1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unclosable questionnaires, what do you do with them?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Feb 7, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The more frequent unclosable pop-ups are a pain, but they become closable after some time. However, there are also questionnaires and those don't let you close the window other than by filling in all the fields.

I have a rule. I understand that people may want some information very much, but it's no life-saving purpose, it's commercial marketing info. I never fill in the form. I close the window one way or another. If I can't find the process in taskman (CTRL+ALT+DEL), I will shut the whole computer down rather than answer a single question in a form that refuses to be closed.

Right now, I have one on my desktop, spawned by a communicator program I'm using. It only wants my mobile phone operator name, my year of birth, gender and city. All in combo lists, no typing. But making the window unclosable crossed the line and I'm shutting the computer down. No answers from me.

"Required fields" written in red under a questionnaire I neither needed nor wanted to take. Insolent impertinent orcsons.

What do you do with those? Do you tell them what they want to know or do you do like I do?

2. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pretty much the same as you. Can't stand them either. I hate being forced to fill out and give out my personal information.

3. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I refuse to use any program or enter any website that I know will spam with popups. My old computer had so much crap in it that I recently had to format it for the first time (had never done it before). Unfortunatly, the formating didnt go that well and it doesent work now :(

Ehm, anyway, if there was no means of closing a popup I guess there is no other way out than to reboot.

4. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I use Opera. I must ask a question: What are pop-ups?
    :D

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If I ever get something like that I fill in bogus information, calling myself "Iva Boner" or something, saying I live in Why-kick-a-moo-cow or fu*k-a-papa (actually are towns in New Zealand called that but not spelt that way). However I've never encountered a window that doesn't allow me to close them... yet.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    *Knocking on wood* I have yet to ever get a pop-up like that.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If the only way out is to reboot I reboot.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @toughluck: Got that one from tlen. I don't use Opera to avoid popups, as there are some legitimate uses for window.open. I don't like target=_blank's because I'm used to left-clicking what I want in the same window and right-clicking (open in new window) what I want in a new window.

9. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I use firefox and can't stand popups - and I don't have to stand them, thanks to firefox. :p

If some program opens popups, that's goodbye to that program and a freeware alternatieve in. If there's no freeware alternative, I will not use it. :p

(and I can almost always close those popups, seeing that I have 2000 and can just kill the process.)

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Like many others: "What popups?" :hmm:

If you are still getting them due of some programs, that means you love to have them and you deserve what is coming. Or so the popup makers think, according of a certain article. ;)

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The only popups I see is on this board, as I have Firefox and have enabled use of popups here, as it is everyone's duty to Tal, so I don't have to suffer popups anymore.

12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Using firefox, so i get no popups either

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Yahoo Toolbar has a pop-up blocker too.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ever hear of (ALT + F4). That closes the current window/program. It works for me when I get pop-ups that try and hide the "X" button. :rolling:

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

What kind of sites do you frequent Chev? Popups that wont close. :lol:
    I had a problem with some pr0n sites which would open 2 popups if I closed one. A few Alt-F4's in quick succection stymed that nonsence.
    Thats why I love to use Opera when visiting suspect sites, 1 Ctrl-Q and everything is shut down.

16. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Heh, that doesn't always work. If you know what Lotsalag is... Not posting a link, because it says that it's put a virus on your computer. It's bull, (i know because it happens on Mac too and then the alert goes away) but some people would get hysterical.. Point is, sometimes that happens too much for alt-f4 to work. And you get, well, Lots-A-Lag. Very funny.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.