1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Troy?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by The Kilted Crusader, May 20, 2004.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Did troy come out in Britain today? Has anyone seen it?

2. Algarion Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'm from Sweden and I saw last Saturday, so I guess that it has been launched in Britain also...

Don't have to much expectations of it though. I thought that the trailer were actually better than the movie. Brad Pitt does a remarkable bad effort as Akilles. He acts somehow like a stoned bay watch star.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Thats a sham, because I'm really looking forward to it. I'll probably still go see it though.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, its out in Australia for sure...and it was good. No thanks to Brad Pitt though. Is it just me, or did everyone think that Eric Bana was brilliant as Hector?

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I watched it last Friday and the positives are:

1. very good battles except from the duel of Hector and Achilles, which I believe that it was too much "dancing" at least for my taste.
    2. Good costumes.
    3. Nice acting by Brad Pitt and the guy who plays Hector.

The negatives are:

1. Many, far too many inaccuracies and changes. The worst was that the war lasted just 15 days.
    2. He failed to present the characters correctly, he twisted the characters of Agamemnon and Menelaus and he failed to show how tragic characters Hector and Achilles were. The only characters that he presented successfuly were Paris and Priamus.
    3. There were points were the script was ridiculous. For example when Hector kills Patroclus and realizes that he wasn't Achilles he says to Odysseus "Enough blood is spilled today, let's continue tomorrow", Odysseus agrees and the battle stops.
    4. Bad acting from the model, who plays Helen.

6. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Someone from Greece should know. ;)

Indeed, there are too much changes. They die in the wrong place, wrong time, wrong situation. Just don't bother and it'll be fine.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Troy came out in the UK ages ago

8. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

For entertainment value, it's decent enough, however, the story is so butchered that it's barely recognizable.

Being a fan of classical literature, I knew that Hollywood would butcher the story, but I didn't think that it would be butchered to the extent that it had been.

I agree with BOC's opinions.

IMO, the inaccuracies in Troy are worse than those that were in Gladiator.

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I saw it yesterday and indeed Eric Bana was brilliant! And so was Orlando. Pit was a bit dissapointing this time. But it was a nice movie!

10. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yes Eric Bana was amazing in it, and saved the movie. I quite liked the battle between Achilles and Hector.

They changed a whole load of stuff that just either made me cringe or get annoyed. The first one was the whole thing with Patroclus. Why the hell did they make him Achilles cousin!? And Briseis was not royalty and maybe not a Priestess of Apollo, though I'm not sure. She was a slave girl taken from a surrounding village that the Acheans attacked before hitting Troy.
    And lets just rewrite myth shall we!!! Agamemnon was murdered by his wife upon his return to Mycenie, not Briseis in Troy. And the Danaans were there for 10 years not a couple of weeks. Nestors role of Advisor was played down. If I can remember correctly, Agamemnon sends 3 men to convince Achilles to rejoin the war.
    That reminds me of another thing - Achilles tells Patroclus to fight the Trojans away from the ship if he wants and lets him lead the Myrmadons into battle... God, the list just goes on....

If I've made any mistakes (except spellings - its been a while) please correct me) ;)

I hate Hollywood sometimes.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Very good movie - brilliant battles anyhow.

However, the bookstores near the movie theatre haven't learnt the art of cashing in. Neither of them had The Iliad or The Odessey :mad:

12. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Maybe a bit offtopic but the part with the Minotaur in the Labyrinth did this happen before or after Troy?

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think that was King Minos in Crete...and it happened after Troy. At least I'm pretty sure it happened after Troy. Maybe before even. Hell, it could've been during Troy, but rest assured - Brad Pitt was not there!

14. BOC

@SleepleSS

The adventures of Theseus (labyrinth included)took place before the war of Troy.

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

BOC, I don't think the model who played Helen was cast for her acting ;)

16. BOC

@Erebus

That's true but it can't be an excuse for her acting or for those who have chosen her. There are real actresses, who are more beautiful and can play this role with success (Monica Belucci and Liv Tyler for example).

17. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Did any of you see the television version on A&E called "Helen of Troy?" I thought it was pretty good. The guy that played Achilles was much tougher and cooler than Braddie boy! Actually, the guy that played Achilles could play Minsc in a BG live action film!!! Take a look:

Helen of Troy

Here's a pic of the guy that played Achilles, he's midway down the page, on the right, with a picture of Helen on the left:

Achilles and the Helen of Troy TV movie

18. nior Gems: 24/31

I have to agree with this. Kruger couldn't act, she may be beautiful but not beautiful enough to launch a thousand ships.

1. Eric Bana did a good job as Hector.
    2. I also like Peter O'Toole and Brain Cox's acting as Priam and Agamemnon, respectively.
    3. Sean Bean had a great character, but sadly he has a lousy script.
    4. Butt Pitt, I mean Brad, was more like there to make the girls swoon. Although, I have to admit that some of his moves were really cool.
    5. If Troy wasn't derived from Iliad or any other literature, it is a great movie. But as a movie based on Homer's work, it's nothing Homeric.

19. BOC

I saw it one week before the release of "Troy" and the only think that I liked was the actress who played helen. She was very good and actually she was just as I imagined Helen the first time I read Iliad. As for the guy who played Achilles...
    Achilles a skinhead? Well since I saw that I wouldn't be surprised if they make him a mohican in the next movie about Troy :mad:

20. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Basically, I was wholeheartedly disappointed in this film. There was nothing Homeric about it at all and certainly nothing epic either. One of the worst mistakes IMO was - as it seemd to me at least - making the film about Achilles more than anything whereas The Iliad itself was moreso about the whole war and most everybody involved. Certainly someone better-suited to the role of Achilles could have been found for crying out loud.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.