1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Vice City PC: where is the sky?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Soul Forever Seeking, Jul 19, 2003.

1. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] I recently bought Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and I'm having a few problems. If you remember, I was complaining about GTA III for a long time because of this one graphical error where things like leaves, fire, and the blue glow for missions don't get displayed unless I'm facing a certain direction.

That problem also applies to Vice City, but I can put up with that. What I can't put up with is that the sky keeps going away.

It's hard to describe, but the sky graphics vanish, and anything that moves over that area is endlessly repeated. Well, that, and the gauges disapear. The radar remains, but the blips vanish, the money goes away, everything disapears except the clock.

I can't play the game until this is fixed. Does anyone know of a way to fix it? I'm going to try a patch. (Any help with the invisible fire problem would also be nice, but probably not gonna happen.)

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't have any of those problems. What kind of system are you running ?

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah.

I'm gonna say it's some kind of funky driver issue.

4. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Driver issue, or you don't have a good enough graphics card. Try to install the newest drivers for your card.

5. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31

Right, sorry. It's Windows XP, Pentium IV, 224MB RAM, and the video card is an S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR, 32 MB.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I have an S3 Pro Savage KM133 32mb and it can be a real b*tch to get to work without glitches. Try updating the drivers, also is 32mb good enough for Vice City? I thought it had pretty high graphics requirements.

Oh and you may have difficulty getting the drivers, IIRC S3 got bought out so there aren't any new drivers or an official site with them on. Try a site like driver guide.

[ July 22, 2003, 20:13: Message edited by: Lazy Bonzo ]

7. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31

Just posting this because some people might want to know, I upgraded my computer, got an Nvidia GeForce 4, and now both GTAIII and Vice City run perfectly. Awesome.

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I have the same bloody configuration. Damn.
    Which graphics card works bettert with the present games being released: GeForce series or Via or any other option? I gotta change this geezer.

9. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, it depends what you want to pay. I think for the price, NVIDIA Geforce Ti 4200($120), and ATi Radeon 9600 Pro($140) are the best. For the high end segment, I would say ATI Radeon 9800 non-pro($250) is the best deal. Oh, I'm talking about the 128MB x8 AGP versions of all the cards. Hopefully you have an AGP slot or you'll have to get something a lot worse like a NVIDIA 5200 FX.

10. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

There is patch saying to fix graphic problems, have you tried it?
    I have a nvidia mx200 64mb, and I had some problems with the graphics and the patch fixed them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.