1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Upgrading from Win98SE to Win2k: a couple questions

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Okay, I'm totally fed up of Win98, so I thought of upgrading that old Pentium III to Windows 2000. I would just install XP, but something tells me that it would be maddeningly slow (this IS a 500 Mhz, after all). There are a few things I want to be completly sure about before upgrading. I'm not THAT much of a computer crack (yet), so maybe you fellas can help me out.

If I insert a boot disk in my floppy drive to bypass Windows and boot in DOS, and get the CDROM to work via a config.sys and an autoexec.bat containing respectively OAK CD-ROM and MSCDEX, can I start the installation of Win2k in DOS, or do I have to be in graphic mode?

Or, if I am totally wrong, what would be the correct procedure?

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I ran XP on my old PIII 450 Mhz PC, I have 320 mb RAM and did allright. As for installing W2K, I have never done it, so I can't help.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The easy way: boot from CD-ROM. Follow instructions. Install drivers and clean up your desk. Done.

The kinky way: boot from Win98 boot-disk and manually start Win2k install process. The same as above, but think about upgrading your comp while waiting. Done.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Wordplay is absolutely right.

I've gotten w2k to run on a P2 266mhz with 64mb ram. I do recommend at least 128mb ram though.

... and reformatting the drive before you begin w2k installation.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Win2K, the corporate version of Win98, is a pretty old OS. A lot of companies still run it
    (like mine). Personally, I work on it everyday and I despise it. I'd sell my PC and buy a Mac before I would use Win2k at home. But, hey, to each his own. XP will run on a PIII 500Mhz as long as there is plenty of RAM, at least 256MB, but even more would help if you are running games.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Unless you install SP2, WinXP would probably fare alright on your system, IF you've got the RAM. Anything less than 256megs is out of the question. With 512meg you'll probably be quite comfortable with SP1. Now with SP2 requirements seem to jump up, so I've no idea if a P3 will handle that.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Well, I did as you said, Wirhe, and everything works like a charm. There's still a couple of updates that I need to do, but otherwise everything has pretty much been finalized.

I was just about to install XP, but a quick RAM check indicated that I have just 96 Mb, so I guess XP would have been oh so painfully slow. 2k is a bit slower than 98, TBT, but I think it's worth it. Time will tell, I guess.

8. Taza

Actually, with over 64mb memory, with a firewall and antivirus, w2k is FASTER than 98SE.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Hmm, well, it might just be that I was tired... I've rebooted and you're right, Taza, 2k is slightly faster.

But now another issue. Every five minutes or so, I get some annoying popup windows telling me that my Windows registry is corrupted, requires immediate attention or empty threats like that. I did a complete anti-spyware scan, there is nothing. The anti-virus scan has found nothing, either. I'm kind of scratching my head in confusion. Is those kind of annoying popups typical of 2k, or is it some persistant intruder I've been unable to find and remove?

10. Taza

I've never had such an intruder - and if you had it online (even for a few minutes) without a firewall, the chances that you have a virus on your comp is pretty high.

Try http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan .

11. Disciple of The Watch

[​IMG] Ha! Three worms, two trojans and 19 spyware... all that in TEN minutes online downloading updates.

Hmm, the firewall would be a good idea indeed. Can you point me to some place where I could download one, and maybe give me a hand in configuring it?

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Check this out: http://www.firewallguide.com/
    It's got some fairly standard and obvious hints, but it's also got some useful information, and lots of reviews and suggestions about firewall software. You might want to browse it and read some of these.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I used Win2k for years and still think it's a very viable option when compared to WinXP. According of certain tests, it's also slightly (~2-3%) faster than WinXP, lacking some unnecessary clutter. Also slightly more compatible with old software.

Download all the updates before reformat/setup. Use ZoneAlarm (Zonelabs.com) for firewall, since it's free and works reliably (more reliably than the commercial version, in fact).

14. Disciple of The Watch

Okay, I'll give that a try. Thanks, Wirhe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.