1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top Banner (can't miss it) ;)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is just to clarify the sudden appearance of the top banner on the boards.

Since I created Boards O' Magick about 5 months ago there hasn't been a single ad on them and even now I didn't put up any of those annoying ads that have nothing of whatsoever to do with the content of Sorcerer's Place or these boards.
    In their place I made a custom banner that fits the boards rather nicely (I hope you agree!), isn't annoying, doesn't rotate or have any other "qualities" everyone has grown to hate.

And unlike the ads on the site, 5% of all sales made through the Fantasy Books section at the site goes to me.
    Yup, that's it. That's all I get except from the thanks of the fans, which would be more than enough for me if the world operated in the same way.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I have to pay for everything, same as everyone else. Something for the server, another fee for the registaration of the domain name, yet another to pay off this very message boards software you're all currently using and tons of other things that happen in the background and you aren't bothered with. Unlike the major gaming conglomerates like Gamespy, RPG Vault etc. which can afford to pay all their gaming sites' "employees", Sorcerer's Place has always been and always will be a place started, owned and run by fans. Me, Sylvus, and the entire community we've managed to build around here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this explanation. Hopefully with enough fans purchasing some books we'll be able to cover all of the expenses and maybe even make something for ourselves. Hmm, that'd be nice.

2. herf Guest

[​IMG] wow, i never realised, does it actually cost you money personally? about how much does it cost to run the site?

3. Reya Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] ...actually, I was wandering how you got into being a webmaster. I'm doing a webpages design qualification soon, and am interested in what you do and what you get out of it (if you don't mind me asking...sir)

4. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Advertisements suck. Ok. I take that back.

Advertisements that do not relate to the content on the current site, suck.

All your advertisements here should be RPG or D&D related, nothing more, nothing less. No one gives a rats ass about a free Aztek when they come to a site to view RPG material, and is only one of the many reasons why online advertising doesn't work very well.

My only gripe is that the banner is way to big.

Syl...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Reya, if you're doing it for fun, almost nothing.
    It's different if it's a job.

Syl, I'll have a smaller size up soon. This was only a test to see the initial reaction. ;)

6. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

7. herf Guest

[​IMG] well i think it is brilliant. well done urban

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

LOL.

Syl...

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Ok, smaller version up now. When I have the time I'll make another one since this one didn't come out exactly as I planned. But not bad for the first try if I say so myself. ;)

10. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

It's too small.

Syl...

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, I for one would like to say thanks. This is my favorite site for BG2. Between your site and the links posted, it has pretty much everything I might need to know about the game. Also gotta say I like the forum. I've never used one before and now I'm hooked. I say do whatever you need to do to keep this site up and running. Anyway, thanks to the Sorcerer.

While I'm thanking people, great thorough walkthrough Syl..

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh, heh... Ass-kisser

Hey! Just kidding! Sheesh!

I happen to agree; you two are great... But Syl, you gotta let go of that walkthrough a little and have some fun with this BG2 game! I've seen a couple of your posts about this walkthough spoiling your fun and you're depressing me! :)

But in all seriousness, I get a lot of enjoyment out of this site thanks (for the most part) to the two of you... (Now how's THAT for ass-kissing :) )

13. Taluntain

Media:
  14. Wingfoot Guest

hey T at least you make some prophit even if it is small. now i dont make a cent seeing as "our" web site is a free service to our customers.

and once again i say thanks for providing a great RPG site with loads of info and swell forums. this site ROCKS!

15. Reya Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I didn't really mean the money, I meant more on the helping people, fun, enjoyment side of things like is it worth it. I guess it is.
    Of course if you can make a profit it's a bonus ;)
    I should have phrased that question better, nevermind, thank you x

[This message has been edited by Reya (edited November 12, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.