1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Video games used to teach literature?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ofelix, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
  2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's funny they've got Virgil and Homer confused.

FPSs are the wrong genre to pick as an example I'm afraid, but I think that *some* video games can be used for learning. I remember starting Ultima Underworld when I was 12 and did not know any English at all. The game was responsible for teaching me the language (bilingual dictionaries are a wonderful thing). But Halo? Don't think so.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What about Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? :p That was pretty cool imo.

Besides, Master Chief is a Spartan isn't he? ;) :D

4. Ofelix

Media:
    Wasn't Sparta an enemy of Athen anyway :p ?

@Ziad; yeah Zelda is the game that really made me learn English.

'' Dogongo Dislikes smoke ''

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    If they want video games to teach something then why don't they make a game specifically designed for student of literature.

...I wonder what Dante's Inferno, the game would be like?

6. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Seems like the author of the story needs to go back to school. Did you see his response when it was pointed out?

I think for videogame education of literature and history CRPGs and action/adventure games would be the way to go.

Ofelix, depends on what point in history you're refering to. Sometimes they were enemies, other times they were allies.

It'd probably be like one big protest by ignorant christian groups trying to keep it off the shelves(I didn't say all, just the ignorant ones... so... most")

7. Ofelix

Media:
    @Shadow Assassin; yes of course, but I was talking about the peloponnesian war, where Athen (with the Delian league) and Sparta (with the Peloponnesian league) fought each other.

8. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Well, we constantly recycle mechanisms and structures and all and so do the story writers behind games. Then again, we analyse Ulysses, not Bridget Jones's Diary, if you get my drift. ;) So, Halo...I don't think so. Besides, I don't think games are that interesting story wise. They have too many other things going on to focus on the story. They are quite limited...can't really do far-reaching formal innovations and tricky imagery in a game...not even PS:T can. It's nice as a little addition, or a link with new media I guess.

Now as for English, I owe a lot of my vocabulary to the BG saga and the computer in general can be credited for a lot of my knowledge of English.

9. Ofelix

Media:
    I was surprised they made a comparison between the Odyssey's hero with Halo's. I mean, yeah they both are a lone fighting horde of enemy, but that's it.

Slightly off topic; Might be a good idea to create a Thread on « How did you learn english as a second language » Might get some funny answers :p

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Pokemon-cards and games, of course! :D

At least for me it was so...

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@Uytuun
    Feh; just wait. :rolleyes:

I could see computer games teaching history - take The Oregon Trail - or geography - Carmen Sandiego - and definitely basic skills - anyone remember Speak & Spell?

...but literature? Not so much, as the 'game' would either have to remove much interactivity in order to remain faithful to the existing plot, or would allow the player to diverge from the intended plot, thus negating the POINT. :bad:

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I completed an 8-page research paper on video games in the use of education. The majority of the information I found was toward history, math, social science, etc… Nothing really to do with reading; though most of the place mentions that if enough text were used in the game it would enhance a child reading comprehension. I did find it interesting that a high school in Texas tried an education video game program; a 1st year student who failed started the program his second year and by the time he graduated he was in honor classes. The program does work, but the school had many rules in place to keep the program within the school curriculum. I believe video game to help students learn should only used for student who have a hard time learning subjects like history or math.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Don't laugh. I credit Pokemon with much of my son's advanced reading skills, and the speed with which he grokked basic arithmetic, and the fact that he's showing the first glimmers of strategic thinking.

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    @jaded empath

I read Bridget Jones's Diary (IIRC there are 2 and I read both and I ejoyed them) and I really can't imagine they would find it interesting enough...it's just...unambiguous and easy. Not in postmodern times, my friend. ;)

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You know, I remember that I found a lot of SAT words familiar from games. Fantasy General, Baldur's Gate, etc, for example helped a surprising bit. I still remember the phrase "It's a dubious honor" from one of the campaign briefings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.