1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Viacom sues Google and YouTube for $1 billion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
  2. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That's ridiculous. To begin with the chances of them losing a billion dollars because of youtube is crap.
    Also, youtube's own terms of service, which you have to agree to to post, lays all legal ramifications of posting materials that are copywritten squarely on the shoulders of the persons that post said material. Even the music industry realized that as long as they did not try to hide who the users were that the terms of service were ironclad and pursued the individuals sharing the content instead.

3. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What's worse is that other companies who had similar problems with YouTube were about to settle out of count and find a way to create licensing deals that ended up helping both companies make a profit!

I guess the people behind Comedy Central have no sense of humor...

4. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

would seem so. and apparently when they split from cbs in '05 cbs kept the lion's share of the intelligent execs.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This matter WILL be settled out of court. It's not so much that Vicomm has lost $1 billion - in reality it's no where near that amount. However, the material posted is copyrighted, and what Viacomm wants is a cut of the advertising dollars for the advertisements that pop up whenever someone clicks on a Viacomm video clip. That what the other companies are asking for too. I think it is only fair - the material is copyrighted, and it is legally required to pay some type fo royalty fee for using someone else's product.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Viacom should hire people to scuor YouTube for such clips and log complaints about them citing copyright violations if they are that worried about it...

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Pfft - there's no holding back progress. If YouTube was sued out of existence or if all copyrighted material was removed from there something else would have to rise in its place to fill the demand. Seems like Viacom are either delusional or cashing in as much as possible.

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I hope Youtube win, so I can continue watching shows that I DON'T have access to.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hm, I've noticed that there are not many Daily Show clips on Youtube, so I guess Viacom is already working on it (although, mind you, you can find them at the Comedy Central site).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.