1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USA sponsors... Russian parties?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Shaman, Jul 5, 2005.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

This was a new one for me, at least. Turns out part of the budget currently going through the US senate includes aid for the development of democracy in the ex-USSR, and some $85 mil are going to Russia. That I can understand, but apparently 5 of these millions are assigned to the "Program for developing Russian parties" or some such (the source I was reading was not in English, so the name will likely be wrong).
    I'm a bit skeptic about this whole deal. First of all, it smells a bit of trying to create a lobby... or to put it not too subtly, bribe someone. But there's also the complications this'd likely cause in the relations between those two countries, and on the course of democracy in Russia. I mean, after all it's a bit fishy when another country finances parties in your own, however strangely they put it. And when that country has been in less-than-friendly relations with yours for a long-ish historical period, I suppose there could be some resentment - actually, I'd go for "a lot".
    http://english.pravda.ru/world/20/91/368/15743_democracy.html
    Zhirinovski and the communists couldn't ask for a better advertisement, imo.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    While there still is an element of creating equal chances - it is simply about taking influence in foreign politics, hidden behind 'benevolent' NGOs and not-quite-GOs. The U.S. simply try to play another colour coded revolution game in Russia. But I doubt Putin will allow that.

I *know* the U.S. would just :love: love :love: France to fund a pro-French party in the U.S., or how about Mexico to fund a Hispanic party in the U.S. ... :rolleyes: ... However, the U.S. funding a pro-U.S. party in Russia, now that is legitimate foregn policy ... reciprocity deficit anyone?

A country has to find it's own way, and foreign meddling usually only creates a backlash.

How to discredit the Iranian democratic opposition? Give them U.S. funding.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Actually considering the dumb asses that run the show here in Canada, a Puppet party for King George wouldn't look too bad right now...

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm, you'd prefer him in charge? Wow, things must be really bad.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Well, a bunch of corrupt, amoral imbeciles currently run the country and can't unite enough opposition support to change that...

I'd rather have a Warmonger who can understand economics and morality than the jackasses we're stuck with...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.