1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unbelievable Eminent Domain Case in LA

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Blackthorne TA, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just read this in today's LA Times. Apparently the city of Los Angeles seized three acres of property from a commercial furniture manufacturer under eminent domain, saying that they needed the property to build a new animal shelter. They used my money (bond money issued for use in animal services) to fight the owner in court and pay for the property.

Now they say that after all this, and spending a million dollars on design work, they want to sell the property to another furniture designer (who apparently has made several thousand dollars in political contributions) and build the animal shelter at another nearby site that the city owns.

Apparently these idiots had already talked publicly about this preference a year before the eminent domain case was settled.

Analysis indicates that they won't be getting enough money for the sale of the property to cover all the bond money they spent already acquiring it.

Something bad better happen to these idiots; if this nonsense stands up in court, I'm going to be pissed.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The stupidity of some people never stops surprising me. But like you, BTA, I hope they get what they deserve.

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

What exactly is an animal shelter? And what purpose does it serve that it is so "urgent"? For sakes!

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    ****ing idiots. It's not just misnamagement, those idiots should be prosecuted. Sounds like an Orwell scenario. Ambitious idiots in power have got their new toy and they're now breaking their legs playing with it.

Eminent domain, what the ****? I thought feudalism was over. Things like that are what the American Indepence War was against. What's next? All property is a ****ing feud held from the state?

Some lawyers shouldn't breed...

Something in me says it's not just about property. It's not just property they can take away like that. There's also freedom. Freedom of this, freedom of that. Freedom in general.

Am I having a dark prophetic moment inspired by alcohol or are "democratic" republics starting to look like good old monarchies, claiming to have a claim on all your property and your person?

Modern democracies were supposed to be nation-scale self-governments, the necessary way the community should rule itself. Now we're starting to have states that exist for their own sake.

Eminent domain. Bleh.

It's not like I live there but weird things happen here as well.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Svyatoslav - An animal shelter is where stray animals can be taken and either adopted by the public or eventually put to sleep. Also, animals lost by their owners can be taken there.

So, the "urgency" is mainly public health issues since the current shelters are overburdened so there are more stray/feral animals defecating and urinating around the city than can be handled with the current facilities.

I have no idea why they felt they needed to seize someone's place of business for such a thing instead of using property already owned by the city...

6. chevalier

Media:
    ...And if they sell it someone in the same business, losing money in the process, it's freaking corruption if I've ever seen any.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Right, the worst part to me is that they seized someone's property seemingly needlessly, costing them the court battle as well as an established, apparently prospering business. Unbelievable.

8. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Ok, thanks. This is outraging. I always thought modern democracies are a joke anyway. Yeah, you got the big right to "vote" who gets to power, but once they are there, they steal your money the same way; create stupid laws that deprive you from your individual and material freedom regardless; use their people-given political position - and money - to brainwash people and in their power struggles; spy on you and etc and etc. What a joke!

9. chevalier

Media:
    What's even worse is that eminent domain takeovers aren't limited to taking the property for the state. They can take from one private owner and give to another.

Democracy is a paradise for those who know how to juggle the vote and the whole system. You can vote, but you can't decide who you can vote between, so... Frankly, I'm losing more and more faith in democracy and I'm long past seeing democracy as a positive word, value in itself.

Certain things just don't change.

10. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

I think Democracy is nothing more than a stupid and empty word used by people who want to shroud their actions, stance, political position - etc - in a veil of legitimacy, but which has lost all it's meaning and concept. You call someone else's actions, ideological positions - or himself - "undemocratic", and that should put an end to any further debate. It is almost like being a pagan in the Middle Ages.
    Like when that dumb**** Condoleezza Rice - who believes she can speak Russian, and knows Russian society and Culture as if it was her own; after all she has some kind of "major" in it. :rolleyes: but doesn't know anymore of Russia than Bush himself - calls Russia "undemocratic". I am always curious what she means by that.
    When you have nothing else to say, or can't debate further, you call someone undemocratic, hoping that should do. Hopefully, I see each day more and more people realising the fallacy which Democracy is.

11. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    ...And compared to what other form of modern government?

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

There's a Michael Leunig (well known Australian cartoonist) quote that goes along the lines of: 'In Australia, we believe firmly in representative democracy - that is, anything that vaguely represents democracy'. (No idea if it actually goes much like that at all - my sister told it to me and no googling has picked it up).

Anyway - I just thought this might be relevant to the disillusioned here - just apply it to the rest of the world as well :)

*agrees with everyone above*

13. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

In itself...

Aikanaro,

That is a fun quote. Very clever.

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That's just plain BS. I can understand the need for an "eminent domain" provision in legislation - there may be times when it needs to be enacted for a legitimate and pressing need - but there should always be an overwhelming burden to prove the absolute necessity of doing so. This just reeks, and I hope those responsible are held to account for it (both in elections and in court for gross abuse of power). And people wonder why I don't trust anyone with power if they can't be held accountable...

Like Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst form of government... except for all the other ones". There's no denying that there are faults and flaws in democracy, but what would you prefer? More to the point, how would that be better, and how could you ensure that? No matter what "system" you adopt (I include anarchy in that; sorry Aik), there will always be people who will abuse it, try to bend it or subvert it, or otherwise pervert it to meet their personal ends or desires. I won't argue for a second that I'm appalled by the limitations on my so-called "free electoral choice", because in the end, I'm not choosing what I want, but what I would prefer from the extremely limited options I am being given.

I suppose the point of this mini-rant is that if you think something sucks, or that it needs changing, then get out there and do something about it. For the most part, the system stumbles along; I just don't think it serves the interests of "the people" (and to be frank, I wonder if it ever did).

If people can stomach his wordiness, Jürgen Habermas' theories and commentaries on participatory democratic systems are fairly interesting, IMO. Mind you, he (and I) would argue that you can never have proper democracy unless you have an active and politically interested population where anyone can voice an opinion and have it taken into consideration (though not necessarily accepted). That many people in power see their authority as some sort of personal divine right or entitlement, rather than as a tremendous responsibility to others, is a large part of the problem.

16. chevalier

Media:
    They could still use dire necessity rather than come up with eminent domain. It's not like the state has a better kind of property of your land. It's dire need that makes it acceptable for your lands to be seized by the community. Unless we're talking about frigging feudalism.

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Eh, most states do not allow use of eminent domain for the benefit of another company (or private interest). California doesn't either; it seems that the case mentioned above was a matter of corrupt/incompetent politicians. Hopefully the courts will fulfill their role and slap them down.

So it's not that eminent domain is necessarily bad, is just that some politicians are crooked. And when talking about crooked politicians, I can think of way more outrageous cases :)

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Without going into the anarchism thing - a bit of direct democracy certainly wouldn't go astray. That would be better than a pure representative one where you only get a say in issues every four years or so. Think Sweden for a modern example of this (I'm not sure how effective it is, however, at least in principle it sounds better than what other 'democratic' countries have).

I don't really think there's any need for eminent domain except in the direst of circumstances - and at the moment I can't even think of something that might be that important as to warrent it.

19. chevalier

Media:
    @Aikanaro: I wonder, do you have a problem with the idea of some superior property (eminent domain and all) of the state over all lands or not? I think expropriation out of dire necessity would be enough... That's what eminent domain looks like.

[ January 18, 2006, 12:01: Message edited by: chevalier ]

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking: If you're asking whether the state should own everything and that, because it's all ultimately owned by the state anyway they're able to sieze it back through eminent domain - then no. Hell no. I don't even want a state - let alone have them own everything.

OTOH - if the state siezing a property is going to save the lives of numerous other people - it's really hard to object to that ... and no, by that I don't mean siezing land to build hospitals or whatever. And so you can see my trouble in thinking up any situation dire enough that could warrent the state throwing its power around in this. What circumstances are required so that siezing property will directly be saving lives?

If the state wants land - they should get it the way everyone else does.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.