1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Voice An Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    In no particular order -

I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers went from under-rated to over-rated in a very short time span. Those guys aren't actually that young - they are all well into their 40s now, and a lot of thier best music came out around 1990, and that's when they actually were relatively unknown and under-rated. I think the difference is that no one considers the Red Hot Chili Peppers to be among the greatest bands of their generation, which is why I'm hesitant to place the "most over-rated" label on them. The Rolling Stones and Nirvana were considered among the best of their era, which - unless I'm really missing something with the Red Hot Chili Peppers - doesn't apply. Then again, I hardly listen to music at all any more, so maybe their popularity has soared in recent years.

I do have to agree with the JFK comment. While he was wildly popular, his accompliments while in office are rather short - but that may very well be a function of only being president for about 2.5 years before being assassinated.

I also feel the need to compliment Rawgrim on a great post - his list of greivances is at least much more comprehensive than other peoples. I agree with most of them except one of them:

Of the asian women I have seen, they all fall into one of two categories with me: either completely unattractive, or among the hottest women I've ever seen. I've never seen a somewhat attractive asian woman.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    +1 for the Thread.

After seeing an African at the local mall here, with a Vitiligo affliction, i realized that black people are white too...deep down...so.

The US and EU should leave the Middle east as soon as possible. They won't and will never fit the Western-dogma. The day the natural resources run dry, no western power will ever feel the need to liberate the people of XYZ again.

People are stupid. To the point that there is no remedy anymore.

Nuclear Power is not clean power...nor save.

Facebook and Co, suck balls. Those social places gather asocial people.

Zionists are people too!

My parents are sux ;) They didn't listen to me, now my older bro, ripped them off.

PS. Asian chicks do rule! They are the new gold. The Asian-wave has yet to start properly.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

This.
    I commend chinese for taking relatively drastic measures to prevent population boom that would inevitably happen. Some parts of Africa are just huge human breeding grounds, while we toss in humanitary food for them to breed more.
    Humanitary abuse in general. I so bloody hate all those whiners you see on TV, standing smoking in front of their ruined home, while their family huddles on the ground behind him, just lying there. The guy is obviously complaining not over what happened to him, but over the insufficient help received, like it's something expected and guaranteed. How about getting the **** off your ass and actually doing something to fix your home/house instead of just mouthing off to the camera.

Overall, people take themselves WAY too seriously. All those apocalyptic scenarios ala Terminator type in relation to Singularity (Ray Kurzweil google if unfamiliar) and the dread and horror of it. Whyever?
    I doubt very much that the potential superintelligence will be anything like the foreign agency entity, enforcing their imperatives through tanks and bombs, while we get a chance to be tragic heroes charging off into the sunset-filled AI horizon with naugh but a club in our hands yet again. I daresay we're doing far more damage to the world and fellow people easily enough by ourselves. Is it really such a disaster if it's decided that half the human population die off so the rest can live more quality lives instead of squabbling over scraps in the slums among the unwashed throngs?
    But obviously, we can't but feel singularly unique snowflakes, the best thing that ever happened to our planet, a downright blessing of God/Gods, wrapped up in our nice selfconfirming cocoon of bubble lives. Nevermind all else.

Oh, Mesmero. Your signature <3

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Despite their inexplicable success, the tv shows 'Germany's Next Topmodel', by Heidi Klum, and Dieter Bohlen's American Idol equivalent (I have no idea which is a spin-off of which) 'Deutschland sucht den Superstar' are grievous insults to the intelligence of any sentient life form.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    They are actually separate shows in the US. There's American Idol and America's Top Model. The former is a singing competition, the latter a um... modeling competition.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You have to pass an exam before breeding more of you

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You people moan too much.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you not also suffer from this horrible people condition, or are you something other than a person? :confused:

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's due to all the sex.

10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Agree, and add Aerosmith to the list.

Aesthetics being what they are, I don't mind that people love and even adore Aerosmith and the Stones, but I do find it objectionable when some love them so much that they can't accept that we might not all feel the same way.

Halle Berry is a borderline poor actress, but the hotness question is another matter entirely. I suspect that her stature in Hollywood is due almost entirely to her looks. Many beautiful women get their butts kissed to some degree because they're hot, but not many are given Oscars. So she's either actually a great actress or she's transcendently hot. :heh:

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

That's not an unpopular opinion, my signature is generally well liked :p I thought about changing it to "Dyslexic people unite!" after this.

My opinion formed a while ago when I was actively looking at adds from people who were trying to find band mates, and every single one listed the RHCP as an influence. Maybe it's also a geographical thing, I think the RHCP are bigger here than Nirvana ever was.

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hmmm. To chime in on some of this.

I don't give a rat's ass about Halle Berry's acting ability, that's not what I am looking at. And, certainly, she's a bit older than the typical starlet, but I think she is still mighty hot and has a rocking body (similar to Demi Moore, but she never really did it for me).

On the other hand, I think Ms. Jolie is too scrawny and weird looking these days to be hot. That's not to say that she might not rock your world, but I don't salivate over her like many others do.

RHCP maxed out 10 years ago. Anthony Kiedes has a very limited vocal range and their instrumentation is meh. Sure, Flea can play a damned fine bass, but so what?

