1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

UN Human Rights Committee oversteps its authority

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by chevalier, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Carcaroth - you did what I should have done instead of venting off :nolike: :doh: :bang: ... good work :)

toughluck, [snip] you have have that blinkered look on the whole affair of abortion as murder.
    Your position does serious injustice to the woman in the actual situation - for you their fate is a non-issue.

But that cannot concern you because you're a man and are unlikely to ever end up in such a situation and can't be bothered with that anyway: The law is with you - you have 'morals', 10 commandments and papal encyclicas on your side.
    [snip]

[ If you've still got a beef with toughluck, take it to pm, not here. ] - Beren

[ December 22, 2004, 22:53: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well if that is the case, then on that point I respectfully concede. That's cool ;) .

The decision to abort a "child-foetus-potential life-cell activity" is made, in my opinion, before the woman even knows if she's pregnant or not. There are women who would carry a baby brought about by an accident, or rape, or whatever, and women who wound't. I don't believe for one second that hormones are actually involved at that point. Just choice. In the case of a rape scenario, the decision to abort has been made before the rape occured.

On the issue of PAS, no. The nine month prison sentence is simply the biological part, dealing with a rape is the one that she harbors for a lifetime. I don't doubt that some women get PAS, I know that it does not extend to all women.

Some ladies get postpartum depression after giving birth (they hate themselves/the baby), I even accidently discovered during the writing of this that there's post adoption depression...

One last point I'd like to make (time running short, gotta go to work....), you mention that giving the woman a choice to abort in an emotional/hormonal time is unadvisable. Well at least, for better or for worse, at least she'll be making that decision for herself.

3. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I agree with you that the decision is a difficult one for the woman.

However, even standing away from the dogmatic position of what is life, when does it begin, and so on. One thing is true, however - that "heap of cells" will develop into a full human being, and regardless of anything, you cannot deny there is life potential in it. You won't deny that.
    I still think that negative effects from an abortion outweigh positive ones, if any are present. My point is: create opportunities for alternatives, promote them. Abortion is never an easy way out, and should be avoided at all costs. If there are alternatives, it is a shame really that a woman would undergo that abortion and face all the ill effects associated with abortion. PAS is one thing, infertility, as well as numerous other effects on physical health - generally associated with system shock and hormone levels.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I agree with Toughluck, Life begins at conception, but I would argue for abortion in cases of Rape, Incest or where the Life of the mother is threatenned. There would need to be councilling available to mothers for Post Partum Depression and Post Adoption Depression, but that is something that CAN be worked out. This way, many couples that want children can have them, and those who don't think they can care for them have a choice that doesn't involve the wasteful killing of an unborn child.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.