1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Upgrade: SLi or A Fancy New GPU?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yo.

I currently have an nVidia 8800GT that I bought on Ebay, oh, almost 2 years ago. Works great, love it - I've been very happy with it. But now my PC is starting to creek a bit with age. Some time in the next year, I'm going to try to upgrade the CPU to a quad-core, with new Mobo and 4gb of DDR3 Ram. I'm amazed I can do all that for under $500. God bless the tech race.

Anyhoo - I'm sure that around this time I'll want to beef up my graphics while I'm at it. But the 8800GT is, without doubt, the best GPU I've ever had, and all things considered is still a trooper. And I always feel wasteful upgrading before I absolutely have to. Here's my question:

Since my current mobo is (and my future purchase will be) SLi capable, I could pick up a second 8800GT for less than $80 right now (1/3 of the price I paid on Ebay 2 years ago) for what I would assume to be a substantial boost in my GPU power. I've never done SLi before, so I don't know how having 2 average GPUs stacks up against 1 superior, late model GPU (say if, for example, the 2 GPU's combined RAM is equal or greater to a single newer GPU, etc.). But the cost savings certainly makes me wonder. And at that point I will probably upgrade to Windows 7 as well, so I will finally be DX10 friendly, and I don't know if the bells and whistles of DX10 are worth it (if they can't shine on lowly 8800GT's, that is). All in all I'm not sure what the best route is, and as I said, my understanding of the mechanics of SLi is limited.

Suggestions? TIA

2. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I seem to remember hearing a lot of issues with SLI/Crossfire in that they seem to be quite limited in their support. If a piece of software uses it then you may gain a speed boost however if they don't then at best it doesn't do anything, at worst having it enabled can actually prevent the software from detecting either card. In addition I read somewhere that it was either/or with some games supporting SLI but not Crossfire and vice versa.
    Also, it uses up a second slot which could be used for something else.

I have never tried it my self however so this is all rumours and hearsay.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    When you keep the old card, you can use it for physics in games. So even if you get a better new one you can still assign the old card to physics.

Can your power supply unit (PSU) handle two heavy cards?

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I personally don't like dual GPU setup unless it is on one card like the Nvidia 295 or ATi 5790. I would go with the best bang for the buck and right now for Nvidia it is between their 250 GT and 260. The 250 is an old 9800 GTX+ GPU on a smaller die and requires only 1 6 pin power connector. The 260 requires 2 6 pins and some models may require a 6 and 8 pin power connector. Of the two the 260 is definitely superior in every category; however, if you don't mind going with ATi I would recommend the 5770. It is a bit slower than the 260 on most games but it is DX11 ready and well it is very fast for card that has a 128bit interface even though it has 1GB in memory. You can get a 5770 base model for about $150 or so.

If you plan to stick with Nvidia and don't mind spending a bit more I would go with the 260. I'm waiting for the 300 series to be released before I purchase the parts for my next PC.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks for the tip, Munchkin. I think I'm going to wait a bit longer (summer, maybe) and upgrade the whole system. I can get a 275 for $300 now, I'm sure it'll be much more affordable when the 300's come out. This way I can do a complete upgrade for around $700 that should easily last me the next 2-3 years.

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

300 series from nvidia are just rebrands again its the 400 thats going to be the new fermi line.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The 300 for desktops aren't released yet. What I have seen of the 300 is the mobile solutions. For instance their is no 360GTX it is just a 360GTS, which isn't the same as or as fast as a 260GTX. They did some modifications to the older cards but they have not released their true top and middle tier cards yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.