Aerosmith maxed out before most of you were born. :p

All reality TV sucks, and is very far from reality. They shouldn't call it reality TV, they should just bite the bullet and call it low budget TV.

Football hooligans are certainly lame, but so are any people who willingly do physical or property damage based on sports (as anyone knows who reads about the Dodger fans who put a Giants fan in a coma).

(Then again, football -- both kinds IMO -- is fairly boring and lame as well. Now that's a REALLY unpopular opinion.)

T2 - 100% agree, sex on a beach ain't all that great. That sand is amazingly pernicious stuff.

I don't understand the current tattoo craze at all and think 99% of them are stupid looking. The 1% that are cool don't come close to making up for that. Tramp stamps are separate and distinct in that they are 100% ridiculous, even when they highlight an otherwise spectacular ass.

Nose rings look silly. Plus, what happens if you sneeze really hard or need to blow your nose? If you're not careful, do you puncture something?

While I imagine some of those nether region piercings do add sensitivity or whatever else the excuse is, the sheer pain involved would leave me comatose, so no, just no.

Nothing looks dumber than a white guy with a shaved head trying to be black.

Politicians completely suck (oh, wait, that's probably not even close to an unpopular opinion, my bad).

I think Lady Gaga has a weird but interesting voice. Of all that crappy dance/pop music they play, I can actually listen to her without immediately turning off the station. Same is not true for: Kesha, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, any of the American Idol "winners" or whatever other spawn of Satan comes from that show, and anyone else who needs the computing power of a small company to bring their crap voice into tune.

I think Obama has problems and is not living up to his promise. I don't quite regret voting for him (because that would have put Sarah Palin one good heart attack from running the country), but it's depressing how little different he is than anyone else. Guess I bought into the hype a bit.

I don't think our illegal immigrants are all that much of a problem in large part. It's a nice talking point for "tough" politicians but no one actually wants to deal with the "problem" for real.

Victor Orban rocks!!! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Taluntain and Chandos the Red like this.
  13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    DMC - Amazing. I completely agree with almost every single point, even Obama. The only exception was Jolie, who I think is attractive, can act, from what little I have seen, and seems like a nice person. Too bad her dad is such a dick head.

She does, and despite all the "fashion" nonsense, she has real talent, IMHO.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    She's very talented, I think. A little too derivative of Madonna, but - overall, she's the real deal. I'm a fan.

I definitely agree on Obama, too. He hasn't quite lived up to his promise, I'd agree. But then he's nowhere near the disaster conservatives said he would be (or still say). All things considered, he's been very good - but not at all great.

DMC, I don't know if there's a single item on your list that I would consider unpopular. They're all reasonable, non-offensive and pretty well down the middle.

In other words, no god damn fun at all.

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well this one is unpopular with me. But it's not so much that they're illegal, but that they're poor and California doesn't need any more poor when we've got 12% of the US population and something like 30% of the welfare cases. And now friggen Jerry Brown is using this BS per capita tax nonsense to try to convince me that I'm not paying that much in taxes and should extend the tax increases. Well, *%!@ you Jerry, I know how much I'm paying in taxes and it's a damn sight larger that your BS 5% per capita tax rate that's watered down by the large number of poor who aren't paying taxes.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I agree, I don't regret my vote for Obama either, DR. I think his biggest mistake is marginalizing Howard Dean, one of the few Democrats with some real backbone in him.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You aren't implying that any white guy who shaves his head is trying to be black, right? I know a lot of guys who shave their head, and I wouldn't classify any of them as trying to be black. Now, if you meant that white guys who shave their head AND are trying to be black, or white guys who shave their head in an effort to ACT black, then I agree.

Now that point I find a bit surprising. From my experience, how big of a problem illegal immigrants are can usually be traced back to the area of the country in which you live. Being from Maryland, Hispanics make up a relatively small percentage of our population, and considering that most of them are probably legal, I'd say we don't have a problem with it.

OTOH, if you live in California, I'd expect many there to consider it a huge problem. I don't know if the ratio of legals to illegals is any higher there, but you'd think there would be a heck of a lot more of them overall due to the much larger Hispanic population in California (especially southern California).

18. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Religion causes more problems than it solves, which is suprising considering it's a giant pile of horseshit.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, my opinion on the illegal immigrants is based on the issue that they do work that no one else is willing to do at the price point, so if the problem is "solved" then someone has to get paid significantly more for the work in question - which, IMO, balances out whatever drain they may put on the system.

Remember this - if you look at what they make, they aren't paying income taxes if they are legal, they generally don't own real estate, so they aren't paying property taxes, they can't pull from social security, so the fact that they don't pay into it is a wash. We're left with two issues -- use of services and what do they pay. Sure, they use some services. Their kids go to school and they use hospitals and such. Many of their kids are citizens, and even the ones who aren't can probably benefit the economy by getting a good or even decent education. Perhaps they can become citizens and perhaps they can't, but it's better than having them not go to school.

They pay sales tax on what they buy, so that's OK too.

I just don't see it as that MAJOR of an issue. But that's just me.

On the shaved head thing, there was an implied "and". It's the combo that's ridiculous.

I would have thought my dissing of all things football (American or soccer) would have garnered more flames. I find both to be boring.

No one even commented on my Orban post. Jeez, I'm disappointed.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.