1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The World in Your Head is Not Realistic

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Oaz, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Okay, first of all, I don't know if this is supposed to be in Whatnots or CS, but there was a post several weeks ago about worlds in other people's heads. Well, after reading them, I thought to myself, "Wow, those are some really imaginative worlds, but if those worlds were manifested into reality, would everything work out like the people have it in their heads?" I just suggest that if you're having a world in your head, there's a way to make it more realistic, and perhaps, better.

And by the way, the link pretty much applies to a bread-and-butter imaginary world, such as FR or Greyhawk - a world that is subject to the forces of economy, politics, etc.

http://www.3rdedition.org/articles/viewer.asp?ID=50

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Thanks for the link. It is a very insightful article and I hope many people read it. (Please read it folks.) I think it applies to making modules in NWN too (to a lesser degree). So yes, it's very relevant.

Still it wouldn't hurt to start small, with a particular city of interest and build outwards from there. You can't overlook the cities. What are countries without cities?

3. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think I need to find a way to put my imagition to better use.

I agree with you Big B. I'll probley be using this info to my greater knolege of (&*^@^*&) and it's worldly people.

Hummm, even though this my rant seems to go no where I just had an idea!

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This is a great link! Ok, so I'm over reacting but its advice is good, very good infact.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Big B, indeed, that is right. I'm sure plenty of cities in history grew powerful enough to maintain order in the city. Then they expanded and decided they owned the lands 10 miles from the city. Then the mines and forests 20 miles from the city. Before you know it, they had a small nation with the original city as the capital: a city-state.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Many people will find this useful - I better forward it

7. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Look, hey, I posted there and I don't care if that world is 'unrealistic'. It's my world and it's real to ME. :flaming:

8. Xaelifer Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] What? What! WHAT? Oh, no! Now the NPC's are talking about imagining their own world! We better whack the one who looks like a bear!

Yeeeessssss, massssssterrrrr

Very good. Mwah hah hah. I am god.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Please someone explaine what Xaelifer is on about :confused:

My topic about my world was just the basic geography BTW ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.