1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UFO: Aftermath

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Sir Belisarius, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Has anyone played this game? Is it like the first 2 X-Com games at all? I've always thought the original two X-Com games should be remade into an updated graphics version but remain turn-based with global financial and battle management.

How is this game? I never heard anything about it when it came out...Which kinda tells me something already. Any reviews or insight would be great!

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

graphics are ok, storyline is ok.. but repeating through missions again and again that aren't overly exciting is just... boring, BORING!

aaargh *dies* zzzz

I'm a huge fan of X-Com games, but this one.. even though I try to say "Whee, this is just like old times!" it isn't. Game sucks. :(

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah well. At the point they decided you can't go in buildings was where my interest dropped completely.

I mean, sure I understand they got limited funds and time and all. But when buildings were a critical part of the games back when colour vga was a big thing (well not exactly but you get my point) then how the heck can they justify the lack of "realistic" buildings in this one. Nothing, and I mean nothing has come close to beating the feeling in X-COM: Ufo Defense, when you threw an explosive pack inside a city building and killed the civilians inside just to make sure no alien would come and shoot you in the back. :evil:

How could they deprive me of that pleasure now in this age of technology?

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, I checked it out awhile back. You definately do not want to play it if you're expecting UFO:Defense.

It's got the "rpg" elements of the old games still in there, but the interface is a bar indicating levels 1-5 (poor through outstanding). After that, it gets really hairy. You research technology and items, and you can manufacture things. You don't build your bases to your fitting, you capture pre-set and scripted bases in an irregular grid across the world. You can make them "military, science, engineering", and later, a fourth option comes into play. There's no global economy or money. You fly everywhere in a helicopter, and you

The enemy AI is fairly abysmal; they just run right after you, on a beeline, as soon as you're spotted. Toward the end of the game, they all use rocket lauchers and just start flipping them at you like candy. Plus the difficultly is arbitary, with the AI's getting "perfect" stats as the game progresses to simulate increased difficulty. Your people can't be grouped into formations, so the micromanagement will make your bowels churn on a constant basis. If you're getting it out of the bargin bin, and you're prepared to play a "Xcom-like" game, then you make take a look at it. It is not Xcom, and it doesn't even come close. But there's a few neat things to it.

The story isn't really amazing or anything. It's like Independance Day meets Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri. The planet gets wiped out, and there's a strange fungus growing everywhere. No red-hot-plasma-blasting the motherbrain on Mars, or multi-level urban kombat settings.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, all of you have confirmed my suspicions. I recently reloaded X-Com: UFO, and X-Com 2: Terror From the Deep. And, depsite the poor graphics, these are still fantastic games!!! I think they are as good or better than anything out right now!!

I'm going to continue to hold for the some of the fan creations being made now. They seem to be the most faithful X-Com games I've seen! Here's one:
    UFO: Alien Invasion

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.