1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Underdark and a paladin(spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by elecron93078, Mar 1, 2004.

1. elecron93078 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm planning on playing a paladin for my next go through BG2 and have been thinking about how to handle the underdark. My question is how would a paladin handle the drow and the underdark? Would he lower himself to disguising himself as a drow and doing work for them or would he do anything to prevent working for the drow even if the means justify the end.

Thank you

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A genuine Paladin would kill them all. Of course, a genuine Paladin would himself almost certainly get killed in the bargain but I don't imagine he'd worry too much about that if he believed he had justice on his side.

3. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, this game leaves you few options. IIRC, it may be impossible to leave the Underdark without dealing with the Drow, and I don't think you can enter Ust Natha without being disguised. Of course, what you do upon entry is up to you.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You can't get in without being disguised, and if your disguise is blown prior to obtaining the real dragon eggs, I think it's game over as well. (Not that you get attacked by hoards of drow, they just say you're dead and the hand thing appears on the screen.) However, once you get the real eggs, I think you could go on an ass-kicking spree killing every last drow in the city if you so desired...

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

IIRC, Adalon can be killed at any time and then the seal is broken and just walk through the gates in the Kua-Tao city ? .. might be wrong though..

6. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

well I was in the underdark, and got to the part where I needed to get the blood of a noble race, so I went to the kua-tao city, and got to the end, and found the drow party gathering the exit...so I bribed them, and they let me out, and I went to the surface with no problems, it was just like as if I had done everything, and got the dragon's eggs back. You may be able to do that before being disguised as a drow by just killing the party that guards the exit, but they may unlock it whenever you bribe them.

7. david w Gems: 19/31

I read somewhere that if you have a very high Charisma (which your paladin is certainly going to have), you can convince the Drow gate guards to let you through, thereby avoiding the entire Underdark area.

Of course, you'll miss out on a lot of decent weapons if you miss out the Underdark but it *is* possible.

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Aldeth, you're wrong. Once, when I was an Undead Hunter(shame on me), I entered Ust Natha and just outright slayed them all, beginning with Soluafein. Worked just fine, thank you.

9. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Funny, I always wondered if you could just slaughter everyone and get out of the underdark, just never felt like going back and doing it myself.

10. Aces Gems: 19/31

My Undead Hunter killed them all after doing all the little side quests.

Not one escaped my rightious wrath! :flaming:

11. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I had three Cacofiends on my side and two Pit Fiends just for Kicks!
    The drow kept on coming, not to mention a few Illithids two Giths and a few slaves. While the carnage was going on, I was busy in the Female Fighter's Society, looting, wenching and making a mess of everything.

Well, that is until we meet the large group on Handmaiden and they had a few tricks up their sleeves, managed to kill the pit fiends rather easily but, there is always more of them in hell anyway...

12. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What is the point of visiting Ust Natha and NOT slashing every living thing in the place? Rape the lot!

13. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

Er - Paladins shouldn't rape. However, they should slay the entire evil lot. :p

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    First, leaving Adalon helpless against the drow is at best deserting a good cause and at worst an evil act. At any rate, a paladin should fall for it. Needless to say, killing Adalon - the guardian of Good from the drow - is an evil act.

Second, slaughtering a whole city of drow doesn't necessarily have to do any much good. It will not eliminate all the evil in the world. Not like the drow are easily reformable, but even the drow should not be killed just because they're drow in the same manner as no one should be deprived of life just because of evil alignment. Of course, better let the drow die than, for example, surface elves or humans. But not just because they're evil scum, for goodness' sake.

Taking out a dangerous enemy is more like it. For example entering the temple of Lloth and saying "Good morning, dear ladies. Now please disown your evil goddess and vow fealty to Lathander/Ilmater/Helm". Intercepting an evil act or protesting against one is also an option.

15. Sojourner Gems: 8/31

That's assuming having spoken to Adalon, of course.

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The idea of killing them all (in Ust Natha, or even Athkatla, etc), while it seems fun, always seemed problematic to me from a RP perspective. Sure, the game lets you do it, but...
    - I always liked to think of all of the cities in BG as being much larger than the maps and areas you can explore. I mean, Ust Natha is supposed to be a major drow city, and there are what, 100 drow there you can kill??? Same with Athkatla; I think the ambient city sounds go a long way in evoking a highly populated and active city, with far more people than represented by the sprites on screen, sort of the manhattan of the sword coast.
    - Thinking about it this way helps me justify to myself the role of a player party of 4 to 6 characters; taking on an entire city is something for armies, and if a player party were to do it, I'd like to think they'd be crushed by an army far too numerous to be handled by the Infinity Engine! The strengths of the small party, as opposed to the army, are probably more in line with those of a small platoon of special forces: their small number makes them inconspicuous and stealthy, while their training and expertise allows them to identify critical targets, take them out, and get out themselves before drawing too much attention to themselves. I know the characters are supposed to be powerful, especially at high levels, but then again, the sword coast (and certainly the underdark) are populated by hosts of high level characters...
    So while taking out all the drow seems like fun, it doesn't seem RPed to me. I still like the tension of getting out of Ust Natha in one peice without being discovered, and think it's more fun to imagine it populated by, say, 50,000 drow than by the 100 or so sprites on screen. (And if there were 50,000 drow in Ust Natha, your character wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of taking out the city, no matter how powerful...)

17. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

*frowns at the disbeliever*
    My power could iradicate anyone.

As a paladin though, your best bet is to follow Lilacor's advice
    MURDER DEATH KILL!!!

18. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I just hang out by the temple after I do all the quests and get the dragon eggs. When all the Drow start getting vicious, well, lets just say there is a population drop to zero.(All buildings, no survivors)

Just makes sense. After the eggs are recovered, a good party feels good about removing all of the 'evil drow' in the city. Same for the evil party, but they see it as a chance to kill, maim and murder while still getting help from Aldon.

19. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Truthfully, even though they are all evil, I'm not convinced a paladin would have it in him to decimate a city. Because whether or not they deserve to die, you're taking many many lives. I go around and kill every Drow in my way, and all the Drow torchering people or keeping slaves. Fact remains not all Drow are evil, and my paladins are always smart enough to know this.

20. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I hate to tell all of you this, but those of you who are blubbering about the paladin doesn't think they are ALL evil, your kidding yourselves, you need to read more forgotten realms books, and look at the way the paladins think of themselves, they think they are the center of goodness, and they see all others who are not paladins or at least of neutral alignment, as needing to be cleansed from this world.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.