1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.K. Ministers were told of need for Gulf war ‘excuse’

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Drip by drip more info about that war of choice in Iraq comes out: Recent article in the The Sunday Times, titled Ministers were told of need for Gulf war ‘excuse’
    The most remarkable aspect was that Blair was willing to suport the U.S., even though it was utterly clear to Blair and his staff that the U.S. leadership failed to do adequate post-war planning.
    The U.S. troop levels insufficient? Ain't that 'wildly off the mark'? :rolleyes:

2. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Yeah, but what I want to know is what Blair's reasoning for doing this was. We already know he used machiavellian - to say the least - tactics in the build-up to war, but his thinking can only really still be guessed at.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't care, I didn't even bother reading that boring rubbish.

4. Dranalis DeAealth

I've overdosed on these kinds of things as well, tbh. As I said, we already know the general outline of what went on. It's no great revelation by this point.

[ June 17, 2005, 04:05: Message edited by: Dranalis DeAealth ]

5. TheMageTeclis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

As other members have said, nothing to do with the government regarding the Iraq war now comes as a shock, labour's support stems simply from the fact that they will allways be better than the Tories.

6. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yay, another interesting post from our good friend Sarevok• . You know, the rest of us don't comment when we haven't got anything to say, but not him! Oh, no.

The sad thing is that the media never considers all the information as a whole. Taken thus, it's beyond-reasonable-doubt that the Iraq war was nothing to do with WMD or Terrorisim, it was to do with one man wanting to finish his dad's job. Remember, Bush wanted Iraq invaded pre 9/11.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The real revelation is that a lot of people could care less. When the average person stops caring about what happens in a democratic-republic, the end result could be tyranny. Democracy: use it, or loose it.

[ June 19, 2005, 17:22: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

8. Dranalis DeAealth

I care; I just don't see what I'm expected to say about this piece of information, other than that which has already been said. We know that Blair's handling of Iraq was abominable - but that statement is, by now, platitudinous. This merely adds extra evidence to an already well-proven point.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sorry - I was not referring to anyone on this board. I was speaking generally. But more to your point, and again generally, it would be better if people were engaged on the issues, rather than the personalities, or the images of those in power. It's about substance and not useless or politically self-serving slogans.

10. TheMageTeclis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The average person already has stopped caring about what happens in a democracy

11. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Thus, point proven.

12. Ragusa

Media:

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

To tell you the truth, the thing I find most disturbing here isn't necessarily that the US had pre-9/11 plans against Iraq, or that they massaged the data to get other countries aboard the coalition; it's how little attention they seemed to pay to the aftermath. In my mind, that says alot about the competance of this administration.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, the think-tank thought they'd be "throwing roses at our feet". With that kind of attitude - i.e., the seemingly impossibility of protracted insurgency - lead them to believe that they could take their sweet time in getting things setup. Of course, I have a hard time even conceiving that there wasn't a Plan B (known as a contingency scenario in military-speak) if the "roses at our feet" thinking didn't pan out as planned.

15. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Probably having a "Plan B" would have gotten you branded as defeatist. Remember that Gen. Shinseki said they'd need 200K troops, and where did that get him?

16. Ragusa

Media:
    How again was that excellent article in The Atlantic Online? Blind Into Baghdad
    'Historic failure' is truly putting it mild, 'incompetent, blundering armchair militarists' or simply 'morons' would be closer to what I think.

Just some of their bright ideas:And that's just the cream on the neocon sh*t sandwich.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.