1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Time on my hands

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lee, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Lee Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am in of need some good honest opinions here. I have played through and absolutely loved all the games that this sight has dedicated it self to (expect POR of course), in some cases i've played through the said games a multitude of times, and have now found that i have exhausted all the possible replay value of these games (atleast for the next 6 months or so). This brings me to my question, what other good RPG games are there out there. There are 3 possible games i have concidered, which have all received some excellent reviews, but none (as far as know) are based on the AD&D rules, which makes them an entire kettle of fish. The games are Arcanum, Wizardry 8 and Gothic. I have considered buying each of these games, in each instance i've hesitated an decided against it. In the case of Wizardry 8 i know it's a part of series that goes back a long way, and i have found no site which compares it to my beloved Infinity engine games. Same goes with Arcanum, i hear it is more of Fall out type game (which i enjoyed, but not nearly as much as the BG's). So this is why i've posted this in the BG2 forum, i want any of you guys who love BG2 and the said games to speak out and help me make my choice. I really need a new game to tide me over until NWN comes out, and i'm getting desperate, the other day i found myself replaying Diablo 2, NOOOOOOOOOO! Somebody stop me before i embarass myself further.

2. I love bg2 Banned

what do you know about nwn?

3. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, hmm. Try branching out from Roleplaying awhile and let yourself cool off. I usually play Starcraft or Delta Force(online) in between BG2 games so I don't get bored too much. I don't have any of those games myself, but it sounds like a lot of people on this board play Arcanum. Oh, and please throw that Diablo 2 out the window while you're at it! I can't believe the people who made Starcraft could make such utter crap!

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Even though you want opinions from people who played BG2, this does not belong in the BG2 forum.

Arcanum is a good game, but if the tactical combat style of BG2 is high on your priorities, then you probably won't like it. Since the world is completely open, there is really no progression of monster strength. You can run into the same monsters at level 5 that you run into on level 50, so the combat is pretty difficult at first, and trivial at the end, at least in my experience.

Other than that, and that the spell selection is rather uninspired, the game is a lot of fun, the story is interesting and you character can develop in any way you choose from a fighter to a thief to a mage to a technologist to a diplomat etc. and AFAIK every obstacle can be overcome by the means appropriate to the skills you've chosen to excel in.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Choose between Arcanum and Anachronox. Or buy them both!

Others are not worth even mentioning.

6. Jerlark386 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Quake 3 is a great role-playing game. You get to play the role of a shooter!

7. Lee Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

oh don't worry, i play other games, mainly Total Annihilation (without a doubt the greatest game of all time), but yeah, i'm after the rpg fix. With Arcanum do the extremely dated graphics have a detrimental affect on the game? And i would also love to hear some responces for Wizardry 8 and Gothic. With Wizardy 8 the idea of a 1st person turn based RPG sounds totally bizarre, yet it gets great reviews. As for Gothic, it's a game that was made in Germany (i think) and sounds like it has a great story, but how do the PRG elements come through?

(sorry about posting on the BG2 forum, thought it would be the most appropriate one, my apologies.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.