1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Villain protagonist games.

Discussion in 'Playground' started by pplr, Jul 23, 2011.

1. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I knew there were some but I didn't realize that there are some reasonably well known games where the protagonist is an out and out villain.

Not a grudging hero who would like to stay in bed and not a good anti-hero who isn't a team player but protects the innocent but some out and out villains (even if you don't realize it at first).

Many people would think of main characters in the Grand Theft Auto series, but there are some other ones such as both (arguably) Kain from the Legacy of Kain and Kratos from the god of war series.

Each of these typically involve the main character killing either innocent or good people and not out of necessity such as if a good character forces a fight on a well intentioned but misunderstood protagonist but because the protagonist can-even finds it amusing or profitable.

I don't mean some games like the Dragon Age or the NWN2 series where you choose if you have a good or evil character or even the Witcher where what to do is confusing/uncertain.

But where bad things are done and not out of any sense of necessity.

I lean towards games where you either are or can choose to be a hero so I don't really see how many of these are out there. But that is my preference. Do you think there are also more villain-protoganist games out there than people realize?

What would you add to the list?

Are they your cup of tea-why or why not?

Do you think any of the main characters I called a villains are actually misunderstood heros?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been having a whale of a time with Evil Genius lately, it's pretty fun and the name is a pretty big clue :D

There's also Dungeon Keeper, Dungeons, a couple of flash games in similar veins.

I quite like them. They give a different look and most of them have a very strong sense of humour through them.

I do not go out to play games to fit a heroic ideal, I like a streak of diversity in my games and like to design ones which allow for breadth of option for each play. Though I know some people prefer a more closed in approach to a game to have the clearest view on what it is and the 'best' route through it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.