1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Turkey blocks access to YouTube

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Montresor, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Turkey has blocked access to YouTube due to videos that insult Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey.

Following the same logic, how many countries could allow access to YouTube? Or to BoM?

Link to CNN

Same article, on FoxNews

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Chestbeating patriotism and nationalism is stupid.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Oh fer crying out loud... I understand Turkey being proud of Ataturk, but to actually ban an entire site because someone posted an anti-Ataturk video on it? That's more than a little overblown imo.

"Over the past week, Turkish media publicized what some called a "virtual war" between Greeks and Turks on YouTube, with people from both sides posting videos to belittle and berate the other.

The video prompting the ban allegedly said Ataturk and the Turkish people were homosexuals, news reports said."

Nice. And I thought we and the Turkish don't get along well.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Its just like banning flag burning.

In Belfast, flag burning is very common, and not just our own flags.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Ironically, in Denmark it is illegal to burn the flags of other nations. The only national flag we may burn is the Dannebrog.

6. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

That is in fact quite stupid.

Here in Brazil we had an even more absurd judicial decision against YouTube. Some judge decided to block access to youtube because it was unable to avoid people from posting the video of Daniela Cicarelli and her boyfriend having sex on a beach in Spain. Considering the two were “doing it” in a public place, I can’t understand their complain about invasion of privacy.

The decision didn’t last long (a couple of days) but it opened a dangerous precedent, nevertheless.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

so in turkey your not allowed to make fun of a dead guy becuase he is a national hero? so sad...

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Turkey continues to show it's incompetance in it's attempts to become part of the EU. If you want to join a club, you have to play by the club's rules. Now you're the only European country that bans this type of media access. Not the smartest of moves... again.

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

There is still a struggle between the secularists and the religious, but its the same here and I am sure in many other EU countries also.

Its the nationalists in any country that are very dangerous.

10. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

[​IMG] Firstly I should admit that I haven't seen the video but from what I read the video shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm sure creator of that immature video is laughing at us now. For his stupid video 70 million people can not access to youtube. Our court which decided to block our access punished us instead of trying to remove that video!

Also very stupid as we can see in this example.

Edit: Finally that joke is over. The video is removed and we can enter Youtube.

[ March 09, 2007, 22:14: Message edited by: Dengo ]

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm beginning to see why Turkey shouldn't be allowed in EU after all. If they are so eager to ban access to Internet, I'm sure they also control traditional medias with a very tight leash. In that kind of an enviroment, I can't see how freedom of expression/opinion could exist and how they could be eligible to join.

Somehow, however, this kind of news are becoming rather common. Even here, in Finland, the government is taking careful steps towards the censorship of Internet in attempt to make it a "clean" and "nice" media among others. It's worrying, I think. Not that the blocks can't be bypassed, but as a sign of intolerance and 1500AD fear.

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Romania was welcomed into the EU and its horrific treatment of the Roma is not exactly unknown.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

AFAIK Hungary, the Czech republic, and other countries in E/SE Europe have a significant problem with the Roma minority. Mind you, I do think some of the problem lies with the minority itself.

14. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What horrific treatment? Be more specific pls .

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Atatürk means a lot to us. He is a real hero, and a great man. He is not only a brave and skilled soldier, or a very influencing and charismatic leader...he united us together in our worst times after First World War, and we regained our freedom under his leadership....but, he was not finished after that, after the years following the battles, he gradually brought many modern revolutions to our country and made us the modern, 'nearly European' country we are today. He valued democrasy, education, and modernism. If I now live freely, get quality education, have acces to internet, etc. it is all thanks to his great deeds!

Insulting him directly and so casually is something which will really hurt and anger us, as I am sure you will agree. Please note that making fun of some one is not bad as long as you know your line, say, Atatürk was not a grim man without humour, there are lots of entertaining stories about him as well...but announcing that he and the majority of my people are homosexual, this is a direct and ugly insult, IMHO.

I agree, however, that the banning was not the best solution for this unfourtunate situation. Nevertheless, we do have a nasty tendency for 'banning' if something displeases us. Sorry for that. At least, it seems to work..for now.

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Which is exactly what was intended. Don't give the perpetrators the pleasure of getting a reaction - which after all is exactly their goal. Ignore it for the childish and petty behaviour it actually is.

17. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

...which goes completely against the values your modern founder established. Do you value freedom and democracy or not? If you truly want to join the EU, then get ready to have your feelings hurt and learn to deal with it in a mature way.

18. Dengo Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Unfortunately no. Modern Turkey's founder started modernizing the country with banning. :grin: But I find some of his anti-democratic decisions acceptable in 1920s' Turkey. Our problem is those who are still living in 1920s while the rest of the world is living in 2007.

19. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Symptoms of a greater problem.

Turkish authorities do their share to make life for non-Muslims perilious:

Christian Converts of Turkey

Whyever would that be.

So. Turkey, the much invoked "bridge" between the West and Islam. But which end of that bridge are they working on the hardest. Doesnt appear to be the one leading to Europe, the West.

Take a care, Turkey, lest you strain a muscle in your reach for the EU. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.