1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trouble writing to CD

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Harbourboy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] I used to be able to easily write files to CD, but now it doesn't work any more. If I try and run the CD writing wizard, it claims that there is no writable CD in the drive, even though there is. I have tried several disks, including some that I have written to before and no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds like your burner's... well, burnt. What program are you using to burn CDs?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just using Windows Explorer. Nothing fancy, just backing up some files from my hard drive (mostly photos) but now it won't let me.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Windows issue then. Get some real burning program like Nero and it should work just fine. I've been using Nero for years, but you need to pay for it unless you got it bundled with your burner. But whatever program you got bundled should work better than just Windows itself.

There are also free burning programs, but as I've never used any I can't recommend anything.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I think Roxio (formerly Adaptec) usually gets bundled with CD burners. It's not bad, but Nero's better. In fact I think it's worth it paying for Nero because it's so good.

6. Harbourboy

I don't need anything "good". All I'm doing is copying normal files to a CD as a backup.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...even though Nero *is* better, it will actually *work* HB.

I have used nothing but Nero to make audio CD, back up files, create cover art, and to make an autorun, self installing CDROM. It also comes with a handy tool to foce drive speeds. I like to listen to CDs in my drive at 4x (silent), and rip CDs at 24 (my combo-drive's max speed). 'Drive Speed' makes it as simple as clicking a button.

I for one highly recomend Nero. :thumb: :rolling:

8. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sorry HB if I hijack your post but as is almost the same problem...

Well, I recorded some audio CDs but I fail to listen them in normal audio players; the record options are the same as always, I made about 4 cds and recorded at different speeds (x4, x8, x16 and x24) but same result.
    One thing I noticed is that when you see the written side you almost see the recorded area (darked than the non-recorded area) but in these cds is like nothing was written in it. BUT, if use my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2312 V1905 to listen the cd it works perfectly. I tested the cd in 4 different audio players and in another computer without success.
    I use Nero 6 Ultra Edition.
    Would it improve something if I use one of those cd cleaners?.
    Thanks.

9. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

First of all which OS do u have and which cd - burner?
    Does your cd - burner reads cds? And if yes then you are facing two possibilities.
    First is that your cd burner optical lead is starting to disintigrate. This means that its power output is not as good as it should be.
    Second possibility is that your cd may needs a firmaware upgrade.
    Try second solution and if that does not work then i think you are heading for a change of hardware.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.