1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhaal.... Ultimate Adventure Party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Wordsmith, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Wordsmith Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I feel pretty good about the party that I have assembled for ToB, let me make a case for them.

1. Main Character - Skie - Cleric/Fighter

I think this is the strongest dual character kit around. Not only do you get access to fighter pool abilities like Greater Whirlwind, you also gain access to priest quest spells, like Summon Greater Elemental and Aura of Flames. A pretty lethal combination when you want to send your Priest/Fighter into the thick of things.

I have Skie equipped with either Crom Fayer or Flail of Ages +5, and a Red Dragon armor. Plus the shield Sentinel found in the Drow City in BGII, which is a +4. She is also equipped with the Ring of Gaxx for regeneration and Baldur's Helm.

2. Keldorn - Paladin Kit

Pretty much standard for any party who is not traveling elitist evil, Keldorn is just an incredibly powerful unit in the front lines. He has access to both Fighter and Paladin pools, so I load him up with Greater Whirlwinds and Summon Deva.

The thing that makes Keldorn near unbeatable is an exploit in the game using Simuculacram. Using Vhailor’s Helm, you can cast a duplicate of Keldorn, and have that copy cast multiple Summon Devas. There are no limits to the amount of Devas you can cast in this fashion. However, I rarely use this cheat, and only exploit it when I am pressed for time and would like to see the story progress.

Keldorn is a powerful fighter even without the Devas, and I have him equipped with Carsomyr +6 and Improved Firecam Armor and Ring of Perservation +2 (both found in BGII Improved Items mod).

3. Minsc - Fighter/Berserker

Another reliable frontline tank, Minsc however doesn't really have anything useful to cast besides Greater Whirlwind. He is useful though for being proficient in all the great weapons that you come along in ToB. I have him either equipped with the Ravager +6 or Runehammer +5 in his right hand and Axe of Unyielding +5 in his off-hand.

Minsc also has a Ring of Perservation +2 and Shurupaak's plate and Montolio's Cloak.

4. Haer'Dalis - Bard

The bread and butter of my party, next to Edwin. Haer'Dalis really comes into his own in ToB, even though some players never get the chance to play him since he is so weak and rarely gains experience in BGII.

However, if you do get Haer to respectable levels by the time ToB rolls around, he is quite a front-line tank to behold. Haer is equipped with the Aslyferund Elven Chain Mail +5, which is a little too late by the time ToB rolls around but, with its inherent Protection from Normal Weapons, still makes him immune to regular enemies.

He also has the Celestial Fury +5 in his right hand, and the Spectral Brand +5 in his off-hand. Ouch.

Lastly, the thing that makes Haer'Dalis potent in ToB is his access to mage spells. The possibilities are pretty impressive. He can cast Stoneskin repeatedly on himself, which makes him near invincible in the front-lines while engaging in melee. But best of all, he can stand aside and cast Project Image on himself, then the copy Haer'Dalis can cast Protection:Divinition so that the Project Image can't be dispelled by True Sight! Then the copy Haer'Dalis can cast Teneser's Transformation on himself to beef up his physical stats, then go to work.

5. Jaheira - Druid

I just have her around for the romance sake of my main character, and she is actually a weaker part of my group. However, she serves to cast protective spells on my party, and if you equip her right (either Water Talon +4 and Shield of the Order +4 and Ring of Protection +3 to make her less susceptible to melee attacks, or have her throw the Unicorn Spear +3, which unfortunately becomes uselss in ToB and you have to go melee with a +4 weapon or better). She is there for romance purposes!

6. Edwin - Mage/Conjurer

The powerhouse of the group. Just load up on Greater Alaricity/Time Stop/Horrid Wilting and watch the fur fly! I rarely use this combo unless severely taxed, and usually the party can get the job done just by Edwin pitching in with a few Skeleton Warriors summon (invaluable for their resistance to magic) and shooting some Magic Missles/Horrid Wilting/Chain Lightning.

He also has the Staff of the Magi, which makes him completely elusive to enemies.

That's my ToB party. Share yours! Let's discuss. But I don't think I would change my party for any other.

2. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sorry, I just have a question. How is Celestial Fury a +5 weapon? That's the katana from the guarded compound, right? I thought it was just +2.

Ok, I lied. This will be my party when I get to TOB.

FMT- Michaela. She is AWESOME now, when she gets to higher levels she will be unstoppable. With access to spells like Contingency and Chaincontingency, she will never be helpless, plus add protection from spell x and that is just ridiculous.

Imoen- what can I say? She's awesome.

Minsc- I just can't leave the guys I came out of Chateau Irenicus with behind

Jaheira- see both of the above ;)

Aerie? Only taking her cause she is all I really know, plus shes the only one that has access to Chain Cont. and Priest Spells.

Vicconia- Heh, Drow rock! And I have heard I could get her alignment changed in TOB.

I really don't know who else I could take. With my thief skills I don't need Yoshi or Jan, with mine and immy's mage skills, edwin isn't needed, though I may rob him if he's got anything good, I have 3 or 4 great tanks, so I really don't need Keldorn and Anomen is annoying... All I really ever use is the above party, never finished a game either. With Minsc, I don't need Valygar, except for his quest. I dont like Mazzy for some reason. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to have at least two healers.

3. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Celestial Fury is +3 but with the Item Upgrade mod you can make it +5. Wordsmith is definantly using it as he/she has mentioned Ring of Preservation among other things.

Best multiclass... ranger/cleric without doubt. After that f/m/t. Matter of opinion but many wouldn't agree on the f/c

Do Inquisistors get Deva's? Inquisitors can't even cast spells can they?

4. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Inquisitors definitely get Deva, yes. A special ability of being a paladin.

5. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Inquisistors can't cast spells, but they get Deva(special ability).

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Not a bad party, but I really don't think it's "the" ultimate party. Maybe it's "your" ultimate party, which is all that really matters.

Here's my "ultimate" party:

Ftr/Illusionist Gnome protagonist (Axe of Unyeilding & Crom Faeyr)

Minsc (Ravager)
    Keldorn (Carsomyr)
    Anomen (Flail of Ages)
    Imoen (Staff of Magi & Gesen)
    Jaheira (Scimitar in WK, can't remember it's name)

Remember, if you're dual weilding, and that offhand weapon is in there for just an extra attack, you're wasting that off-hand weapon.

I like tanks. Everybody in this party can tank it, except for Imoen.

7. Wordsmith Gems: 2/31

@ Klorox

I agree about it being "my" unique ultimate party.. I actually made the thread to promote conversation/bragging about fellow players' "ultimate parties".

I don't like tanking as much as I do spell casting. I just like casting spells. I will probably try to have two mages in my party on one of my play-throughs in the game, though the second mage will be very inferior to the first one without the Robe of Vecna/Staff of the Magi.

8. Klorox

It's cool. In my above party, I think I'm going to go a little lighter on the tanks and replace Anomen with Aerie.

She will provide a romance and some more wizardry for my party.

Another interesting idea I had was this:

C/R protagonist
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Sarevok

Then again, like I said, I'm not the biggest fan 'o' wizards, and I can deal without 'em. With that attitude, I might have to go with a C/F dwarf instead of a C/R, even if that character would be much less powerful than a C/R.

9. Ecniv Sllew Gems: 2/31

I got bored with the banter between my NPC's while going through TOB, and hence came to the realisation that the only reason that i always played with NPCs was for the comedic value in the said banters.

So instead of going solo like many others would have done in my position ( im a scaredy-cat and i could never choose ONE character to play with all the way through) i made my 3 characters in multiplayer + picked up edwin ( i was gonna make a mage, but seriously, eddy just owns...)
    So my SoA + ToB party is:

R/C protagonist
    F/M
    Kensai DualClassed to a thief
    Edwin

They could probably each solo the game without TOO much difficulty which means i usually end up concentrating on one more than others in a particular fight and do most of the work with one's special fighting style i.e. buffing up my F/M a bit then running in to a group of enemies and Sunfiring the hell outta 'em (cant wait till i can use spell trigger ...*drools*...)

So yeah, in summary this party can involve a fair bit of micro-management and im often wasting many characters special abilities during fights but im ok with this since it just means im using more diverse tactics - where in soloing you usually figure out one good way to use your character and then stick to that (atleast i did in BG1...)

10. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Make your own party, by playing multiplayer.
    You can then make your own party, much better idea, cause you can balance your party to the max.

My party would be:
    Chavalier (Paladin): Melee fighting
    Barbarian: Melee fighting
    Ranger: Melee and ranged fighting
    Druid: Melee and ranged fighting + spellcasting.
    Thief: Don't know what kit, but it has to be melee or ranged
    Mage: Don't know what kind of mage yet, has to be a protecting type.

11. Dave Q Stone Gems: 2/31

IMHO ultimate party :

with one PC:
    fighter/thief multiclass , better then kensai dualed thief becose of fighter's HLA. Katans, Scimitars and maybe after backstab Foebane
    Keldorn: Carsomyr
    Anomen: Flail of Ages + Crom Fayer
    Jaheira: Spectral B. + Shield
    Edwin: no comment
    Imoen: short bows

with one NPC:
    fighter/thief multiclass , better then kensai dualed thief becose of fighter's HLA. Katans, Scimitars and maybe after backstab Foebane
    Inquisitor: Carsaomyr
    Multi Ranger/Cleric: Flail of Ages + Crom Fayer
    Sorceror
    Imoen
    the last slot is up to you, you already have powerfull party. It can be kensai or berserker dualed to mage , for more mage power or Jaheira for romance. In ToB Sarovok for his personality.

12. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Klorox' (first) ultimate party is almost like mine, other than my PC is an elf or half-elf, and I commonly use other fighters than Minsc.

13. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Dave Q Stone, why Imoen in your second party ? You've got both a thief and sorcerer, no others necessary. Robe of Vecna taken. Immy would be a hindrance.

14. Dave Q Stone Gems: 2/31

Kulyok: becose i would play with 5 charakters + quest charakters (f.e. Korgan and his book) and in spellhold what should i tell Imoen , that i dont wanna take her with me ?!? To my friend from candlekeep ?!? I cant do it :)
    btw 2 Mages are better then one

15. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Ah, Ok. So you're trying to powergame and roleplay in the same time. :D Good luck. (I didn't succeed when I tried it :( )

16. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

my ultimate party made interely by myself would be, nomatter who is the pc.

Sorcerer - absolute best arcane caster
    Ranger/Cleric - also a highly capable fighter
    Fighter/thief or kensai/theif - very good fighter, you could do it without this one, but it makes it much easier

no more chars needed...

17. Klorox

Balle: You're best off making the sorcerer the protagonist in that party, from a powergaming POV.

(only the protagonist can have a familiar)

18. Dave Q Stone Gems: 2/31

Balle , yes no more charakters needed but Inquisitor helps a lot

19. Kulyok Gems: 11/31

Balle,

I used to like your party and do this myself, but the problem that reaaly annoys me is that there is only ONE -2 AC leather armor, and BOTH Ranger/Cleric and Fighter/Thief will need it.

20. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Silence you fools, let the master of evil cheese speak!

Assassin
    Korgan
    Keldorn (he is actualy evil you know...)
    Jan Jansen
    Edwin
    Viconia

If you get the right equipment, you wont have to worry about a thing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.