1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

US TV chief beheads wife at station

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Nataraja, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    A muslim man in New York decapitates his wife when she files for divorce at the station they founded to promote unity between the growing English speaking muslim demographic in North America and Americans and Canadians. This was the very stereotype he was trying to overcome, as such honour killings are common in a lot of muslim countries. So sad :(

Im not sure whether it was religiously motivated or not, but it just seems uncanny that the estranged husband would react in this way.

Enraged US TV chief beheads wife at station

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Shhh! we aren't supposed to talk about this as it could upset the muslims. At least that is the only rationale I can come up with as to why this hasn't been a front page story and the lead in for the national news. About the only spot I've seen this is on the dreaded right wing blogs and on talk radio.

3. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Oh Im sure the rightwingers will be all over this. Bet O'Reilly will do a thing on it.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...he did it here in the US, so the dumb f*** will get what's coming to him.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The guy chose a politically charged method to kill his wife. IMO, this is no less heinous or tragic than the husband who chooses to shoot his wife or beat her to death.

6. oddbean

oddbean Fear Me

Not to hijack your thread but beheading seems to be the way to dispatch someone this new year:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jJB9tBzWTj6aPe-DcqicYnhrDx5gD95T779O0

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne..._father_says_he_decapitated_young_son/203671/

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    No, sorry again, TGS (you are often wrong about the "liberal" media). I read this story on a link on MSNBC's front page yesterday. And MSNBC IS a fairly liberal site. In fact, they often point out human rights violations in Muslim countries, especailly in regards to women's rights, something the conservative sites you inhabit don't like to talk much about.

As far as the plain vanilla national news is concerned, in case you had not noticed the economy is front-and-center, and on everyone's minds right now. As it has been getting worse the last few weeks. Obama has been grabbing all the headlines because he is starting to put his economic programs in place.

The thing that everyone knows about those on the radical right, who constantly harp on the naional news, is that the best strategy is to ignore the ranting, since there is no way to win. If this story had been the "big national news headline," you would be complaining that "the media" was trying to cover-up, or downplay Obama's economic programs by not making him the national headlines. We know how it works.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I hope this bastard gets the death penalty. God knows he deserves it. My first wife cheated on me, humiliated me both publicly and privately, and stole my children from me. She ignores both the letter and the spirit of our divorce agreement and has spit on everything we ever built together and everything I ever did for her, not to mention the sacrifices my family made for her because her family was too <bad word>ing useless and pathetic to do anything to help her out. God knows I wanted to hurt her.

But I didn't.

I exercised some <bad word>ing self control. We expect that self control from our citizens in western democracies, and I don't give a flying <bad word> if some idiot's culture doesn't expect it from him. I'd pull the switch on this guy in a heartbeat.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LMAO! Ah, that is just too good. I understand what you mean, but the way you put it is just so contradictory :)

10. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

BTA, it would be a controlled pull! With witnesses and everything. :p :evil:

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Oddly, my first thought on this was to question whether the killing was truely connected to religion and society or whether the guy had actually put that behind him and just wanted to off his leaving wife. It'd hardly be the first time divorce papers led to murder before said divorce was legalized here in the US.

12. countduckula Banned

Media:
    Maybe he should claim 'battered husband syndrome', that she abused him both emotionally, sexually, and physically. Hey, if it worked for Mary Winkler, it should work for him. Right?

---------- Added 14 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds later... ----------

By the way, while the guy has been charged, he sure as hell hasn't been *convicted*. Is there any hard evidence that he killed her?

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

He won't do anything, but he sure as heck will say quite a lot ;)

(yeah I know what you meant)

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    martaug and Kitrax like this.
  15. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/16/buffalo.beheading/index.html

It appears that they had prior issues & things just escalated from there. He appears to be guilty.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, I'm mostly offended at the sterotype portrayed in the video Snook posted ("jihadist" nothing - this was "commenting" on muslims in general). But part of me has to admit to having a bit of a chuckle.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Believe it or not, "rage boy" is an actual person and how he is depicted in the video is kind of what he looks like. Rage boy is believed to be a professional islamic protestor who shows up front and center in a lot of videos.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If this guy tries to use his culture or religion as a defense or (God forbid) an excuse, I hope they feed him his nuts.

That said, though, wife murder (does that have a name, like spousicide or something?) is common enough in all cultures. We just had a case up here a couple of years ago where a WASP fellow killed his wife and dumped her body. So unless he tries to invoke religion and/or culture, I think we shouldn't chalk it up to the influence of either of those factors.

19. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    We'll find out when the case goes to trial, but I think it's probably pretty tough to decapitate someone without leaving a little evidence. Forensics is getting to be a real pain in the ass for the raging psychopath on the go nowadays. If you use a gun, they can match the bullet to it even if you use the screwdriver trick to alter the rifling of the barrel, and they can even check for gunpowder residue on your hand. If you use a knife, hammer, axe, or garrote, they can check under your fingernails for the victim's blood. If you cut the brake line, they can check for signs of tampering. If you burn down the house, they can check for accelerants. Sigh....

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    There must be 50 ways to leave your lover....

Yes, I'm dating myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.