1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Unused weapons in RPG's

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enthasius, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I was just reading a post on what race people would like to see in the BG, IWD, NWN and such.

Well, on the risk of sounding repetitive, I reckon that races have been neglected, but weapons could make such a difference.

Think of the odd things you could weild. Two handed axes have been heavily neglected, ive only seen it in IWD and NWN. Nodachi, an extremly long katana type weapon, basically a Japanese Two handed sword, has been overlooked. And how could we miss out on such extravagent weapons such as the Kau-sin-kei, a multi sectioned flail, or the Tanto, a traditional Japanese Dagger, or maybe even a pair of Nunchaku, perhaps the most famous martial arts weapon.

I'd like to see suggestions, opinions, and even flames about how too many weapons may spoil the game.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

They couldn't add all the weapons in the world, so a whole lot had to be left out. But how about javelins or other throwing spears?

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    No Nunchaku, since almost every player would hit themselves unconcious on first try.

But I´m sooo for those Dai-Katanas and Nodachi, maybe we should include Kamayaris as well

4. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm not much into Japenese settings, so those weapons are not missing if you ask me. Of course, if the Forgotten Realms were to start heavy trade exchange with its Western neighbor, than those weapons would become much more common (but that obviously only applies to FR setting).

Weapons I would like to see however are two-handed versions of most common existing weapons. It'd be cool to see a huge barbarian wielding this huge two-handed warhammer fighting with his cleric friend, nearly as big as the former, wielding a big two-handed mace. Of course, they would have slower attack reactions because of the size of their weapons, but boy would they kick butts when they make contact. You could even implement a 10 feet knockback on a natural 20!!

That's just my little insight.

5. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What about multiple weapons? For example: wield a normal weapon in hand, but have other weapons attatched to armour and boots, maybe daggers on the toe-caps. That way you would be able to coriagraph (sp) combos that would cause different damage depending on the magnificants of the combo!!

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Knee spikes! Brass knuckes.
    Also, all these groovy Japanese weapons are good and all, but they would be out of place in most games. I think that katana's and wakizashi's are largely out of place. They should be amazinglt rare but almost every vendo seems to be selling them

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well, ok, oriental weapons need to become rare or else they wouldnt be really special (You know evrybody fighting with long swords and maces and then you suddenly hops in with a Dai-Katana, which nobody has ever seen before).

But still you have to find at least one decent *insert neat rare weapon* in a big city

8. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

So many weapons have been left out. Where are the sabres, hooked swords, tridents, bardiches, nets, whips, grapels, bolos, Roman broadswords, garottes, just to name a few. The weapons on the armor thing is a good idea, too.

9. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

SPIKED ARMOR!!!!!!!

10. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm for spiked armor. Would love to see spiked helmets like in ultima 6 and go head butting things like this :bang:

11. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Hmm, spiked armor. Then you could be a true Thibbledorf Pwent style Battle rager.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

whip

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] These weapons are cool - yet no-one I know has heard of them - let's see if yu lot do:

Spheric - A wire, rope, string with a ball on the end - needs a lotof agility, accuracy and does quit good damage

Talows - Attached to the wrist, they have retractable blades. Some can shoot the blades out but are still attached to the main bit.

Thairns - a stick with a net on the end - the net has barbs or other nasty surprises that take effect when striking opponents

14. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am imagining me trapped in a dungeon and 8people standing before me holding a strange device.

8people: And do you no what this is?
    Me: (hopefully) no...
    8people: It's a Spheric!
    (thwack thwack)
    Me: Aaaaaaaggghhhh!
    8people: (holding up something else) how about this?
    Me: um, no
    (thwack)
    8people: It's a Talows!
    Me: Aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhh
    Me: (passes out)
    8people: (maniacal laugh)

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Please... don't give me ideas :evil:

16. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've seen most of those weapons in Diablo II, and I've seen the ones I haven't there in the various Ultima games. I believe the oddest enchanted weapon I've ever seen was from U7.

Farmer goes to a local wizard. Says his gardening hoe keeps breaking. Wants it imbued with a spell to make it perfect for farming. You know, cleaving buried rocks and thick grass like butter, whatever.

Soldier goes to the same wizard. Going to fight in a battle. Wants his sword to have the typical enchantment to make it capable of kicking lots of ass. He pays a LOT, mind you, so this won't be your average +2 enchantment. This is going to be one kick-ass weapon.

The wizard is absent-minded/losing it/has a demented sense of humour, and does his job... sort of...

Soldier is killed in battle the next day, because his sword wouldn't even scratch the armour of his opponents, and actually bounced off of his skin! People nearby swear, though, that when he dropped the thing, it was blade-down, and when it hit the ground... it kept going. Like the dirt and rocks were water. To this day there's a five inch long by two inch wide hole in the ground that goes down about 40 feet.

Farmer brings the hoe home, and it sucks. It doesn't break anymore, mind you, but it doesn't work as well as it did before. Here's the weird thing. He is accosted in the field by a bandit (it was a big field, and a hot day. No one around.) and he does the only thing he could. He hit the guy with the hoe. And nearly cut the poor schmuck in half.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, a very powerful weapon, only seen in Ultima VII:
    The Hoe of Destruction.

(U7 was made by origin games, so there's also an inside joke where you can see a ship from Wing Commander at the corner of the field, and the farmer thinks that the alien he accidentally killed wants him to murder a man named Rathy. Really. I swear it.)

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

karate-sticks... they kick ass... not very big asses though... :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.