1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Year's Review

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aikanaro, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I know that this was on the front page, but I think this deserves discussing.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=94

Methinks they've summed it up pretty well. Especially in the 'Nobody, but nobody ****s up like Interplay does' comment. How long do we think Interplay can hold out against inevitable death?

And whilst on the subject: Death to Interplay!

[ January 26, 2004, 16:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't really agree with a few things.

NWN OC wasn't that bad. And SoU and HoTU are certainly worthy of praise.

And Epic Rules horrible? Bah. Guess some people simply don't have the balls to play high level games. I'll just let them gasp in awe over a +1 dagger and a magic missile once a day. I'll be over there putting my +10 Keen Flaming Katana to use on that bunch of celestials.

Epic = Munchkin? No. Down with those who think so.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Most people at RPG Codex hate BioWare on principle, so that kind of sentiment is hardly surprising. Still, they should at least give credit where credit is due (HotU), and try not to pass judgements over things they either haven't even played, or can't bear to look upon objectively.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    KotOR was definately a step in the right direction even if it had a bunch of issues like it being way too easy and too short. For me atleast it showed that a good story driven RPG could be made with 3d graphics.

I am starting to get interested in trying out the NWN expansions, but I am not really all that keen on spending 50+ bucks on what is basically two modules. The pricing of expansion packs is way off, if it had been around 10$ a pop it might be interesting but now it is around 30 and that is more or less what a reasonable old full game costs.

5. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I have to say that I laughed at the last part of the article, but some of the titles slagged off are good games (I say some, because i haven't played half of them). Still, an amusing article.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Makes you wonder what those guys at RPG Codex think a good game is.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Though the article is quite amusing, and I think their assessment of Interplay was right on the money, I have to disagree with almost everything they said regarding Neverwinter Nights. Frankly, I think they're whining too much.

I can appreciate purist viewpoints regarding games to a degree, but to trash the games like that just makes him sound like a douchebag. Are there any better D&D games out at the moment? No. Currently nobody does it better than Bioware. You may not like the games, but to not acknowledge the quality of these games just because you have some lame elitist gamer's grudge is kinda sad.

It's like people who rant and rave about Drow being represented in one single portrait as being slightly blue-skinned, when everyone knows they're black-skinned, as if it matters that much to begin with. ;)

Point is, when you complain about the unfavorable details so much that it overshadows the game, then you're playing for wrong reasons. Just shut up and enjoy the game, you already paid for it. And if you're complaining because you already bought it and are disappointed, it's your fault for buying a crappy game.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The point of NWN isn't in its OC...it's the multiplayer.

But Dungeon Seige does indeed sucked. It's like Diablo 2 in 3D.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Penny Arcade addressed some of these issues in these series of comics (this comic and the next 4 - click the pretty 'Next' button on the PA page).

It doesn't matter if the game smells like crap, to the developers crap can be hyped and if crap is hyped it smells like money.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.