1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

To GBA or not to GBA?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Enagonios, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I've been thinking about getting a Gameboy Advance.. to those that have one: is it worth it?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

You'd probably be better off waiting for the Dual Screen to come out...

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The dual screen is out, and disappointing from what I heard. I would wait for the PSP.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Oh, is it? I thought it still was a few months from release, don't think it's out here anyway.

(And I wouldn't trust what people say about either system, simply because of the awful amounts of bias on either side of the console war - and the tendancy of reviewers to be stupid :) )

Aha: lookies at what I found: http://www.rpgconsortium.com/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=80&topicid=254945

[ January 15, 2005, 06:21: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

GBA is all about retro-games that you can play on computer too. So no: it isn't worth it. Save your money for a real system or PSP/NDS.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    GBA is a cool litte system! Golden Sun 1&2 were awsome...and who can forget the Zelda series!? I had a GBA for awhile, but some punk stole it...I'd go out and buy another, but money is tight right now.

The PSP looks to be pretty cool as well...so my advise to you is to get a GBA-SP as well as a PSP and then come back and tell us which one you like more. :rolling:

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I'm kinda broke too so this isn't really an option :D

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Get it, if only for Resident Evil: Gaiden. Nothing wrong with some evilness to rest in your pocket.

And yes, pun was very intended.

9. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

The wife brought me one for Christmas in 2003, bless her. On the whole its probably somewhere between an N64 and SNES in terms of quality.
    Unless you are really into mobile gaming, I would'nt bother as people have stated you probably get better quality by downloading an emulator or something or buying an old N64.
    Advance Wars was quite good, and I dare say there are a couple of other titles that are well worth playing. It is aimed at the younger market though, if your in your 20's or 30's your probably not going to find much to enjoy.
    One tip avoid Tekken Advance and Eye of the beholder (not like the old versions) like the plague.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah, the Gameboy line isn't really meant for anyone over 20 who can afford a laptop...but that never stopped me from getting both! :rolling:

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

cool, thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe I'll just upgrade my PC so I can play soem of the newer games. God knows my crappy video card and 256MB RAM don't cut it anymore.

12. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

There is a lot of 'classic' games out for SP and by classic I mean re-hashes. Most of the games do not use the full potential of the GBA except for the Golden Sun series and a handful of other games.

Its still worth it though - great RPG's and Strategy games.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, I'm really into the handheld RPGs, which is why I LOVE my GBA.

And I think saying that its not meant for anyone over 20 is a bit of a stereotype.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Fire Emblem, Golden sun 1&2, Breath of Fire 1&2, Final Fantasy 1&2, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Boktai 1&2, Shining Soul 1&2 are some of the RPGs tons of adults who are into old school console RPGs would really enjoy. On the small screen, with backlight, they're especially sweet.

Also, because the DS is out, they're going to get even cheaper.

Another caveat is that you can play all GB and GBC games on your GBA...which is another 200 or so games you can play. This isn't available in the DS, which sucks btw.

I would recommend highly, that if you like the kind of games I've mentioned, you should get the GBA SP.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.