1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Xyx, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Xyx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I may have to roll up a Thief for my next bhaalspawn... but I always considered Thieves to be a bit of a let-down compared to spellcasters. Maybe I'm not doing it right. My experience is limited to Imoen and Jan, which I treated more like "mages with benefits".

I need my Thief to pick locks. What sort of Pick Locks scores does this require throughout SoA and ToB? I had Jan raise it up to about 150% just in case and ran into a few locks he couldn't open. I don't mind memorizing a few Knock spells, but I'd hate to have to rest every time I try to open a few chests.

I also need my Thief to detect traps. What sort of Find/Remove scores does this require? Does a higher score mean traps are detected sooner? I again had Jan raise it up to about 150%, but he sure took his time detecting traps I knew were there, and he accidentally set a few off as well. If it's not reliable, I might as well use Minor Spell Turning.

I may also want to backstab a bit. How much Hide in Shadows is required for that? Just how big is the "back" angle? 180 degrees? What are good backstabbing weapons? Celestial Fury? Blackrazor? Carsomyr (assuming a Fighter dual or multi)? Staff of the Ram? Staff of the Magi? Iron Golem fists (lol)? Does all of the damage get multiplied, including stuff like bonus fire damage? Do enemy mages still cast their prep Stoneskin if you sneak up to them? Which big baddies have unexpected immunity to backstabbing?

How does Detect Illusions work? I always assumed it kind of happened automatically, but I never noticed Jan doing anything with it despite a score of 150% and looking for traps all the time.

How does Set Snares work with Spike Trap? Does a low score cause the ability to fail? Does 100% guarantee success?

Other than Use Any Item and Spike Trap, which HLAs are worth picking?

I suppose I should dual- or multiclass. I'm a purist, so I won't be installing any fancy mods. Just the fixpack. Which of these is "best"?
    • Kensai 13/Thief
    • Berserker 13/Thief
    • Wizard Slayer 13/Thief (Carsomyr!)
    • Fighter/Thief multi (HLAs!)
    • Thief/Mage multi (Mislead!)
    • Swashbuckler 15/Mage (will I get enough skill points for ToB?)
    • Pure Swashbuckler

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I personally enjoyed a cleric/thief. Once you get UAI you get to wear the Robe of Vecna and use the Staff of the Magi. Staves are the best backstabbing weapons in the game (Staff of Rynn early and Staff of the Ram later) so it's not a disadvantage to only using staves.

I find you rarely need about 100% in much of anything. When you are starting you can get various magic items to build up several stats that you won't need to pump to 100% right away. Target ~70% on most of your needed traits -- Find/Remove Traps, Open Locks, and Pick Pockets. You'll need evel less for Move Silently and Hide in Shadow. This will allow you to build up Set Snares to ~70%, then Detect Illusion.

Detect Illusion is just like having True Seeing (Sight) for unlimited number of uses per day. It's an incredibly useful skill.

Assassination is a good HLA. But the best are UAI and Spike Trap. As a cleric/thief, combining Implosion and Spike Trap will take out most things in the game.

There are a couple of very good thief guides out there (on SP and Gamefaq), you should look through those.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can't backstab with a weapon a thief can't normally use, like Carsomyr. The best backstab weapons are staves, being two-handed and doing the highest base damage of thief weapons. Dragons are immune to backstab, as well as a few other creatures. Most creatures in BG2 aren't though.
    Not all the damage is multiplied (like bonus fire damage) though a large chunk of it will be. High level thieves should be able to reach a backstab damage of 70+, higher depending on strength and weapon used. I've seen an Assassin hit for 120+ backstab damage (they can reach x7 multiplier) and I've seen people brag about doing higher than that. These are critical hits, by the way.

100% in everything is enough for SoA, for ToB you can use items like Potions of Master Thievery or Potions of Perception to boost your skills. Detecting traps takes time, regardless of skill points. Don't forget that picking locks/disabling traps gives you XP and those numbers can add up. Thieves are a valuable early-game asset because of this.

100% in Set Traps guarantees success in setting snares. This is a particularly important skill for Bounty Hunters. A low score can cause the ability to fail, and even (worse case scenario) backfire. HLA traps are exempt, you can have a Set Traps score of 0 and you'll always succeed in setting them.

Detect Illusions works like True Sight, as T2Bruno mentioned. Try using it on invisible caster, mages using Mirror Image, mages using the Simulacrum or Mislead spells, etc.

Swashbucklers can't backstab and they get much more powerful at higher levels so I wouldn't dual-class one.

4. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I can recommend Chris Lee's excellent Thief guide for BG2.
    It is available on SP & gamefaqs and will answer almost all your questions.

edit:
    Sorry Tal, didn't know, it is hosted here as well ^^.

[Np, as far as the IE games go, everything that's on GF is also on SP. -Tal]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  5. Xyx Gems: 5/31

I don't think Edwin would like that. I'll also have Viccy to cover my clerical needs.

