seriously. The characters are somewhat stereotypical but enjoyable in their good/badness. I always get a little upset when they kill a favourite character but as long as the story keeps developing I get over it.

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Like I said in the RBP, it's a show I wish I could love, but there are too many flaws. One of my major annoyances is some of the main characters. The way they talk sounds forced or strained to me. It isn't the way people talk naturally, it's a bit hard to explain actually, but Rick and Shane have it pretty bad. Like they are monologueing constantly and want to put too much weight on their words. Hershell has it as well a bit. The thing is, I remember seeing Hershell and Rick Grimes in other movies and they more or less had the same way of delivering their lines, so maybe it's just the casting.

Forced may also be the right way to describe the storyline, but usually it just lingers on for a few episodes (especially in season 2, it wasn't that bad in season 1).

I will probably kid myself and think I'll take more enjoyment out of the third season, since all the elements are there for a great zombie franchise (and I do love zombies), it just constantly fails to live up to my expectations.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Prefer Breaking Bad. Awesome series.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I take it as a scripted comic book. All the characters are over dramatized and stereotypical to some extent but it IS a series about zombies. I don't want to take it seriously, and I really enjoy the sheer ridiculousness of it. The ending scene of the very first episode was perfect when the disembodied voice from inside a tank called Rick a dumb-ass.

I am a little disappointed that they killed off Shane because he had a lot of appeal as a villain. Now that Rick is becoming a bad-ass it might have actually been interesting to see Shane develop into a protagonist. Although I loved the honourable character of Dale it might actually make the series a little more edgy now that he's dead, He was kind of the "angel" on the groups shoulders. Without him there is even more potential for mayhem.

Although Lori is supposed to be a leading female character I find she falls pretty short at times. Andrea rocks, however! I love how she was on the verge of giving up her life and when she wasn't allowed to, she toughened her skin and became a kick-ass b!tch.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I had been watching The Walking Dead through seasons 1 and 2 and the first half of 3. I'm done with it now. I find I really don't care about any of the characters and that the whole thing has just turned into a soap opera that happens to have zombies.

Don't care about the Governor, Andrea, Rick's pending insanity, Glen's issues, etc. Just done with it. Time to find another show to watch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.