1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Voice An Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    BTA - from your own article:

Other than that bit, it didn't separate out between legal and illegal immigrants, so it wasn't particularly useful for the topic.

Meanwhile, as this is Whatnots (and we are moving dangerously close to the Alleys), I'll add this (just so I can have something to disagree with CtR about other than Angelina Jolie -- who I think can act just fine, I just think she's not all that hot).

I never liked the Grateful Dead and never liked the Beatles. At all. (For real, not doing this just to stir up trouble).

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's because I don't know what an Orban is.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 34 seconds later... ----------

Anyone who has played Baldur's Gat or Baldur's Gate II over and over and over again, even though they know EXACTLY what is going to happen next, is just a bit sad, and needs to get out more.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Romances in RPGs are ****. We need to get rid of them.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Thus the percentage of illegal immigrant households using at least one welfare program is 21% greater than the legal immigrants in California.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For these message boards, this is perhaps one of the most flame worthy comments made, as it applies to a major chunk of the forum goers. As someone who has played Baldur's Gate and it's sequel more times than I can recall, let me express my thoughts to HB in as eloquent a fashion as I know how. To you, I say !#$%^& ^*#%^#$% #@$@^$%^ #$%^$ % #$% ^&*($#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing the spam filter will catch most of that. Okay, I'm not really mad, but that was still fun! :p :D

When you consider that Baldur's Gate has been out, what, since 1998, there's plenty of time to replay this sucker repeatedly, and still get out every once in a while, get married, have 3 boys, focus on a carreer, blah, blah, blah.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    BTA - Well, yeah, but it doesn't exactly tell you how much, now does it? Using a program can mean many things, and carry different price tags.

Anyway, Harbs, if you read any of the various woe-is-me Hungary posts in the Alleys, you'd know that Victor Orban is the leader of Hungary. How good of a guy he is, what he stands for/against in the context of whether it's good or bad, whether he was improperly photoshopped, are all subject to a lengthy (and really boring) debate.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's OK, since I don't think there should be any sacred cows either that should be immune, since I guess that is the idea of this thread. With that in mind:

I never really thought much of Elvis. :p

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All I'm saying is that we need less poor in California, not more, and illegal immigrants largely (77% of the ones with children at least) add to the poor.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't stand it when moderators who are quick to tell people to knock it off throw gasoline onto a flame war. :D:p:D

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Who is the dummy that's handing out welfare money to illegal immigrants? If we are truly giving this benefit to illegals, it seems like that's a problem that is entirely in our power to remedy.

"Oh, you have no proof that you're here legally? Okay, that's actually a requirement to qualify for the welfare service you're applying for, so I won't be able to provide the funds under the circumstances."

Am I oversimplifying here?

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Is that supposed to be an unpopular opinion? Are you saying most visitors like moderators to throw gas on a flame war even though they're quick to tell people to knock it off? :)

Yes, because their children are citizens if they were born here.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think the handicapped spots in a parking lot should be those furthest away from the store entrance - they don't have to walk anyway!

13. Marceror

Media:
    But the children aren't the ones applying for welfare; it's the parents. So I repeat, who's the dummy who is handing out free money to illegal aliens?

The implication here is that all you have to do become an "honorary" citizen is cross teh border and pop out a puppy. And if so, I'd say some policy changes are in order, since being one of the poorest states AND a giver of free money to anyone who sneaks past our borders and gives birth, just seems like a less than sound plan.

And since my wife is originally from Mexico, and I happen to know a number of illegal immigrants personally, I do not say this without an understanding that it would hurt a lot of good, and otherwise decent people. But just because we have a nice shiny ship, doesn't mean that it's a good idea to overload it to the point that it sinks. Sinking is good for nobody... except the hungry marine life, I suppose.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Actually people with heart conditions, crutches, bone degeneration and other invisible illnesses are qualified to park in handicapped spots :p

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It was done very tongue in cheek 8, and it was meant to be at least somewhat amusing. Although that doesn't always come through in text - on both accounts.

16. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yes. Very yes. My plan by the end of the decade is to make it the whole way through once - still a feat I've yet to achieve.

Religion is a waste of space.

People who can't/don't contribute their share to society (old people) should be sold for dog food.

Fantasy, the vast majority of the time, is horribly boring.

Swap that for the Middle East. Lock all the extremists in a room with a glass of water each (paper cups, mind you), and one clock in the middle of a wall with an iterating loud ticking noise. Let them know that the door will only be unlocked once (a) everyone is friends; or (b) everyone has starved to death).

New Zealand should scrap their army - it doesn't protect us and just seems to be part of our international aide program.

On the Obama note, he was over-rated from the get go.