Are there any particular advantages to Cleric/Thief? Is Sanctuary any good?

OK, I'm sold!

Strange. I had Jan running a script that continually has him looking for traps, which supposedly also activates Detect Illusions, yet I had to use the Jansen Spectroscopes several times to reveal invisible opponents.

Just finished reading it. Excellent work!

I think I'll go with a Kensai 8/Thief. Chris Lee makes a good case for the Bounty Hunter, but a pure Bounty Hunter seems so weak towards the end of the game. Dualling at level 8 means regaining Kensai abilities at 200,000 Experience, which still leaves me most of the game to backstab people to bits.

Thanks for the help, all!

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sanctuary was not a real benefit, but Harm combined with any trap is deadly.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I don't think kensai8/thief is a build worth playing. If you want the kensai for roleplaying reasons wait until level 9 for the extra +1 to hit and damage and proficiency point. If you dual at level 8 you effectively even get 1 proficiency point less than when dualing at level 7 since the proficiency point gained at thief level 8 can't be used for specializing.

Don't follow the guide blindly, it has many errors, think for yourself. The recommended levels for Kensai dualclassing don't make sense and multiclasses are far better than told in the guide, F/M/T has lots of skillpoints at 660,000 XP already and needs only 2,250,000 XP to cast level 6 spells for example.

8. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I second that Kensai 9->Thief is far better than 8->Thief.
    10 Thief levels are gained back easily enough.

But when searching for the rogue experience I would avoid the FMT, it is too tempting
    using him as a F/M. Every Mage bit in a multiclass tends to overpower the caracter a bit.
    But that might just be me. I had the most fun with a pure Bounty Hunter.
    It makes a difference if you are forced to rely on thieving skills.
    Nonetheless, the FMT is an immensely powerful thief.

Similarly with a multiclass F/T; this class is really powerfull but it is just too tempting to use him as an improved
    fighter later on with tons of Whirlwinds and Use Any Item.

So, just for the fun factor, I'd say a pure class or dualclass is the most enjoyable but not necessarily the most powerful.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  9. T2Bruno

Media:
    Either Kensai 7 or Kensai 9 -- Kensai 8 is a either too soon or too late.

10. Xyx Gems: 5/31

The reason for Kensai 8 was that I'd regain my Kensai levels quickly after dualling because I'm looking for the early game Thief experience as well. If I just wanted a powerful character I'd dual at Kensai 13 (and not to Thief...) Kensai 9 requires an additional 250,000 or so Experience to regain, which is a considerable chunk of the early game. Still easily doable, of course, and quite possibly worth it. There's Imoen and Yoshimo to give me a taste, anyway. I'll have to think it over.

I'm experimenting with a script that has the party plant 6 traps at the press of a key, too. It's still a bit glitchy, but I have a feeling that I'll be using it a lot.

11. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Just so you know the trick with detecting illusions is that you need to be in really close range (as in almost melee range) and detecting for traps for it to work. Since you were using Jan you were likely too far away each time.

12. Xyx Gems: 5/31

That explains. It's not the "free True Sight" it's cracked up to be, then. True Sight kills Mislead clones across the map.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Then do it immediately after character creation. You'll have your thief levels almost back by the time you leave Irencus' Dungeon. I'm like kmonster in that I much prefer multi classing thieves as opposed to dual classing them, as I find a multi-classed figher/thief to be pretty much the equal to single classed fighters and thieves, and you get two sets of HLAs to boot.

The larger point is you want to dual class at a point in time where it gives the largest benefit without waiting too long when it would take forever to get your first class levels back. I agree with what others have said - dualling at 8 is suboptimal. Level 7 - which is the earliest you could do it, is also the level where all fighters get an extra 1/2 attack per round, so that's a pretty good point. However, if you really want that extra kai ability that you'd get at level 8, I'd try to hold off until level 9. You get an extra proficiency point, an extra point to your THAC0, and another roll of d10 for your hitpoints.

If you really want the thief experience though, you'll be best served by dualling immediately after you create your character. You get 89K XPs at character creation. If you dual immediately, you'll need to get to just level 8 as a thief to reactivate your fighter traits. Here's a quick XP breakdown.

Fighter 7 / Thief 8 - requires 64K XPs as a fighter (which you have at the start of the game) and then just 70K XPs as a thief to get your fighter sklls back.

Fighter 8 / Thief 9 - 125K as a fighter, 110K as a thief.

Fighter 9 / Thief 10 - 250K as a fighter, 160K as a thief.

To me, the first choice is the easy one. Just need to earn 70K - a sizable chunk of which you'll get just for completing the initial dungeon - as you already start with all the fighter XPs.

The fighter 8 / thief 9 option requires an additional 36K XPs in the fighter class, along with an additional 40K XPs in your thief class, for a total of 146K XPs - more than double the first option.

