1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thinking of buying gaming console, tips anyone?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by DragonSlayer21, Jul 8, 2001.

1. I am thinking of buying a gaming console like PS2, but I'm not sure if I should wait for the X-box or the new Nintendo.

If anyone here has purcased these machines, maybe they could help me decide what to buy.

2. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

hmmm my philosophy has always been, you have a computer what do you need a PS2 for? Pretty much just a low grade PC.

3. Silverblade Guest

I agree with Kitiria, but if you really want to buy a console you should by the Xbox (I don't have either of them but what I have seen from the statistics in a game magazine, the Xbox looks better then the PS2 or GameCube)

4. The reason why I want one is simply because I have the money right now, it looks like a nifty piece of equipment and sometimes I want to play games without having to fix all kinds of problems first(doesn't happen that often but you know what I mean)

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I am not much a console man myself, they are mainly low grade PCs. But there are some good games that are available on the consoles.

If you must buy a console, I would wait until the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube(Nintendo) are out on the market together to make a choice.

You could always use an emulater.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Save the money I say and upgrade yer PC some more.

7. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Why don't you try a portable hand-held system? GameBoy Advanced is just out and it looks kinda sweet. Now, if you exclusively want a console, I'd do a little research on the games available for each one. What do you need a PS2 if you only like two games on it? I'd keep my money though and buy more PC games :D.

8. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Will the PS2 be compatible with the original games? I've got a stack of them that I like to play every once in awhile. Then I could keep new one, and give the old PS to my daughter.

Btw, the biggest reason I'd play console over pc games is that I play the console games while lying in bed! :D Plus my tv screen is lots bigger than my monitor.

9. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Darien, PS2 games are compatible with original.

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

just dont buy a console, i outta know i bought a PS2 recently and although onimushu: warlords is a kickass game, i prefer my computers and my laptop more, not to mention you can always download roms and emulators ;), if however you really want to delve into the dark abyss of console gaming why not dive into it with the best console in hand? and that console is the x-box, by far, although the hardware is just a heap of steaming load compared to a good PC, its still a quantum leap ahead of all those other steaming piles known as consoles.

11. Silverblade Guest

About the portable hand-held system, I don't know if there are a lot of commercials and stuff in your country talking about how great the Gameboy Advancedis, but I read an article about the Gameboy Advanced saying that the Sega Gamegear from a few years back is still better then the Gameboy Advanced. I think the Nintendo people just through a crappy game console on the market and thinking that they could be succesfull with it just like with the GameBoy. I think the Gameboy is absolutely over and it doesn't matter how many new Gameboy's (Gameboy Advcanced, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Pocket etc.) the make, they won't sell.

12. Think I'm gonna go ahead and buy it anyway.
    And the fact that I can lie in bed and play adventure games on my bigscreen tv is a huge plus :D :D

+ I can use my old games(and there's a whole bunch of them) and controllers.

13. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Of my knowldge Gamecube is Nintendo's latest invention, correct me if i am wrong.
    I myself am waiting for the x box since they say it will be as good as computer maybe better. I would rather get the PS2 then the Gamecube but X box is far the best.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.