Rugby, cricket and netball (New Zealand's national sports) are amazingly boring. The first two are far too slow and dull and netball is basket-ball simplified - boring.

Jackson's LotR movies were way too over-rated. Especially those bloody ghosts!

People should need to apply to have children - under-going personality tests, education tests and general common-sense tests. Same applies for the ability to vote.

People who confuse emotion/irrational thought with logic should be branded on their forehead with a large L.

First-person-shooters, sports/racing games, and the vast majority of other games are for people with an IQ score somewhere in the realms of >60.

Splunge's comment about new born babies is true.

European Union is the future of Europe - Britain should either accept it or get started on building those sail-ships.

USA is going to tear itself apart - some big crisis in the next ten or so years as extremists become more and more out-spoken.

Patriotism/Nationalism is silly.

Conservatives (using this term in a generic sense - not in an American sense) - who are unaccepting of change - should be shot for the good of the country.

Unaccepting should be a real word.

Radicals who want to extreme changes - simply for the sake of change sake - should be beside the conservatives on the wall.

Anyone who is unable to separate religion and politics should not be allowed to vote.

Any politician who publicly announces (or even hints at) their religion while campaigning should be disallowed to run.

Thriller books are terrible - those horrible generic let's-make-five-hundred-identical-plots-involving-near-superhuman-characters-and-hidden-government-agency-conspiracies books should be burnt along side the writers/publishers who make millions off them and anyone who enjoys reading them.

And on a side note:
    That is one I've never heard before. As there is infinite possibilities there's just as much chance that a god may not exist as there are that one exists. Following that reasoning, God may just as well not exist, unless you can say a god may exist over here but not over there - a localised god, maybe? But that of course ruins the whole omni-presence idea.

17. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    :lol: I didn't phrase that too well I think! I meant the people that are quite happy to believe that anything is a possibility except the things that they don't want to be possible.....does that make more sense?

Also, I thought that unaccepting was an official word?

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1 - We have an army?

2 - Wash your mouth out. Rugby, cricket, and netball are awesome.

3 - Wash your mouth out again. The Lord of the Rings movies rocked.

It's so trendy for people to say that so-called reality TV is terrible, but:
    a) millions of people must be watching them
    b) they're no worse than any of the other stuff on TV
    c) it's loads of fun to laugh at the fat people on The Biggest Loser.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    While I cannot speak for all people who tend to not like reality TV, I think I have a bigger issue with the name "reality TV" than I have with the actual programming. I really couldn't care less which shows people prefer to watch, I get about 300 or so channels on my statellite, and so it's not like it's particularly hard to find something different if you're willing to look.

The issue I have is there is nothing real about reality TV. Everything on those shows is orchestrated and choreographed. (Perhaps not the eventual winner for shows like American Idol and Biggest Loser, but everything that goes on during the competition is.) If yolu want to watch "reality" TV, turn on the freakin' news. The attraction appears to be watching "regular" people doing stuff on TV, and how these regular people who are now on TV were just like you a couple of days/weeks/months before.

But there's nothing regular about these people - regardless of exactly what type of reality TV show you're watching, the whole point of the people who get on the show is that they possess a characteristic or ability that the vast majority of the population don't possess. American Idol consists of people who can sing way better than the average person. Top Shot has people who have far more accuracy with weapons - pistols, rifles, or even archery - than the average person. They are selected for the show exactly because they are NOT like you.

Furthermore, they aren't going to be anything like you once stardom hits them. The winner of American Idol gets a recording deal, which many previous winners (and even some who didn't win) have parlayed into a few gajillion dollars. There's almost a sad irony at work in these shows. The hook for the show is that they are regular people, but what you are actually watching is their transition from being regular people into media superstars. By the end of the season, they cease to be what they were when they started. So perhaps it's the transformational factor that people find alluring, but I still don't get it either way.

20. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Rangers little trip to Manchester was hardly uneventful. I do agree that there has been a big improvement and British fans are amongst the most non-racist. It is annoying the way UEFA go on as if the English are the only fans who cause trouble when so many others need to get their house in order. But I wouldn't overlook the importance of the modern policing and the simple fact that most hooligans are now priced out of top flight games. I think it's as much as the authorities are now controlling them as that the hooligans are behaving themselves.

Even the eventual winner can be orchestrated fairly well by editing the footage to show some people in a favourable light and making others look like ignoramuses. I remember Leona Lewis winning the X Factor with the 3 finalists all having to sing the same song. The song blatantly only suited a woman's voice and she was the only woman left :rolleyes:.

The lack of "regular" people on the shows is a reflection of the talent pool in America. In Ireland it's rare to find anybody with talent on them. Trust me, it doesn't make it an improvement.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.