The fighter 9 / theif 10 option to me just requires too many XPs to be worth considering. You'll still need an additional 161K XPs as a fighter before you even dual, and then you'll need another 160K XPs as thief, for a total investment of 321K XPs. That's 4.5 times as many as the first option, and about 2.5 times as many as the second option.

14. Xyx Gems: 5/31

I'm going to dual at 9, and I think I'll keep Yoshimo around until I regain the Kensai levels.

I always forget Kai... Despite all the Kensai (duals) I played, I can't remember using it once. Maybe I should add it to my script... If not mage (has more important things to do) and not thief (must wait for backstab), use Kai whenever possible.

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    I'm with Aldeth on the multiclassing versus dueling. Greater Whirlwind is awesome and Assassination with fighter 'to hit' is even better (especially if using improved haste). Early on your an effective fighter, later in the game you're a backstabbing demon.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    If you don't mind using SK, you could even be a multi-classed Kensai-Thief. I love SK for things like this. In the BG1 NPC in BG2 mod, I've been doing that a lot. You can make Montaron a fighter-assassin, and make Tiax a cleric-swashbuckler. It's good stuff. And of course the always popular berserker-cleric.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I recommend MY thief guide, that I wrote a loooooooong time ago, with Extremist's help, bless him. It contains rather detailed information on the kits and the thief class itself. Nothing about HLA's though :D The guide is just too old :D

18. Xyx Gems: 5/31

How is dual class THAC0 calculated anyway? Is it just the best one, or does a Berserker 13/Mage 17 have a better THAC0 than a Berserker 13/Mage 14?

Of course, but better than a dual-class?

Nah, I'm too much of a purist.

I had a look. The information is certainly detailed but I'm not as interested in the "what" as I am in the "why" and the obscure mechanics.

Speaking of obscure mechanics...

How does stealth really work? I get the obvious part of pressing F6, vanishing and then backstabbing people, but...
    • What's the deal with the two skills? When does the one get checked, and when the other? If I keep perfectly still after hiding, does my Move Silently matter? If "Hide In Shadows Succeeded" and I enter a room full of enemies, does my Hide In Shadows still matter?
    • How does "Leaving Shadows" trigger and resolve? Seems like it takes 6 seconds if no enemies are around, and anywhere between 0 and 6 seconds if they are.
    • Shadows? What is this about "massive penalties in broad daylight"? Just how bad is it? Does it matter if I stand beneath a tree? What sort of skill scores do I need to not have to worry about this anymore?

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes.

No - because it's the berserker THAC0 in each case - in this example the base THAC0 would be 8, before taking into account proficiencies, strength, and enchantment on the weapon.

Yes, because you get access to BOTH sets of HLAs. A dual class won't get greater whirlwind for example.

Pretty much - hide in shadows gets checked every round, irrespective of what your character is doing. Move silently only gets checked if you're moving.

I think it auto-triggers when you enter/exit a room, so you can't stealth, enter a room, and still be hiding if it's full of enemies. As for resolving it seems to be dependent on what you do. If you attack, you immediately become visible. If you don't it seems like it takes a full round to wear off.

There is a penalty in broad daylight. It's much easier to hide inside. I've had characters with 100% fail outdoors. I don't know how big the penalty is. It seems like if you get to 120%, it always works. That's my stop point. I usually go 100 in hard points, and then get the rest for things like boots of stealth or the like.

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    I agree with Aldeth on this but will add it depends on when you dual. In fact, after you dual but before you exceed the level of your first class it will be much more difficult for the dual classed character. The theiving abilities will be about the same at the time your first class becomes available again and will go up slower for the multiclass. This is generally not a problem because you really don't need to be a good thief in the game.

I think the only advantage for dual classing a fighter/thief is the ability to become a grand master of a weapon. Even then, +2 to hit and +4 damage is not significantly better than +1 to hit and +2 damage -- as a thief the best THAC0 you'll get is 10 while it's zero for a fighter. For comparison a fighter gets THAC0 of 10 at 11th level. So even the additional +3 to hit and damage from kensai at 8th level is only going to get you a THAC0 of 8 and you'll get down to a THAC0 of 5 at 21st level thief (for a kensai/thief 8/21). For the same number of experience points the multiclass (F/T 13/15) will be at THAC0 of 7, but will eventually get down to -1 while the dual classed character remains stagnant in combat ability (except HLAs).

Even though the kensai/thief will have a better THAC0 for a good portion of the game, the lack of armor and bracers will be a liability. Overall I think it's a wash with the multiclass becoming more powerful by ToB.

On the other hand, taking the kensai to 13th level and adding the grandmastery fix will make the dual classed kensai/thief significantly more capable in battle, perhaps eclipsing the multiclass -- just realize the xps from the first class do not count toward total xps to gain HLAs. While the multiclass only needs 3 million xp total to unlock HLA's, the dual class needs 3 million xp in the second class.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.